Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC hat repair

rrd

New in Town
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any places to get a hat made smaller in NYC or Philadelphia. I know that there is Worth & Worth
does anyone have any experience with them? I figure I need the hat reblocked, the liner sewn back in, and possibly a new sweatband. I would prefer not shipping it anywhere. Thanks for the help.

facade

A-List Customer
I took a hat there for some modest repair. They did an ok job. I looked at their hats while I was there. They all had cheap modern bands, so I would be dubious about going there for a new leather sweatband.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
Worth & Worth installed a sweatband backwards in my fedora! Never again..
I'd trust any future repairs to one of our local hatters at the Lounge.

rrd

New in Town
Any suggestions? I figured it would be better going to a actual store for the resizing. I have been using paper to reduce the size it works well may be better of not getting it done. Can I reinstall the liner myself?

carldelo

One Too Many
W&W did a good job on one of my hats (adding brim binding, changing ribbon) and a so-so job on the other (new sweat band, up-sizing). The sweat band was put in correctly, but the hat wasn't really big enough afterwards. Turns out they didn't take the ribbon off the hat when trying to stretch it bigger - duh....

If paper inserts are working well to down-size your hat, I would live with it. You can also use strips of felt to pad the sweat band, you can get it at a craft or fabric store, or here: http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/products?utf8=✓&keywords=hat although it's a darn big roll of felt...

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
The sweat band was put in correctly, but the hat wasn't really big enough afterwards. Turns out they didn't take the ribbon off the hat when trying to stretch it bigger - duh....
This reminds me W&W also stretched my hat up a size in the process of putting the sweatband in backwards..
If I wanted a crappy job done I could have botched it myself!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran