Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Night Owls only

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I work rotating night shifts, and well I thought maybe there might be some other bleary eyed souls out there like myself who'd like to talk about the finer thoughts that amble across their brains in the wee hours of the morn, like so many zeppelins of a bygone era.

As you can tell, I'm already reaching critical mass.

I think it's interesting to consider that our thoughts are more "out there" when we're tired. I know my writing takes on more of a unqiue vibe on these lonley nights.

How 'bout it? Any other Owls out there? Where are you at, what are you doing and what rationale has you up so late?

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I've always been an extreme night owl, and if there is no need for me to be awake at 8 a.m. I can easily stay up 'til then! I mostly work evenings &/or afternoons; if I have to get up in the morning I really suffer, and have to nap at some point in the afternoon (or mainline caffeine!).

Delayed sleep phase syndrome anyone?!

P.S. It is true that the films are usually better in the wee hours! Love the quiet too!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Silver Dollar said:
I'm retired but I'm still a night owl. Some of the best movies come on in the wee hours.

I have noticed that it is not so much that the best movies come on in the wee hours, but rather that movies are significantly better when watched in the wee hours.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I love the ritual of getting up in the morning and getting ready for the day, and I LOVE being up at night when everyone else is asleep. Its the middle of the day that sucks.

LD

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Nocturnal

I go sleep at 9-10 PM and awake at 2 AM and stay awake for at least 2-3 hours. The best time of the day - you are alone with your ideas, world etc.
I listen often to Notturno a classic music programme on the Bartók radio - I "met" many classic composers through their programme. Good reading time.

Maj. I must say we have pretty much in common - creativity peaks when I got a few hours sleep and awake afterwards. I got accustomed to this at the uni times - realized that it does NOT make any sense to prepare for the exams till 2-3 AM since the last hours were a complete waste - rather rest than the few morning hours have maximum effectiveness.
Anyhow this is just a queer habit I know but as you told the brain is the most creative in the early hours. It is the best to do this at spring open the window and listening to the birds singing at 2-3 AM when it is still dark and developing into a choir at dawn.

Cheers:

Tom

Gaige

One of the Regulars
I work 14 days a month (on average) and my hours are from 6:45pm - 6am. I cannot seem to get off of that schedule on my days off either, so I'm always living when everyone else is asleep...

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Its a good point about the creativity flowing in the early hours. I do not know how to put it but my mind just flows better in the early hours.

It is nice to hear someone else is affected the same way.

Talbot

One Too Many
Mr Vim said:
I work rotating night shifts, and well I thought maybe there might be some other bleary eyed souls out there like myself who'd like to talk about the finer thoughts that amble across their brains in the wee hours of the morn, like so many zeppelins of a bygone era.

As you can tell, I'm already reaching critical mass.

I think it's interesting to consider that our thoughts are more "out there" when we're tired. I know my writing takes on more of a unqiue vibe on these lonley nights.

How 'bout it? Any other Owls out there? Where are you at, what are you doing and what rationale has you up so late?

You might be a Night Owl, but its just gone lunchtime at this end :)

I'm a forced night owl. I work second shift at the factory, was 3-11 but I got a promotion this week which has me working 2-10.

I'm really a morning person, at my last job, I worked 4am-12:30, and loved those hours. But I make almost twice as much at the plant, so you do what you gotta do.

Now, I'm up until usually about 3am, an hour after I was usually getting up for work!

Big advantage: less Stupid People and Dithering, Blithering Idiots awake to be in your way--you're the one on the scene, you have the responsibility and authority to make the decisions, and they have to deal with any consequences when they wake up.
Rule 18: "It's better to seek forgiveness than ask permission."

But remember also...
Rule 51: "Sometimes--you're wrong."

And remember always...
Rule 6: "Never apologize--it's a sign of weakness."

Chas

One Too Many
I work shifts in a psychiatric ward (going on 20 yrs. now) so I know all about night shifts. Sometimes on my days off I find myself staying up 'til 3 or later 'cause I lose track of time.

C'est la vie.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
I love the ritual of getting up in the morning and getting ready for the day, and I LOVE being up at night when everyone else is asleep. Its the middle of the day that sucks.

LD

Now this I really agree with. I'm more of a night person by nature. As such, I always missed the morning growing up, which I felt sad about in some ways. The morning is quiet, with cooler temperatures (in the summer), and the lighting is just peaceful.

My job now forces me to go to bed before sunset, and get up about three hours before sunrise. For the time being, this has stopped my nocturnal activity, as even on my days off, I'm usually asleep by midnight at the latest. However, I do get up the earliest I have in my life (when I don't have some place to be), and enjoy the mornings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner