Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
. I may replace the rayon grosgrain ribbon with real silk grosgrain. Apparently Mokuba still carries it, so I will stop by their store in Manhattan and hunt for the right stuff.
-Max

I found some silk grosgrain on line recently but the cost was a bit high, compared to the rayon. Another good thing about the silk grosgrain is that you can buy neutral, or white, slik grograin and dye it, or so read the website. Controlling the dye might be a challenge with tests being done on small sections, I suppose.

dean

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some other shots found recently:

9th_cavalry_camp_lawton_1_zps584834f8.jpg

3987031583_a3722db2f8_z_zpseaeb7abb.jpg

lavikpamps_zps7f162e45.jpg

dean

Last edited:

bsaguy

New in Town
Here is what I found on an official RMP website. According to this, the RCMP hats were originally Boss of the PLains which were individually formed in the field.

Website link is :http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/unif/stetson-eng.htm

"In 1891, a felt hat, which emulated the black felt hats worn by the American army, was allowed to be worn by members of the Force while on patrol duty. It was not found to be very practical in poor weather so members purchased their own hats creating a variation in colours and styles.

John Batterson Stetson of Philadelphia, who was the son of a master hat maker from Orange, New Jersey, created what became the famous Stetson. In the 1870s he began producing the western-style hat, then called "Boss of the Plains". This hat with the stiff brim and dented peaked crown soon became symbolic worldwide with the Mounted Police of Canada.

In 1894, Sam Steele ordered some of these hats in order to effect some uniformity amongst the headdress of his men at Fort Macleod . In 1897, the Mounted Police contingent that went to London, England for the Queen's Jubilee were issued these "Boss of the Plains" hats. The Force approved this style hat for private purchase in 1900, and finally in 1904 approved it as the regulation pattern. By the 1960s the hats were pre-dented with a uniform shape."

liten

One of the Regulars
was a good movie but the thing that let it down big time ,was the wardrobe, and :cool:they should have got dean in to shape up the hats

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Yeah, that hats weren't the only thing wrong with that film. They should have made it three episodes and not shorten the script so much. You can tell that it's either very badly written, or they butchered it to fit the time requirements. I won't throw off this thread, that's a discussion for another board.

The hats: simply wrong, and most glaringly obviously; the ribbon. An otherwise easy fix that somehow got overlooked.

-Max

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran