Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Night Owls only

In railroading, it was said that being yardmaster in Pocatello was the railroad equivalent of Hell. Given that it was the toughest job in rail, the term "Pocatello Yardmaster" was regularly used as a derisive reference to "Boomers"--guys who tended to move around between railroad employers, since a great many of them claimed to have held that job. (I suspect it was a way to tell new colleagues something like "whatever you got, I seen worse, so don't mess around with me here.")

HepKitty

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
In railroading, it was said that being yardmaster in Pocatello was the railroad equivalent of Hell. Given that it was the toughest job in rail, the term "Pocatello Yardmaster" was regularly used as a derisive reference to "Boomers"--guys who tended to move around between railroad employers, since a great many of them claimed to have held that job. (I suspect it was a way to tell new colleagues something like "whatever you got, I seen worse, so don't mess around with me here.")

interesting, I've been here more years than I care to admit to and I never knew that

That's because the railroad industry has its own culture and arcana, and is not known for being welcoming to outsiders like during the Golden Era--back then, when they weren't busy enginemen would occasionally see a neighborhood kid around the enginehouse, invite 'em for a checkride and start teaching 'em the trade, with an apprenticeship as soon as they were legal; now, the more you want to do with the railroads the less they want to do with you, and if you have any rail-related hobbies you pretty much have to be In The Closet with it.

Unfortunately, the youngest of 'em died in the Sixties, but I'm from an old railroading family, so some of it got handed down through our own traditions even after we left the business.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
HepKitty said:
currently the worst part, dahling: Pocatello. originally from the beautiful North, and was fortunate enough to live in WA for a while and beyond lucky to live in Germany on a scholarship program for a year. I like Boise, I try to go there every few months or so. a girl's gotta get her sushi rice and eye makeup remover somewhere

Indeed, I miss Boise quite a bit, though I tend to split my time between its fair grounds and Austin, Texas.

Six hours to go for the night shift, but I'm thankful that it is rather gloomy and raining outside so the prospect of being indoors is quite nice. Anyone else get that feeling around the early morning when the weather is foul and you feel good being awake and inside?

HepKitty

One Too Many
Mr Vim said:
Indeed, I miss Boise quite a bit, though I tend to split my time between its fair grounds and Austin, Texas.

Six hours to go for the night shift, but I'm thankful that it is rather gloomy and raining outside so the prospect of being indoors is quite nice. Anyone else get that feeling around the early morning when the weather is foul and you feel good being awake and inside?

does the CG move you around a lot?

never had to work nights, but used to work seriously early a ms at the bakery... friday a m started at 2300 thursday after an hour nap, then after work had class, then saturday a m started friday at 2200. not fun being on normal people hours for half the week and baker's hours the other half but I loved the job

HepKitty

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
That's because the railroad industry has its own culture and arcana, and is not known for being welcoming to outsiders like during the Golden Era--back then, when they weren't busy enginemen would occasionally see a neighborhood kid around the enginehouse, invite 'em for a checkride and start teaching 'em the trade, with an apprenticeship as soon as they were legal; now, the more you want to do with the railroads the less they want to do with you, and if you have any rail-related hobbies you pretty much have to be In The Closet with it.

Unfortunately, the youngest of 'em died in the Sixties, but I'm from an old railroading family, so some of it got handed down through our own traditions even after we left the business.

my grandfather worked for the railroad and my dad wanted to as well but according to him, at time he applied, the RRs were hiring more women. poor Dad, he so loves trains

HepKitty

One Too Many
Mr Vim said:
Every three or four years, the good thing is, I always know that I'll be on the coast, for the most part and I'll see new places.

awesome. lived most of my life in this land-locked and 3rd world country called Idaho but when I was able to escape, there was a lot of water around, sometimes in the form of big rivers, others on the Baltic. love water one of the many things on my to-do list is scuba diving... one of the many many things *sigh* I need another 12 hours per day

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I'm debating on a cross country train ride, well from Seattle to Chicago anyway.

I keep hearing great stories and then I hear these horror stories. I just want a straight answer.

How's everyone elses night going?

HepKitty

One Too Many
Mr Vim said:
I'm debating on a cross country train ride, well from Seattle to Chicago anyway.

I keep hearing great stories and then I hear these horror stories. I just want a straight answer.

How's everyone elses night going?

debating are you kidding just go for it! I loved taking the trains in Europe, truth be told I only took a few road trips and the rest was by rail. never took any passenger trains on this side of the pond, just got dragged to the rail yards w/ my dad when I was a kid, then took my kids on the steam train between VA City and NV City in MT, short ride that it was. was fun though

not a bad night, have some new aviation stuff to read grace a DB, still have to clean up after working out then I can start reading. how about everyone else?

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Well, I'm stuck at work.

The problem with the train is the cost.

Because I live in Juneau, I cannot take a train there I have to fly to Seattle to get the train and on and on its a mess. I probably end up flying to Chicago, but someday I would like to ride the train. Maybe through California.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Mr Vim said:
Well, I'm stuck at work.

The problem with the train is the cost.

Because I live in Juneau, I cannot take a train there I have to fly to Seattle to get the train and on and on its a mess. I probably end up flying to Chicago, but someday I would like to ride the train. Maybe through California.

work... evil concept!

trains are expensive here, I'd say in a lot of cases it's cheaper to fly and that's not cheap either. other downsides are the limited rail service here and vast distances...

NDW76

New in Town
I used to be a night owl when I worked shift work. It had its moments. Like early on a winter's morning when I could watch the sun rise just before I headed home. Then in summer when the sun rose I would feel bright and happy because my day was almost over. But everyone on the day shift was miserable. I also loved the fact that the night holds no fear for night owls. It doesn't feel like you should be doing something like sleeping just because there is less light.

But what I hated was the poor health, the weight gain, the relationship trouble, the boredom and being woken up in the middle of the day.

Come to think of it, I'm glad I'm a teacher now. No more weird hours.

James71

A-List Customer
HepKitty said:
awesome. lived most of my life in this land-locked and 3rd world country called Idaho but when I was able to escape, there was a lot of water around, sometimes in the form of big rivers, others on the Baltic. love water one of the many things on my to-do list is scuba diving... one of the many many things *sigh* I need another 12 hours per day

Hey Ms Kitty, I associate with your love of water. Most of my life revolves around it. Im a water scientist for a living, have been a scuba diver since I was 16 (father and grandfather both instructors), surf, whitewater kayak, flatwater canoe....

You would love Australia. We are all about the water sports. :D

HepKitty

One Too Many
you have no idea of how badly I want to scuba dive at the reef if that's allowed. a friend was supposed to take me kayaking years ago but that never did happen *sniff* I'd try surfing if I had the chance but I assume I'd be terrible at it lol

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm not currently employed, but for years, I've had a tendency to stay up late, very late. At first, this came from the fact that I would stay up late to watch some shows on Adult Swim that I liked, such as Family Guy, Cowboy Bebop, Lupin III, etc. I also did research on my own time, mainly history, politics, and religion. This has gone a step further since then, about two years ago when college started for me, as I would often stay up late studying (not necessarily procrastination, more like extra studies done at these times). Usually, I'm up past midnight these days. I'd like to quit this sometime, and be asleep by a more reasonable hour, perhaps 10:00 PM, but right now I feel as if I can't be bothered to. My schedule, whatever it may be, works, and staying up late happens to work with it as well.

Good point about an increased sense of creativity at night though. I find that to be quite true, especially as I'm writing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn