Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Noob question - looking for advice on late-30s to late-40s suits and wear.

JollyGreenSlugg

New in Town
G'day folks,

I've not long registered here after reading for a while, and I'm a novice when it comes to vintage wear. I'd like to replicate the late-30s to late-40s look, and would like to find a suit which would be representative of what an office-worker of the time would have worn. I've seen plenty of suits on the auction sites lumped under the banner of demob suits, and some of these are distinctly recent in appearance and manufacture.

What I'm looking for is something that a returned serviceman would have worn after discharge from the military. Either that, or something that a man would have worn before the war. I'd imagine that there'd be some variation in the decade, given wartime shortages, fashion and style changes and the like. I'm casting a fairly wide net to make it easier.

I'm not really looking for something that would be worn to parties or as one's 'best' suit, more a daily work suit. Certainly not some generic 'gangster' or Zoot suit look.

I'm an Aussie, so there may be regional variation, but something that I could wear that would have been common in the timeframe described would be great.

I'm 5'8" (173cm), 73kg (160lb), have about a 36" chest and no idea of sizing! I'm also not sure of colour. I understand that patterned ties would be appropriate.

Would an Akubra Stylemaster fit the time period? I have one, and while it looks generically 'old', I don't know enough to determine its appropriateness for that decade.

The film 'True Confessions', set in early-postwar Los Angeles has given me a few ideas, and I wouldn't mind something along those lines.

Any advice, thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.

*edit* found the Big Suit room sticky. Wow! After an hour's drooling, I'd still be keen on thoughts as to what's available today.

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy