Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offwhite Tropical Suit and a Big Guy

Buddy

New in Town
I'm considering a suit made in a tropical linen or some such in a offwhite or natural colour. Given that I am the size of a small bus, I'm going for the Sydney Greenstreet look, sans fez.

I was looking over some prints from Casablanca and was surprised to see notched lapels on what looks like a three button suit. Across the Pacific was even more frightening with a double-breasted white suit. I'm not sure I have the ...um..whatever... to pull that off with a 66 inch chest!

Does anyone have any real life or cinematic suggestions of a large fellow in a white linen/tropical suit?

I'm looking for a nice, classic look (I'm on cruise ships and liners a lot), something that might catch an eye, but not frighten the children. I'd rather hear "Gee, he looks like that dude in Casablanca" as opposed "What the hell is that and it's coming towards us!!!"

Any ideas?

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
You've obviously thought about your look carefully and I see no reason why you can't pull it off. I might be inclined to go for DB but SB looks good too. I think two-button would be a better choice than 3 on an SB, but that's just my opinion.

I will share my experience with an off-white suit. I had one made and it is great, but I have found it less than versatile in all but the most tropical climes. Something more beige/sand-coloured might be more practical. However, off-white is a very classic choice and does look good.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
If you're going to have it made, then get the features that you want. I think that off-white should look great! I'm a big guy too, 6'-0" 54R. What I've been looking for (and I think I've found it) is a DB, 6 on 1 (6 buttons, 1 to close), with peak lapels. The button to close is rather low, about at the belt area, so it should hang well. It's a very 30's look.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
gr.jpg

Paul Whiteman

horse%20welles%202.jpg
200510-orson-welles.jpg

Young Orson Welles

_39978095_ustin_nile300.jpg
Image2.jpg

Peter Ustinov, as Hercule Poirot

jdh1.jpg

Sorrell Booke, as Boss Hogg

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
there is actually a book made by the show "what not to wear (US version)" which discusses how to dress male body types. It might help you with the details

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart