Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Fedoras but our heads are warm

xwray

Familiar Face
Trying to learn how to post pictures...hope it works.

This is the only picture I had handy with hats in it...its a pic of some of the family taking Christmas eve dinner outdoors during a dog sledding trip last year. I'm the one that looks like a dork in the Russian Sailors cap...that thing will make your head sweat when it's 10 degrees outside.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I think those are termed "bombers" or "troopers" by the cold climate cognoscenti, but, like you, my family called them "Russians," so that's what I always called them, too. I had a Russian GI Joe that came with one that I still have--even though the poor soldier was the enemy and got his head shot off a lot.

Before I got the now-highly-collectible Russian "GI Vladimir," I had a Russian hat myself as a little kid. I hated that hat! It was just too hot even for the coldest days here in the South--like you said, sweating in it at 10 degrees-- but my mom would make me wear it. I doubt you ever wear yours at home in Houston, either.

In fact, I find that in temps down to about 10 degrees F, even in a stiff wind, a fur felt fedora is plenty warm--if you add '180s" ear muffs. When it's colder than that, I wear a down hood that came with my North Face parka, or simply migrate further south.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
AlterEgo said:
I think those are termed "bombers" or "troopers" by the cold climate cognoscenti, but, like you, my family called them "Russians," so that's what I always called them, too. I had a Russian GI Joe that came with one that I still have--even though the poor soldier was the enemy and got his head shot off a lot.

Before I got the now-highly-collectible Russian "GI Vladimir," I had a Russian hat myself as a little kid. I hated that hat! It was just too hot even for the coldest days here in the South--like you said, sweating in it at 10 degrees-- but my mom would make me wear it. I doubt you ever wear yours at home in Houston, either.

In fact, I find that in temps down to about 10 degrees F, even in a stiff wind, a fur felt fedora is plenty warm--if you add '180s" ear muffs. When it's colder than that, I wear a down hood that came with my North Face parka, or simply migrate further south.

You know, that reminds me. I was in 10 degree weather fairly recently, earlier this month in the mountains, and it was snowing and all. Thing is, I actually did bring along my Akubra Federation, and it was plenty warm enough for me, though still... chilly, heh. I also had two jackets on, a cotton/denim one, and another cotton on top. Just one layer, as far as pants are concerned, and leather boots. It was a wonderful trip before my semester started.

xwray

Familiar Face
AlterEgo said:

I think I remember the bomber caps from years ago. Actually, this is supposedly an authentic Russian Sailors hat unless it is a fake and I can't imagine why someone would make fake hats like this. I bought it from an importer of such things who had set up a table at one of our gunshows. I never would have deliberately sought out such a hat but when I saw it I had to have it. I'm glad I did. As you say, there is *zero* opportunity to wear it in Houston but it sure comes in handy when when we go snowmobiling in Yellowstone. Only thing is it doesn't smell too good when it gets wet...wonder what kind of fur it is made of. It originally had a Red Star medallion on the front but I thought that might offend some (we were in the middle of a cold war when I bought it) so I replaced it the Ruger logo which looks pretty sharp on it.

xwray

Familiar Face
galopede said:
Correct name for the Russian fur hat is a Ushanka. They certainly keep the bald patch warm!

Does that hold true even if it is a purpose made military hat?

Or, were there even any purpose made military hats like this ever made; ie, did the military just adapt Ushankas because they worked so well in keeping the noggin warm?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats