Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
They aren't vintage, but Frederick's of hollywood carries a nice selection as well as some of the "adult" stores around town, if you catch my drift. Persoanlly I love fishnet backseams and cuban heels.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
PS said:
I purchased a pair of vintage stockings that are new deadstock and have just few tiny stains from the packaging. Any recommendations on how to remove them?

I would just try washing them in a delicates wash like Hosiery Mate - most stuff comes out of stockings pretty easily. You should wash vintage stockings in something like this before you wear them anyway - sometimes the fibers get brittle with age and special washes will help restore the elasticity.

Lorena B

Practically Family
I used to get my ones in Primark when in London, you get two pairs (including the hold ups ones) for really cheap prices, no more than £2.00.

I have seen the same ones in "what Katie did" ten times more expensive!! uhff!!
I guess ill be back to Primark when visiting London!!

TheRedHead

New in Town
questions about stockings

Hi, I wonder if some of you ladies can advise me, I have alot of questions about stockings! Firstly, does 'fully fashioned' just refer to seemed? What are the best materials, (i'm sure this is largely a matter of opinion) What would be the authentic colour and style for the 1940's? And finally, I am 5' 8" and a UK size 12, shoe size 7, I think I need a 10 and a half, would 9 and a half be way too small?
Thanks,

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
TheRedHead said:
Hi, I wonder if some of you ladies can advise me, I have alot of questions about stockings! Firstly, does 'fully fashioned' just refer to seemed? What are the best materials, (i'm sure this is largely a matter of opinion) What would be the authentic colour and style for the 1940's? And finally, I am 5' 8" and a UK size 12, shoe size 7, I think I need a 10 and a half, would 9 and a half be way too small?
Thanks,

Fully fashioned means they come out of the package leg-shaped. They have no elastic/lycra stretchiness.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone tried the cuban-heeled tights from Foot Traffic? Of course, they aren't authentic, but since they're tights, they might be warmer for winter.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
Oh, thanks for that link, kamikat - that's a great solution (i can't stand wearing stockings, but I do love tights. Have you tried there products before? How's the fit?

The fit is iffy. They tend to be low-rise and some pairs fit better than others. Also, if you are at all near the line between regular and plus, get the plus. My favorite pairs have lasted a long time, without runs or snags and I love them. The pairs that didn't work were tossed out within minutes of putting them on.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Is the shopping cart checkout on Girdlebound not working for anyone else? I've been wanting to order a new girdle from them for awhile now and every time I try to I get an error. Is it just me??

TheRedHead

New in Town
Thanks for that Kamikat, as to my other queries:
authentic colour and material for 40's stockings
stocking size if you are 5' 8" and uk size 12, shoe size 7?
Had a look at the stocking size guide in the vintage shopping sticky but couldn't work it out!
Thanks!

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
Is the shopping cart checkout on Girdlebound not working for anyone else? I've been wanting to order a new girdle from them for awhile now and every time I try to I get an error. Is it just me??

I ordered a couple of days ago with no problems. I also just went on to test it out and got to the final stage of purchase with no errors. Maybe it will work if you use a different web browser?

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
Hi,
I was wondering if any of you, particularly the Va ladies, could suggest some stores that may sell seamed stockings.I've called Belk, Sears, Talbots, J.C. Penney, and a dance store. I didn't call Victorias Secret, but I looked on their website and may have overlooked them, so calling really wouldn't hurt. I really don't have time time to order them online because I need them for a Friday night dance.I've been so overwhelmed with what dress to wear that I didn't even think about stockings until my Mom mentioned them yesterday!Anyway, sorry to blab! Thanks so much for your help.:)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Small Town Girl said:
I was wondering if any of you, particularly the Va ladies, could suggest some stores that may sell seamed stockings.I've called Belk, Sears, Talbots, J.C. Penney, and a dance store. I didn't call Victorias Secret, but I looked on their website and may have overlooked them, so calling really wouldn't hurt. I really don't have time time to order them online because I need them for a Friday night dance.I've been so overwhelmed with what dress to wear that I didn't even think about stockings until my Mom mentioned them yesterday!Anyway, sorry to blab! Thanks so much for your help.:)

Read through this thread and you will find tons of recommendations for places to buy seamed stockings! VS does sell seamed stockings.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Small Town Girl said:
Hi,

The JCP here has them. You may just have to go by there. The people on the phone may not know what you're talking about :)

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the help ladies. I did look through the first several pages and couldn't find what I was looking for, oh well! I didn't get any stockings in time, which actually worked out better for me. I got some attention that I really didn't want as it was so I think it made it a little less awkward on my part that I didn't have them. :eek:fftopic: Thankfully the stupid dance is over, GOSH! I won't deny that some of it was fun, but there were two creepy guys hitting on me and I was getting so mad! I was trying to politely hint that they were creeping me out (if it's possible to hint something like that nicely) because I didn't want to scare off all possible dancing partners. I am fairly quick witted and blunt so when I get mad I tend to sort of blow people away and cause a big scene :eek: The good thing about that is I usually get my point across. It was just weird, but I did meet some people that were very nice.Thanks again for the help!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was chatting with Idledame at the Christmas party and we got into seamed stockings, contrasting seams to be more precise.

I was telling her how modern 'seams' are too caricature like in my opinion as to the big boldness of their contrasted seam. I was explaining to her that with vintage stockings, the contrasting seam was created by a piece of thread woven into the constructed seam of the stocking.

Idledame, here are the pictures I promised.

IMG_0616.jpg

The first one is a modern seam compared to a vintage contrast seam below it.

IMG_0618.jpg

This one has two vintage seams (the contrast seam and the brown seam) compared to the modern 'seamed' stocking.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany