Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Of Sheep-Dip, Rot-Gut, and Furniture Polish. The worst of the worst.

filfoster

One Too Many
Rum=Rubber Bands

Atinkerer said:
Hi all,

This is my first post :)

I really love a good dark rum. One day I thought I'd try something called Goslings Black Seal. The label says it's rum. It looks like rum. But judging by the taste, it can't possibly be rum. This stuff was so bad I couldn't swallow a drop of it; did a sprint to the sink like an Olympic runner on crack. It was so disgusting that I wouldn't have it in the house for fear it might come in contact with human food or living tissue.

Tony
Welcome to the Lounge, Atinkerer. Pull up a stool. Did this rum taste like rubber bands to the highest power? Regular rum has that flavor to me, neat or on the rocks, which I sometimes drink, to see if it ever tastes better. That makes me an optimist.(And out of Scotch or Bourbon).

rumblefish

One Too Many
The thread about beer and tomato juice reminded me of this abomination- Budweiser Chelada. I wont even bother to explain the tasting notes, read about it here; http://www.ratebeer.com/Brewers/Beer/Beer-Reviews-74833.htm
I really had to try it twice. After the first sip I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth quick enough. Then a minute later I had to try it again, just to make sure it is as awful as I first thought,,, and I do like beer and tomato juice.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
rumblefish said:
The thread about beer and tomato juice reminded me of this abomination- Budweiser Chelada. I wont even bother to explain the tasting notes, read about it here; http://www.ratebeer.com/Brewers/Beer/Beer-Reviews-74833.htm
I really had to try it twice. After the first sip I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth quick enough. Then a minute later I had to try it again, just to make sure it is as awful as I first thought,,, and I do like beer and tomato juice.

Chris, I think you may have possibly hit the jackpot for most obscene tipple. That makes me gag just thinking about it. Vile *yucky*

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm OK with Campari, actually, but I hate ..

I'm OK with Campari, actually. I cannot remember how I have drunk it: perhaps over ice with oranges squeezed into it and some sparkling water added. And I had Chartreuse in something good once. As for Fernet, I had a shot with FedoraGent once at a North Beach bar "to condition the stomach before drinking" and I rather liked it. (A drinking session that produced my current avatar photo, and that may be Fernet in the glass.)

But I hate ...

1. Any flavored Schnapps, such as mint or peach. Or ginger (ugh). I have had real Schnapps at an Austrian friend's house, and it had no flavor. It was great after a meal of barely cooked beef, delicious.

2. This is embarassing because of all my concern with Greece, but the times I tried ouzo, I hated it. I like Metaxa -- which is Greek also, but has nothing in common with ouzo whatsoever.

3. Jagermeister: horrid. "t may be a concoction that mixes two noxious spirits, one having the gold leaf in it, to amuse the bowels." Brilliant use of the word "amuse," Filo. Brilliant.

4. Red Bull. Sick.

filfoster

One Too Many
Tipple topple

Smithy said:
Chris, I think you may have possibly hit the jackpot for most obscene tipple. That makes me gag just thinking about it. Vile *yucky*

Can anyone compare it with Zima, which met its just fate? That would require someone to admit to sampling both. On second thought, that might be too embarassing an admission. We'll never know.

Dr Doran

The Bud Chelada should be renamed the Vomitosa. That's so sick I put it on my facebook page.

I still don't know what cynar is. Artichoke liqueur?

Doran said:
The Bud Chelada should be renamed the Vomitosa. That's so sick I put it on my facebook page.

I still don't know what cynar is. Artichoke liqueur?

Vomitosa is a good name.
Cynar is indeed supposedly an artichoke "liqueur." However, it is more like drinking some strange concoction of castor oil and bitter herbs medicine. Try it and let us know what you think. ;) :p

Dr Doran

OK, hold on. Here are my cynar questions:
1.) Where did you hear of it?
2.) When and where was it in vogue
3.) What drinks are made with it
4.) Does anyone alive like it? Who?
5.) Where does one buy it?
6.) Who buys it? Demographically.

Because now I'm curious to try it.

Doran said:
OK, hold on. Here are my cynar questions:
1.) Where did you hear of it?
2.) When and where was it in vogue
3.) What drinks are made with it
4.) Does anyone alive like it? Who?
5.) Where does one buy it?
6.) Who buys it? Demographically.

Because now I'm curious to try it.

1.) I saw it on the shelf and was stupid enough to buy it and try it. :rolleyes:
2.) I am not sure where the heck it was in vogue. Maybe in countries where people lost their tastebuds due to a tragic toxic accident? [huh] :p
3.) Believe it or not there are many drinks made with it. Check further up in the thread where I list a few Bud Chelada type recipes.
4.) I ronically the creator of this thread loves it. ;) :p lol lol
5.) I got mine at BevMo. I wonder if I can get my money back if I return it. :rolleyes:
6.) I would guess it is an Italian thing. Since Roman times they have had an affair with the artichoke. This is taking it to a significantly sickening level. :eusa_doh:

rumblefish

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Yep, that is where the name comes from. The Liqueur comes from a hotter, darker place of old where you have to pay Charon to get across the river. ;):p
Virgil had it in a flask. (deleted from original story):D :p
It made the trip across a little nicer.;) :p

rumblefish

One Too Many
Doran said:
Or maybe he died just from drinking the crap.
It's been proven that, as bad as it tastes it can not kill you. Although, it may make you wish you were dead.:D

jamespowers said:
lol lol lol lol lol The drink of heretics everywhere. :p
And Ghibellines,,, at least in Tuscany.;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
You tried Unicum?! I feel sorry for you.
I would avoid that one based on the name alone.

Worst spirit I can recall tasting was one of those Oregon pear brandies with the fruit grown right in the bottle. Maybe I just don't like pear brandy, this was fairly high-end stuff, but it had a nasty syrupy-bitter undertone that suggested it might be good for degreasing small metal components.

Carlisle Blues

Not for anyone's consumption

boones.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR