Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Of mouton collars...

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Not to detract from the mouton-lovers here, but I think you have to be careful, depending on where you live. In my conservative, little Midwestern city, a large mouton collar would come across as affected.

With that said, I'm glad Jan posted some pictures... He does a great job with his custom coats, and I particularly like the one on top (I don't think I've seen it before!). The shaved mouton is a little less crazy with all the warmth. Kudos Jan!

Edward

Bartender
Windward said:
Edward said:
Well - I think have to "ask google" about wested Indy because you gave me an inspiration . . . .BTW: If you want to part with your trousers - I wear a "mens" size 38:)

http://www.wested.com/indy-trousers--pants-6-p.asp

Don't go by the photos on the website for colour - my photos (at least on my monitor!) are ture to life colour. I'm sure there are much more accurate 30s-cut trouswers out there, and I'm not enough of an Indy gearhead to know whether these truly are as accurate to the screen as Wested claim. That said, they are nice troursers for the money, and they do look good when paired with other pieces for a vintage look. I do feel the waist could do with being just an inch or two higher in the rise, but that's to personal taste. I certainly wouldn't fault their quality for the money. I've worn them in all conditions, from the wettest of London Winter nights to the heat of walking along the Great Wall of China in late May heat, and always been very pleased.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Heres my favourite, my Real McCoys Japan B-10 with mouton collar.

b-10014-2-1.jpg

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Well, I want a mouton partly because the last winter here (in London) was so fiercely cold and I didn't really have anything that cut the mustard.

Jan, this shaved mouton of which you speak -- did you specify that when you ordered or even do it yourself? Is it less warm than the fluffy variety?

And what do you chaps think in general: are mouton collars affected?

Sir J

Windward

Practically Family
Thanks

Edward said:
Windward said:
http://www.wested.com/indy-trousers--pants-6-p.asp

Don't go by the photos on the website for colour - my photos (at least on my monitor!) are ture to life colour. I'm sure there are much more accurate 30s-cut trouswers out there, and I'm not enough of an Indy gearhead to know whether these truly are as accurate to the screen as Wested claim. That said, they are nice troursers for the money, and they do look good when paired with other pieces for a vintage look. I do feel the waist could do with being just an inch or two higher in the rise, but that's to personal taste. I certainly wouldn't fault their quality for the money. I've worn them in all conditions, from the wettest of London Winter nights to the heat of walking along the Great Wall of China in late May heat, and always been very pleased.

Edward - this is another very helpful information - thanks a lot !!

JanSolo

Practically Family
Jan, this shaved mouton of which you speak -- did you specify that when you ordered or even do it yourself? Is it less warm than the fluffy variety?

When I ordered the jacket I asked for a slighty less thick fleece. I don't know if it's really shaved or if Aero offers Lambskin for mouton collars in different grades but it's without doubt thinner than average. I would NEVER EVER try to shave it myself.
When compared to the plush collar of the Cafe Racer it's definitively less warm which makes my M422a more versatile. I very often wear it in summer with just a vintage t-shirt, old jeans or cargo pants and Clarks desert boots or vintage Converse Allstars. Works very well and looks fine.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Sir Jacket said:
Well, I want a mouton partly because the last winter here (in London) was so fiercely cold and I didn't really have anything that cut the mustard.

Sir J
No more affected than wearing a scarf on a bitterly cold day or turning up your collar in the rain. To me and perhaps most other people, mouton is nothing more or less than a functional part of a warm garment.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
I have just received three mouton samples from Aero (very prompt, I might add). They are mid-brown, rust and dark brown. They are all very beautiful and feel even softer than I expected. I would happily order one jacket with each collar, but I can't. For me, I feel the "rust" could be a little too ostentatious, so it leaves me tossing up between the other two and leaning more toward the mid-brown.

Sir J

Edward

Bartender
Mr. 'H' said:
:eusa_clap

That's a great look Ed! I was going to get one of these when I got my A2. Really nice.

Thanks. It's interesting to compare the two, actually. The AN6552 definitely has a snugger fit than the A2 and the goatskin (as opposed to horse) has a different feel to it. Whatever the mix of features (maybe even just the collar?) the USN jacket definitely feels just that bit warmer.

Sir Jacket said:

Sir J

I don't think the mouton looks affected. You'll find a lot of folks associate it with seventies cop shows for whatever reason, but I don't see it as being any more affected than any leather jacket nowadays, certainly much less so than a motorcycle jacket for those of us who don't ride. Or, for that matter, a fedora in this day and age. I'm a fan of the rust myself, but if you're concerned about it 'sticking out', I'd suggest whichever brown tones in closest to the collar. Of course, a mouton collar alone won't be enuogh for the Winter, you'll need to think of a heavier lining in there - plus allowing extra room for a sweater.

There is only one drawback to a mouton collar, imo, and that is the rain. Not as bad as a sheepskin collar on a B3 or an Irvin, but still, it gets soggy when wet... you might want to think about that if you go for a design with a large collar. I'm hoping within the next couple of years to afford a Barnstormer with a few extra inches' length (basically to take it to just above the knee so it can be worn as an overcoat over a suit) for Winter wear; I'm tempted to have a rust mouton collar added, but wary of the wet...

Edward

Bartender
Dinerman said:
WWII M-69 Transport coat.
P1010283.jpg

That's something close to what I have in mind with the Barnstormer idea I mention above. Nice coat; I'm sure I've seen a photo of Eddie Cochran in one.

lgcarp

New in Town
Mouton Madness

Newbie here! I've been collecting mouton fur collared jackets since the late 1990's. I have collected every kind and label of motorcycle, flight, bomber, trucker, overcoat, ranch jacket, etc. Mouton collared coats only intensifies a man's masculinity. You betcha!

Hey guys! Don't I need 15 posts before I will be allowed to post lots of my treasures?

Windward

Practically Family
pics pics pics . . . .

lgcarp said:
Newbie here! I've been collecting mouton fur collared jackets since the late 1990's. I have collected every kind and label of motorcycle, flight, bomber, trucker, overcoat, ranch jacket, etc. Mouton collared coats only intensifies a man's masculinity. You betcha!

worthlesswithoutpics

;) Your avator seems to promise that you like to show some of your treasures. Am I right??

Welcome to the lounge and enjoy!!

Windward

Hepville

One of the Regulars
This was my jacket for winter I´ve made for myself:

l_06017882c10e40e98ac0b82ff8ce3e57.jpg

l_01fcc9e687d143c78f5e253ddc5c2399.jpg

It´s lined with pure new wool and really kept me warm with just wearing a shirt and sweater or pullover under it even in the coldest days.
And turned up the collar covers half of my face and saves me good from the cold without wearing a shawl.

Papa M

A-List Customer
Edward said:
There is only one drawback to a mouton collar, imo, and that is the rain.

They're not too great when you drink too much and puke over them either!lol

(Not that I have been in that unfortunate situation for many years - and I hope you'll never experience it Edward.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay