Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks VS White's Boot sizing

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I have both "Smokejumper" (White's) and "Hotshot" (Nick's) firefighter/logger type boots, and also Packers from both companies, and I think the sizes in those two types of boots between brands are very comparable. At least they are for me.

I don't have any Nick's in other types, so I can't make comparisons on any other type or last. I'm sure if you have boots from either company, you could call their competitor and tell them what you're interested in, and they would give you a size recommendation.

Nick's Pro Builder is the same boot as their Hotshot, as far as sizing and lasts go, just slightly different thread and soles in the Hotshots to meet NFPA requirements.

Good luck!

Last edited:

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you for your reply Woodtroll you have hit on the last I am interested in. I am familiar with white's Smokejumper, 55 semi-dress, and packer 690 last and am considering giving Nick a try. I would contact Nicks and let them know what works for me in White's lasts

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Call Baker's and talk to their resident boot expert. Can't remember his name at the moment (Kyle?), but they'll immediately know who to put on the phone.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
+1 on Kyle from Baker's however I will caution this - Baker's do not appear to carry the Nick's
Neither does thier sister company - Drew's boots.
I have found thier sizing comparable, perhaps just a bit closer to brannock on the Nick's.
I have had a few pairs of both, but overall I have more pair of White's
Or just make the trip to Spokane and be fitted at Nick's in person! :)

Cornelius

Practically Family
+1 on Kyle from Baker's however I will caution this - Baker's do not appear to carry the Nick's
Neither does thier sister company - Drew's boots.
I have found thier sizing comparable, perhaps just a bit closer to brannock on the Nick's.
I have had a few pairs of both, but overall I have more pair of White's
Or just make the trip to Spokane and be fitted at Nick's in person! :)

Whoops! My mistake - I thought Baker's generally dealt with all the Pacific Northwest traditional boot makers, but maybe they only do White's & Wesco.
(I've only ordered White's from them myself)

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Yes indeed, if you're interested in White's, by all means go through Baker's. They offer pretty significant sales on White's boots several times a year, and make customization easy if there's something you want that's not an off-the-shelf offering from White's. And Kyle is the king of nailing down last and sizing questions for folks with fit questions and unusual feet.

Baker's did used to offer Nick's line as well, but dropped them a couple or three (?) years ago. Nick's customer service was non-existent at one time, and maybe that's the reason. But that's just conjecture on my part.

With that being said, work bought me a pair of Nick's Hotshots a few years ago, and I liked them well enough to inquire about a pair of Packers, but ran into the customer service problem. I tried again a year or so back, and they have done a complete turn-around with customer care. I was very pleased with the interaction I had prior to my order, and was also very pleased with the boots I received.

Both are very good boots. There are some differences in the way they do the welt stitching, each offers different models of what I'd call "more casual" boots, and both have crazy long wait times right now - longer than I think I've ever seen before. But if you're after the "work" boots they're best at, I really think you'll be happy with either.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy