Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not Another Akubra Fed Thread!

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Yeah, you're thinking, just what we need - like there aren't enough threads on this topic already. But I beg your indulgence. I have some stuff to show you that might be helpful.

Main points:
(1) For those who are tentative about shaping (bashing) open crowned hats of any sort, take heart. You can do this and there are very few ways to go seriously wrong.
(2) If your hat arrives with "problems", most likely you can deal with them yourself.
(3) Really good, tough hats thrive on a reasonable amount of abuse. Your hat will become better, not worse, for some deliberate "bashing" in the more literal sense.

Understand, I am not posing as an expert. Just passing along some experience I've had so far and showing you the results. All comments and criticisms are welcome!

What with the exchange rate and my satisfaction with two previous Akubra Deluxe Federations, I ordered two more IV's from Hats Direct - one in brown, one in "Heritage Fawn". Both are Deluxe models - Heritage grade felt. Saved on shipping - two traveled on one charge.

When they came, the brown was on top and the fawn underneath. Both had cardboard spacers, but that didn't save the fawn from getting crumpled.

This looks bad enough, but before I took the picture, I'd already straightened out the ribbon which was all scrunched down and wrinkled - just wet it with water, tugged into place, let it dry. On the brim, there were indentations left by the cardboard spacers (the soft foam they used was...useless). Also the back of the brim had an unsightly bend.

Step one: steam the open crown in sections and smooth it with a wine glass (rolling it rather than dragging) to iron out the wrinkles.

Here is the open-crown result of those efforts.

Not shown is the work I did on the back of the brim - making it more dished, hence more of a classic snap-brim. That was done by steaming it, pushing in the outer edge of the brim in the rear, re-steaming and pressing that flat again against a hard kitchen counter. The curve of the glass helped with this...harder to explain than show, but sorry, took no pictures. In the course of that, smoothed out the indentations and the irregular "break" at the rear. Really quite easy.

Next came the creasing. Started with nothing drastic. Don't, I beg you, start out with any really hard and tight bends. Go easy at first and steam in more open bends, only putting in tight creases when you are absolutely sure that's what you want. It is easier to undo the former, harder to undo the latter.

These colors are adjusted to be pretty true, by the way, in case you're wondering.

Next comes the part that will give fits to the squeamish...brace yourself!

Some say these hats are buttery-soft, others say they are stiff as cardboard. (Talking Deluxe only, here.) All five of my Heritage felt hats started out cardboard-stiff, ended up dress-hat soft. Here's how.

Blatant hat abuse! Repeated over and over until the hat becomes soft and pliable. So what does that do to the nice creasing job? Nothing. This is a lousy "after" picture, taken following a walk in the rain, but if you looked at the previous pictures, it would be exactly the same.

Moral of the story: These hats are tough, creases can be put in and taken out, they thrive on hard use and will be the better for rough handling, so don't baby them! Best wishes to all,

- Bill

carter

I'll Lock Up
Nicely done, Woodflutter. I second the abuse. The best way to soften up a stiff felt is mangling. It has the additional benefit of keeping one's hands busy. You know what they say about idle hands.

Now, I must go mangle an Akubra Riverina!

Woodfluter said:
Yeah, you're thinking, just what we need - like there aren't enough threads on this topic already. But I beg your indulgence. I have some stuff to show you that might be helpful.

Main points:
(1) For those who are tentative about shaping (bashing) open crowned hats of any sort, take heart. You can do this and there are very few ways to go seriously wrong.
(2) If your hat arrives with "problems", most likely you can deal with them yourself.
(3) Really good, tough hats thrive on a reasonable amount of abuse. Your hat will become better, not worse, for some deliberate "bashing" in the more literal sense.

Understand, I am not posing as an expert. Just passing along some experience I've had so far and showing you the results. All comments and criticisms are welcome!

What with the exchange rate and my satisfaction with two previous Akubra Deluxe Federations, I ordered two more IV's from Hats Direct - one in brown, one in "Heritage Fawn". Both are Deluxe models - Heritage grade felt. Saved on shipping - two traveled on one charge.

When they came, the brown was on top and the fawn underneath. Both had cardboard spacers, but that didn't save the fawn from getting crumpled.

This looks bad enough, but before I took the picture, I'd already straightened out the ribbon which was all scrunched down and wrinkled - just wet it with water, tugged into place, let it dry. On the brim, there were indentations left by the cardboard spacers (the soft foam they used was...useless). Also the back of the brim had an unsightly bend.

Step one: steam the open crown in sections and smooth it with a wine glass (rolling it rather than dragging) to iron out the wrinkles.

Here is the open-crown result of those efforts.

Not shown is the work I did on the back of the brim - making it more dished, hence more of a classic snap-brim. That was done by steaming it, pushing in the outer edge of the brim in the rear, re-steaming and pressing that flat again against a hard kitchen counter. The curve of the glass helped with this...harder to explain than show, but sorry, took no pictures. In the course of that, smoothed out the indentations and the irregular "break" at the rear. Really quite easy.

Next came the creasing. Started with nothing drastic. Don't, I beg you, start out with any really hard and tight bends. Go easy at first and steam in more open bends, only putting in tight creases when you are absolutely sure that's what you want. It is easier to undo the former, harder to undo the latter.

These colors are adjusted to be pretty true, by the way, in case you're wondering.

Next comes the part that will give fits to the squeamish...brace yourself!

Some say these hats are buttery-soft, others say they are stiff as cardboard. (Talking Deluxe only, here.) All five of my Heritage felt hats started out cardboard-stiff, ended up dress-hat soft. Here's how.

Blatant hat abuse! Repeated over and over until the hat becomes soft and pliable. So what does that do to the nice creasing job? Nothing. This is a lousy after picture, taken after a walk in the rain, but if you looked at the previous pictures, it would be exactly the same.

Moral of the story: These hats are tough, creases can be put in and taken out, they thrive on hard use and will be the better for rough handling, so don't baby them! Best wishes to all,

- Bill

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I agree with everything you said. Also, those squash marks on the fawn will naturally come out over time if you have the patience to let them be.

I love what you did with the fawn. Looks very sharp.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Thanks for the comments!

Actually, I think the creases wouldn't have come out on their own - the pictures didn't do justice to the folds. The only explanation I have is that the box got squashed a little, it is the warm season in Australia and it sat in a warehouse or shipping location of some sort in the heat before it got underway...I had to work quite a while on the crown to square it away. But the point is, anyone with steam and something to press with can fix this if they encounter it, which was why I posted.

Thanks also for the compliments about the shaping. Here is what inspired me - not an exact model, rather something intangible about the overall effect:

In accordance with, but in contrast to some aspects of this ad, I did a moderate (not tight) pinch at the front, carried that downward as a shallow depression all the way to the top of the ribbon, and backward toward the top halfway along the side of the crown. Sharp (tight) pinch at the upper part only, on either side of the center front. I liked the effect so much I re-creased the moonstone Fed the same way, and the brown. The earlier Fed III I left with the C-crown. It depends on the hat, and your particular face, and your preferences...just what I found worked best with this particular hat.

rrog

A-List Customer
Thanks for the help for those of us who are new. A little assurance that we're not ruining our hats goes a long way.

rrog

macfly

Familiar Face
There can never be too many akubra threads!
wow..thats great Bill. thanks a bunch. Some of us are visual learners so
that was one of the best pic series i have seen on how to do this. maybe next should be a post of a video of you steaming out the brim with a wine glass...doesnt really come through well without seeing.
thanks again.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
MacFly, I'd love to put up a video on YouTube, but I don't have a camera (could borrow one I guess) and would probably need to start with a hat I wanted to alter extensively. Might be able to do that at some point. Hope someone does, if I don't get to that first!

Also, thanks rrog and jecoe - that's why I posted and what I wanted to help with. In case someone else encountered this and figured they needed to send a hat back to Australia - don't! You can deal with it.

In passing, the folks at Hats Direct seem very responsive and honest and communicative. These hats are very good quality for the price. They are production-line items, meaning you might have to do some work to get them just as you'd like them. In the end, you'll get more value, if you have a little knowledge and are willing to do a little work yourself.

- Bill

MattJH

One Too Many
I really like the fact that you reflected the felt mangling. It reminded me of this YouTube video of somebody folding their Akubra Federation over and over again.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Dumbjaw said:
I really like the fact that you reflected the felt mangling. It reminded me of this YouTube video of somebody folding their Akubra Federation over and over again.

Just looked at that video - it's a Fed deluxe. Yep, it sure made the point! Tough, returns to shape, and you can see how soft and pliable it is. That one is about like mine. Thanks for the link!

david4king

New in Town
Ok so how do you rebash? Also, what makes it not get bent out of shape? Is it when you shape it, you steam it? Then whatever shape it was when wet it will return to?

babs

A-List Customer
Brim curl and re-bashing

GREAT thread.. On hat style shaping and not panicking when there's a boo boo more so than being just another Akubra thread.

I get the impression the Fed IV doesn't have a lot of curl, by design.. Saw some good threads in here basically about steam an iron and a cloth between the iron and the brim to work a curl into a wide-brim like the Fed. Just another note.

I guess after scoring a nice Dobbs OR clone and doing a conversion (which isn't rocket science, just a steam rebash into a fed and snapping the brim) I won't be after a campdraft Akubra for a while.. So the Fed IV may be my 1st Akubra lid.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=877757&postcount=6067

Steam and love without being too aggressive with sharp bends in the felt...
Before:
DSCN0779.jpg

Quick dry diamond crease to experiment:
DSCN0794.jpg

Steam and gentle coaxing into a tear-drop:
DSCN0797.jpg

DSCN0798.jpg

... my first time using steam.. I'm proud I know. :)

babs

A-List Customer
Mangling to soften up the Fed IV

Also.. On "softening" up the Fed. I noticed on my dobbs was fairly stiff, then relaxed a good bit after I I laid the steam to it and worked it. If a guy wants to regain some stiffness I guess just a spray of stiffener such as Scout, etc would do the trick.

Is the Fed IV treated with stiffener from the factory or is it more just the new felt?

stiffener

it's the stiffener, even fully pounced, without some type of shellac / stiffener, felt bodies are "floppy"

I have noticed that Akubra is not as consistent about the amount of stiffener in their hats, my fed creased nicely, where my Campdraft reqired a shower and lot's caressing to get it to retain the shape and my side dents still don't stay deep for long.

babs

A-List Customer
I can imagine the CD being a sort of "Open Road" or "stratoliner" style they may have it stiffer by design. Nice that it can be added if or softened up if needed. I can tell my dunlap is almost a little too soft after decades of service.. A block wouldn't hurt a bit first.

Goose.

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
I agree with everything you said. Also, those squash marks on the fawn will naturally come out over time if you have the patience to let them be.

I love what you did with the fawn. Looks very sharp.
carter said:
Nicely done, Woodflutter. I second the abuse. The best way to soften up a stiff felt is mangling. It has the additional benefit of keeping one's hands busy. You know what they say about idle hands.

Now, I must go mangle an Akubra Riverina!
Yep. What N-B13, Carter and the others stated about your post Woody.
Very nice.
I too was "concerned" when I had to bash my first Akubra (Sydney). Now, I don't give it a second thought. So easy, a caveman could do it. Really. Hard pressed to see how someone can mess up a Fed beyond repair.

653857253_zPLX9-S.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails