Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The fabric looks like you might be able to get something similar from a very sheer curtain -- might turn out with something close to a service-weight stocking. I kind of question how well they'd fit thru the calves though -- look at a real pair of full-fashioned stockings and you'll notice the "fashion marks" on either side of the seam, where the knit of the fabric is adjusted to compensate for the curve of the leg. If you don't do that, and use non-stretch fabric you're going to end up with stockings that are too tight in one part and too loose in others.

One of you serger-owning gals needs to try this project and report back.

(And if anyone knows Miss Van Dimples personally, tell her she ought to be a member here.)

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
Help...

This is probably not where this should go so sorry if not but I have a question for those of you that dress vintage all the time.

I'm going to an outdoor event (WWII), and it's usually pretty hot and this is my first time actually dressing for all day (besides my hair and I figure I'd look less "odd" if I dress for the hair instead of just throwing on a modern sundress with 1940s hair!!!) and not just the event at night. What would have been the "norm" on stockings during the day?

missjo

Practically Family
Lorelai99 said:
This is probably not where this should go so sorry if not but I have a question for those of you that dress vintage all the time.

I'm going to an outdoor event (WWII), and it's usually pretty hot and this is my first time actually dressing for all day (besides my hair and I figure I'd look less "odd" if I dress for the hair instead of just throwing on a modern sundress with 1940s hair!!!) and not just the event at night. What would have been the "norm" on stockings during the day?

Depends on age, location, even religion or social background.
Generally though women wouldnt' be caught dead without stockings in Europe except at suitable locations like the beach or park.
But during the war this changed, stockings became hard to find and fashion tried to convince girls and women to go out in socks or kneesocks in stead of stockings.
For most of the war most women would try to wear stockings anyway while younger girls had less problems moving on to socks.
But at the beginning it was seen as poverty and unfetching, so women preferred stockings and would rather paint their legs with drawn on seams then walk around with bare legs or socks.
A elderly northern european lady told me that the first time she went outside without stockings in the street she felt the same as if they had told her to go outside topless.

Personally I never ever go out without wearing stockings.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
That part I know.
I just personally cant believe these can be from '43. lol Silk stocking from the war time!? AHHHHHHH!! :D

LD

Great find! Yes I agree, they're real.

A couple of years ago, at the local flea market, I purchased about 60-65 pairs of deadstock stockings - all in the original boxes and all unworn with the colored writing still on - from the war era. Several of the boxes had dated labels in them. Most were nude but there were a few different colors mixed in as well (navy blue, dark reddish). Over half of them were silk, but there were also some rayon pairs mixed in as well. I didn't ask the seller where she got them and she didn't say, I just whipped out my wallet! I have worn some of the rayons for WWII and 1940s events, although I also have some newer reproduction stockings that I use as well.

I paid less than $1/pair. You can all hate me now. lol

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
missjoeri said:
Depends on age, location, even religion or social background.
Generally though women wouldnt' be caught dead without stockings in Europe except at suitable locations like the beach or park.
But during the war this changed, stockings became hard to find and fashion tried to convince girls and women to go out in socks or kneesocks in stead of stockings.
For most of the war most women would try to wear stockings anyway while younger girls had less problems moving on to socks.
But at the beginning it was seen as poverty and unfetching, so women preferred stockings and would rather paint their legs with drawn on seams then walk around with bare legs or socks.
A elderly northern european lady told me that the first time she went outside without stockings in the street she felt the same as if they had told her to go outside topless.

Personally I never ever go out without wearing stockings.

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna assume it wasn't much different in the US???

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lorelai99 said:
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna assume it wasn't much different in the US???

Similar, but not quite as rigid. Here, it often was a matter of age and social class -- a middle-aged (in those days that meant about 35-50), middle-class lady would no more go into town with bare legs than she would dance naked in the streets, but a younger woman, or a working-class woman wouldn't worry as much about it -- she'd feel perfectly at home in bobby socks and saddle shoes instead of hose and heels. Leg makeup was around, but most women didn't like it -- it often looked cakey and if it was hot out, it'd melt off and get all over car seats, furniture, and clothing.

Sheer nylons in wartime would be saved for special occasions -- the everyday hosiery for women would be service-weight nylons if she had them, otherwise rayon or cotton. There were active propaganda efforts toward making cotton stockings fashionable for dressy occasions, but most women didn't buy it.

Lastex-topped knee-high stockings were also popular if you could get them -- they were much more comfortable in the heat of summer than full length hose. It was also common in warm weather to roll down long stockings to just below the knee, using homemade loops of elastic to hold them up, and relying on the length of one's skirt to keep them covered. Obviously this didn't work with the really shortish wartime dresses.

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
Similar, but not quite as rigid. Here, it often was a matter of age and social class -- a middle-aged (in those days that meant about 35-50), middle-class lady would no more go into town with bare legs than she would dance naked in the streets, but a younger woman, or a working-class woman wouldn't worry as much about it -- she'd feel perfectly at home in bobby socks and saddle shoes instead of hose and heels. Leg makeup was around, but most women didn't like it -- it often looked cakey and if it was hot out, it'd melt off and get all over car seats, furniture, and clothing.

Sheer nylons in wartime would be saved for special occasions -- the everyday hosiery for women would be service-weight nylons if she had them, otherwise rayon or cotton. There were active propaganda efforts toward making cotton stockings fashionable for dressy occasions, but most women didn't buy it.

Lastex-topped knee-high stockings were also popular if you could get them -- they were much more comfortable in the heat of summer than full length hose. It was also common in warm weather to roll down long stockings to just below the knee, using homemade loops of elastic to hold them up, and relying on the length of one's skirt to keep them covered. Obviously this didn't work with the really shortish wartime dresses.

Thanks!!

phylisanne

New in Town
vintage stockings

i live in brooklyn new york and i found a lingerie shop that had boxes of vintage rht nylons and i was able to buy each pair for just two dollars a pair.most of them are alberts stockings and they are a pleasure to wear.:p

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
I've always worn cheap seamed stockings to events and I wore my first pair from "Secrets in Lace" and I absolutely am in love with them!!! The extra price was very worth it and they actually lasted throught the event and stayed in place (except when one of my friends decided to help them not...) So to anyone that is looking for a pair or hasn't broken down and bought expensive ones yet, the ones from them are awesome!!

On a side note, I'm not getting emails from the longue anymore... can someone help me figure out how to get them again??

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I was by my Dillard's this weekend, and they were clearing out their Preston and York sheer thigh highs (stay ups) with back seam (nude hose, black seam) for $5.

Now these are thigh highs with a "stay-up" silicone band at the top, not true stockings which require garters, and they are the stretchy kind, but at $5 a pair, they aren't bad! ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy