Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nudie Suits

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone read
grab-bag-hillbilly.jpg

?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Wish I had a Nudie's suit.

About 15 years ago, I could have bought a double-breasted gabardine Nudie's suit made for Gene Autry in 1947. Had his name in it and everything. In great condition, except for one tiny moth hole on the jacket.

It was sitting there at the "Wasteland" vintage clothing store in Melrose. Price was $250. About a size 42 Long.

How could I have passed it up?

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
The suits are very...unique..;)
Lots of famous and not so famous people had them made. They are western styled mostly, so its no suprise that Roy Rogers had a Nudie. But, so did Elvis. At one point, if you were famous, you had a Nudie, even if you never wore it. Their was one for sale on ebay just a few weeks ago. It might still be up for auction.

Chad

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Show us your Nudie Suits . . .

Following the musicians thread, does anyone on here own any vintage clothing made the famous Nudie Cohn of Nudie's Rodeo Tailors, and other similar vintage or vintage-style stagewear?

I don't own any, but I love to look at them.

The closest thing I have myself is a jumpsuit adapted from the original Bill Belew (Elvis Presley's designer) pattern, that I used to wear for my occasional gigs as an Elvis tribute artist.

l_26a89ab3b09d7143ecf4bf6e3aea86cc.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Please pardon me. My eyes are bleeding.

Have some mercy on those of us who actually lived through the 1960's and 1970's, and don't stir those awful memories, please!

I recall a Antiques Roadshow that had a series of men's Western Suits with similar work ups that were for the Country Western stars. Also they made not as flashy but still special suits for people that did not mind a little personal flash.

They spoke a little about the maker and how famous the suits were then and how collectable they are now. I can't recall the maker's name.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Not too long ago I was listening to an NPR interview with a country/bluegrass star and he mentioned the nudie suits of the late-'40s and early-'50s. He said it was a form of respect for the audience. When you went to a place like the Grand Old Opry in that era, you might not be right up close to the stage, so a nudie suit helped you stand out to those in the back. Further, he said, that the artists felt like those who took the time to come to the show deserved to see someone that had dressed up for them, not just someone dressed like them.

Kind of an interesting take on it, I thought. My personal favorite has always been the one Michael J. Fox wears in Back to the Future III - it's very Atomic Cowboy.

-Dave

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
Not too long ago I was listening to an NPR interview with a country/bluegrass star and he mentioned the nudie suits of the late-'40s and early-'50s. He said it was a form of respect for the audience. . . .the artists felt like those who took the time to come to the show deserved to see someone that had dressed up for them, not just someone dressed like them. -Dave

Would that artist happen to be Marty Stewart? I'm just guessing because I know him to be a big fan and collector of Nudie Suits as well as a big proponent of performers dressing for the stage.

And I couldn't agree more. I think actors and musicians alike show a lot of disrespect for their fans today by dressing so casual and commonly even when in the spotlight. What ever happened to glamour?

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
When it comes to Nudie suits don't forget Manuel. When Nudie turned Marty Stewart away for lack of funds it was Manuel who brought him back in and gave him a free shirt. Manuel Cuevas was Nudies head designer and eventually left Nudie and started his own business. Nudies hats sometime come up on ebay. The one I was interested in was a purple one owned by Gram Parsons, but it went for around $2500.

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
While I can safely say I don't know a soul who is fortunate enough to have the means to own a real Nudie suit, a dear friend of mine in Columbus claims to have lucked into two Nudie shirts for $15.00 a piece at an out of the way antique place. She always has had the best luck so I'm inclined to believe her without question...and I'll be honest, it did make me just a touch green eyed!! :)

davestlouis

Practically Family
A lot of the 50s footage is B&W, so you can't really tell if the suits are wild colors or not. Porter Wagoner wore some wild duds too, not sure if Nudie made the older ones or not. Don't ever forget that Porter was the pride of West Plains MO. That Hank Williams suit is pretty subdued, as these things go.

I just wiki'd Porter and confirmed that he was a Nudie and Manuel fan...so there.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:
When it comes to Nudie suits don't forget Manuel. When Nudie turned Marty Stewart away for lack of funds it was Manuel who brought him back in and gave him a free shirt. Manuel Cuevas was Nudies head designer and eventually left Nudie and started his own business. Nudies hats sometime come up on ebay. The one I was interested in was a purple one owned by Gram Parsons, but it went for around $2500.

Manuel was also Nudie's son-in-law. When Manuel divorced Nudie's daughter, he left Nudie's employment and started his own business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW