Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYPD going back to super strict 8- point hat uniform policy

metropd

One Too Many
I don't see how cops in the United States have such a problem with cover and cops all over the world many in tatical enviorments have no problem....well I guess it could be they don't have a choice. Some international departments are blending BDU uniforms with a
service cap - traditional cover.

As for the LAPD their are still some cops with style on patrol

a>

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Looking good...

metropd said:
As for the LAPD their are still some cops with style on patrol
a>

A rarity, indeed. At least here is L.A. officers on horseback wear cowboy hats, and motorcycle cops don their white helmets. About 5 months ago, for the first time in many years, I saw a LAPD officer patrolling downtown with her cap on. I told her that it was good to see a cop in a cap. Unfortunately, she was a bit chubby in the hips, the latter of which were weighed down with that tool-laden belt that most officers have to wear, so the effect was not as good as it could have been. Plus (and, yes, this is a bit :eek:fftopic: ), I don't think service caps look good on most women. That's why the armed forces issue different dress covers for females. Anyway, I think an officer without a cover is an anomaly, and I love to see NYPD officers in their service caps. (Why expose the top of your head to the elements, anyway?) LAPD needs to follow suit, as well as stop hiring some applicants who are short and chubby. A policeman (yes, I said policeman) needs to stand out, from the bottom of his shined shoes or boots, through the frame of his lean body, and to the top of his service cap! And I don't think the lack of hats has much to do with budgetary concerns; law enforcement simply has followed the way of a dressed-down public.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Interesting comments, and I especially appreciate the valuable insights of Indycop. As far as clothing is concerned, I also think that anyone wearing a uniform should make that uniform look as good as possible, whether an appliance repair person or a police officer...but very especially the latter!

Speaking as an observer, I think public respect is commanded by bearing, courtesy, and the professionalism conveyed by appropriate dress. The trend toward SWAT team outfits for regular duty is understandable but I agree that it may incite a reluctance to approach, convey useful information, ask for help, etc. They look too much like they're on the hunt full time.

Of all the uniform items, the hat is the first thing I notice, and I don't think I'm alone. Considering their responsibilities, officers should have excellent training and first-rate gear, whatever that costs. The public cheats and endangers themselves otherwise. My 2 cents.

- Bill

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Interesting thread into which I dread to tread..
OK - I better stick to topic then: I like the 8-peak hat.
I won't and don't have to wear it. Wouldn't go with my long hair.
But I like a recognizable pôlice officer when I need one.
(and support my son, who wants to join the police in one function or another)
Respectfully,
Paul

rrog

A-List Customer
PabloElFlamenco said:
Interesting thread into which I dread to tread..

Not being a police officer, I will also tread lightly. And this observation may be off topic, but the thread has injected "casualization" into the subject so I'll offer my two cents. As a minister, I have observed that people, increasingly so, are coming to church (at least to my church and the various associational meetings I attend) dressed much more casually than most would have imagined back in the 70's. I'm not just talking about Wednesday bible studies/prayer meetings, I'm talking about the Sunday morning worship service. It has gone so far that there some who would like the ministers to dress more informally as well. Their reasoning is that they want any and all visitors to feel at home and not feel out of place if they aren't wearing a suit and tie. I'm sorry, but I don't think the fact that I'm wearing a suit and tie will make visitors feel ill at ease and uncomfortable. I would much rather appear professional and dressed appropriately as a minister.

As far as police officers, my father is a career leo, having started on the county level and progressing up to state and then national agencies. His opinion is that the average patrol officer is not only viewed as more of a professional when dressed as a professional, but they act more professional when they are more professionally dressed. I couldn't give you any documented sources that back assertion up, only his opinion. YMMV. And let me add that even though I'm 43 years old, whenever I pull through a rolling road block and even when I get pulled over for speeding, I speak politely and say "yes, sir" or "no, sir" to that 21 year old officer whose job it is to enforce the laws. And I'm very careful to keep my hands in the ten and two position on the steering wheel the whole time! Whatever differences we might have about other issues, I respect the officers who go to work knowing there is a good chance their next traffic stop might be their last. In addition to the laws they are enforcing, they deserve my respect for that. (a tip of the hat to you officers out there)

rrog

Subvet642

A-List Customer
I'm a security officer at a "world famous teaching hospital" in Boston, we wear traditional "police style" uniforms and our company spends an enormous amount of money on them. They're very strict about the uniform policy, and this is a good thing. Most of us have no coercive powers, but if we look the part, it makes the job a lot easier. We have the peaked style caps, and I think that it helps the image. As for keeping our ears warm, we're issued "Gators" ear muffs, and they work pretty well with the cap. Our uniforms look exactly like the one in the photo posted by metropd.

Imahomer

Practically Family
When I see a cop in a uniform that fits well, is pressed and clean and has a uniform belt kept in place with keepers (rather than having it slung low on his hips) and hat and tie... I think that they look squared away. Obviously the tie isn't usually worn while they work dayshift, but more so in the evenings.

Anyhow the sloppy look is usually done by a cop who wants to look like an "old salt" even if he is fairly new.

Each Department has their own standards and standards are only as good as the supervisor who is supposed to enforce them.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
I personally don't agree with it. Instead of focusing on the appearance of your police force, focus on their performance. I won't like the cop with flagrant disregard for the laws he's supposed to be enforcing anymore if he's dressed prettier. Furthermore, function takes a huge precedent over appearance in big cities, in my opinion.

It's like show horses; feel free to get 'em done up all nice and pretty, but don't expect them to pull the plow.

My guess is it's being done to appease some funder of the PD.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Obviously, function takes a huge precedent over appearance and not just in big cities. However safety is 90 something percent perceived. That means looks are important. People feel safer when they see a cop and he is professional looking. They don't feel as safe when they spot a cop and he looks like a slob... even if he might happen to be the best thing since Dick Tracey. It's just the way it is.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Imahomer said:
Obviously, function takes a huge precedent over appearance and not just in big cities. However safety is 90 something percent perceived. That means looks are important. People feel safer when they see a cop and he is professional looking. They don't feel as safe when they spot a cop and he looks like a slob... even if he might happen to be the best thing since Dick Tracey. It's just the way it is.
I'd rather not feel safe and actually be safe than feel safe and not be.

An aside, I don't mean to show any disrespect for the good police officers out there.

Imahomer

Practically Family
B. F. Socaspi said:
I'd rather not feel safe and actually be safe than feel safe and not be.

Then you're a rare bird! I've had people complain about not feeling safe and I've assured them of all the safety features, including under cover officers being out there with them and that just doesn't seem to satisfy them. They want to see something that tells them they are safe.

No one really wants to be anywhere where they don't feel safe.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Imahomer said:
Then you're a rare bird! I've had people complain about not feeling safe and I've assured them of all the safety features, including under cover officers being out there with them and that just doesn't seem to satisfy them. They want to see something that tells them they are safe.

No one really wants to be anywhere where they don't feel safe.

Is it really surprising to find a rare bird on this forum? :)

It's just my personal experience, I suppose. My Pop Pop was the chief of surgery in a Philadelphia hospital for 50+ years, as well as serving on the board of 7 others. He has a lot of horror stories involving police officers abusing their rights (mostly racially charged, one included ensuring an eleven year old child's death by circling around city hall a few times before dropping him off at the hospital). Growing up with those kinds of stories, you tend to get a bit jaded. So no amount of police presence, in any form, makes me feel safe. I'm not outwardly hostile, I'm respectful and polite, but I'm certainly uncomfortable. Thus, I'd rather have well trained and good cops looking bad than good looking bad cops.

Imahomer

Practically Family
I understand what you're trying to say, but it's pretty unsual for me to hear someone say; "I'd rather not feel safe and actually be safe than feel safe and not be." I mean, how would anyone ever know when they were safe? :rolleyes:

Now days with liability and such, pretty much each officer gets the same amount of training as the next. Plus there is practical in service, or line-up training that constantly goes on, so you can have those well trained cops you're looking for.

Although, once again this will vary from one Department to the next, depending on size of the Department, funds available for training and requirements of that individual state.

Lastly, times change. Don't let what used to be influence your thinking of today, especially since what you're getting is a story, not a first hand expierence. imho

leo

One of the Regulars
B. F. Socaspi said:
...than feel safe and not be.

Most police functions do not involve actual protection of people. The "feel safe" in the form of high visibility patrol can be done but budgets are such that most officers are simply running from call to call clogging the dispatch queue. Only a few wealthy gated community can afford that luxury.

I was one of the lucky ones who survived to retirement. Half of my fellow officers did not. They stressed out or found better paying jobs or got beaten/stabbed/shot/run over and received a tiny disability payment or committed suicide or died prematurely or were killed on the job. I think life expectancy is still around 57 or 58. If we finished the shift without blood (sometimes our own) on our uniforms we considered ourselves fortunate.

The street guys where I worked hated the 8-point hats because they wore out much quicker than the round hats that were issued later. And yes, I wore clip-on ties, except as a detective supervisor when I could wear nice suits.

Hats were great when you needed to be visible, but otherwise they got dirty, bloody, toppled in the mildest of fights, trampled on, and stolen. While I do not like the looks of today's uniform ball caps, I do understand their practicality.

Bill

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
As a man who wears a uniform everyday, I say it's about damned time they take some pride in the uniform. Each individual reflects on the whole, whether good or bad, and personal pride translates to unit pride, and commands the respect of those around. Top marks for demanding the best from the Finest!

Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner