Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh My!

Rosie

One Too Many
This has to be one of the funnier things I've run across. Rest assured we won't be seeing this in any modern stores.

58_1.JPG

At least the little cartoon lady looks like a regular gal.

P

Paul

Just imagine the outrage if that packet was on display in shops these days. Mind you I do not think "Plus size" is any more PC just sound a little more modern.

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
I had a 1950's magazine with an add for bigger girls clothing and the brand name was "Chubbette". I can't seem to find the ad now, but I similiarly thought about how such a brand name would go over today. Though, I think today's calling larger-sized clothing "Extra-Cool Size" is just as ridiculous.
-Stormi

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Maybe not in the US, but I remember some of the brand names for larger clothes from when I lived France, and the one that always stuck with me was "Grandiose." Plus size in France means anything larger than a small size 14.

"Grandiose" may not be as derogatory as "Chubbette," but still...yikes. When I first lived there and realized that clothes--apart from muumuus--were going to be a nightmare to find (I'm a size 16 in US sizes), I tried asking a clerk at a large clothing store if they carried anything larger than a 44 (a small size 12). The look of disgust in her eyes was absolutely devastating, and her answer was even more so--a quick and curt, "Non."

Even the shoes were small--the biggest size shoe stores commonly carry is about a 9 1/2, which was also difficult as I generally wear a size 10. And in a country where you can still find independent lingerie shops all over the place, bras run very small.

I ended up finding the rare shirt that would fit and having my mother ship things to me if I needed them. For the most part, though, I didn't shop. It was too bad, because the clothes there are beautiful. I have one pair of black pants that I managed to find at a discount store, and over two years, many wearings and many washings later, they still look brand new.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I dont find real offence in the names, (Chubbette is kinda cute) but for me its advertising to the big gals but not really showing them, as in the package that Rosie started this thread with. Shes on there but JUST her head and feet are seen! Wha!?

All the 'bad parts' are covered. ;)
Also our secret weapon are body shapers, puts all the stuff in the right places *know what I mean*.

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
I don't mind the names either. I'm a proud fat girl. ;) But LD, you're right, I hadn't noticed her "bad parts" being covered. lol I just saw a sort of bigger gal and the name and laughed. I think it's cute.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
You're right, you would never see this now! The first thing that struck me was that the woman is actually a larger size--so many "plus" models nowadays are a size 14. My favorite vintage term is "Slenderette"--I have a friend who is nearly 60 who says she is still recovering from the shame of having to wear Chubettes.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Oh I wish you knew where that ad was. I have a friend who is a proud chubby and she would love it!

MoxieGrl said:
I had a 1950's magazine with an add for bigger girls clothing and the brand name was "Chubbette". I can't seem to find the ad now, but I similiarly thought about how such a brand name would go over today. Though, I think today's calling larger-sized clothing "Extra-Cool Size" is just as ridiculous.
-Stormi

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
LolitaHaze said:
Oh I wish you knew where that ad was. I have a friend who is a proud chubby and she would love it!

Well, I went searching for it, but I think I sold the magazine it was in. It was really cute... full page ad, with a dividing line down the middle, with a picture of the same girl of about 9 in the same plaid dress on either side. On the left side she was wearing the dress regularly size, and she it pulled and puckered all over and she looked sad. On the left she was wearing the dress in "Chubbette" sized and it fit smoothly and she was happy looking.

Bah, I wish I still had it now. I think it was the only thing worth redeeming in the magazine though, and I figured its better to sell it than cut out the one page.
-Stormi

GOK

One Too Many
Heheh, I just Googled it and this thread came up second in the results list!

The term I hate is 'curvy' - slim women can have curves too y'know! But it's not as bad as size I-haven't-eaten-since-1999 models advertising plus sized clothes.

And that's not as bad as plus sized girls trying to squeeze into skinny-girl attire. I think shops should have manniquins in their windows that reflect the true sizes of the average woman. Perhaps then people might think twice about trying to fit into footless tights and belly tops <shudder>. :rage:

Elaina

One Too Many
I've said it before and I'm going to say it again: fat girls should not wear jersy pants. Nor should pregnant women. Why is it that Roaman's and Layne Bryant think we need to see it (or try to fit into it)?

I'm chunky, although I prefer the term "fluffy".

GOK

One Too Many
Elaina said:
I've said it before and I'm going to say it again: fat girls should not wear jersy pants. Nor should pregnant women. Why is it that Roaman's and Layne Bryant think we need to see it (or try to fit into it)?

I'm chunky, although I prefer the term "fluffy".

Elaina, I think I love you! lol

Anndddddddd........

Why do pregnant women insist on having their bump exposed to the elements? It's horrid, really uncouth. It just looks as though they are proclaiming the fact that a) they have a sex life and b) they are fertile...neither of which I need to know, thank you very much.

Oh dear, I'm becoming a 'grumpy old woman' - move over Germaine! lol

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
GOK said:
Heheh, I just Googled it and this thread came up second in the results list!

The term I hate is 'curvy' - slim women can have curves too y'know! But it's not as bad as size I-haven't-eaten-since-1999 models advertising plus sized clothes.

And that's not as bad as plus sized girls trying to squeeze into skinny-girl attire. I think shops should have manniquins in their windows that reflect the true sizes of the average woman. Perhaps then people might think twice about trying to fit into footless tights and belly tops <shudder>. :rage:
The manniquin things bothers me in "regular" stores, I think the average manniquin size is a 0. However, it bothered me even more when I went into Layne Bryant last week with my sister who is a size 16/18. The manniquins themselves were probably a size 10/12 (maybe smaller, I am about an 8 and they looked about my size, possibly a little larger.) On them they had the Layne Bryant sized clothes which were all rolled up and pinned in the back to make them fit. How stupid is that!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MoxieGrl said:
Well, I went searching for it, but I think I sold the magazine it was in. It was really cute... full page ad, with a dividing line down the middle, with a picture of the same girl of about 9 in the same plaid dress on either side. On the left side she was wearing the dress regularly size, and she it pulled and puckered all over and she looked sad. On the left she was wearing the dress in "Chubbette" sized and it fit smoothly and she was happy looking.

Bah, I wish I still had it now. I think it was the only thing worth redeeming in the magazine though, and I figured its better to sell it than cut out the one page.
-Stormi

I found this one...
chubbette.jpg

I think this is what most of it says...
"Don't worry," comforts your mother. "You'll thin down in a
few years." But-who wants to waste precious Teen years, just
waiting for pounds to melt off? Much smarter and ?smoocher? to wear
Chubbette fashions, designed to minimize, sized to fit.
Left, Plaid gingham with fool-the-eye ruffles, about $11. Center,
Ruffled rayon blouse, about $5, plaid skirt about $3. Right, Date dress
of ?Crompion? corduroy with green accents, about $15. Shoes,
Left to right, by ?Vitality?, ?Sandler?, and ?Deco? Knitting needles
and accessories by Hero. Weight-Above-Average Wardrobe, sizes 10 1/2
to 14 1/2, at B. Altman, New York; The J. T. Hudson Co., Detroit,
Mitch; ?Gimbela? , Philadelphia, Pa; Famous-Barr, St. Louis, Mo.​

These are dresses for 14 and 15 year old girls tho. They were just womanly before their time.

Shes wearing seamed stockings with socks. Ive never seen that before lol A tad bit overkill, dont you think?

LD

Kim_B

Practically Family
Wow, flashbacks to my childhood...I had to shop in the "chubby" section when I was a kid. Talk about humiliating!! :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wasn't chubby, I was what my Mom referred to as "husky", now there's a word I'd prefer never to hear again!!
I think I could fit in the other sizes, but my Mom was intent on making a little version of herself. Oh, how I wanted to wear the styles that my friends were wearing. I used to borrow my friends Nikki and Andrea's clothes. They would bring outfits to me at school and I would change in the bathroom before my first class! I can still hear my Mom's voice echoing in my head when I was about 11 "You don't want to be a chubby teenager, you'll never have a date"!! This strategy of hers to make me watch my weight only led me to sneak junk food on a regular basis. And I wonder why I have such a negative body image!!

This ad is funny because the girls are all small. I too love the seamed stocking with the socks. I guess the equivalent today is big socks with Teva sandals!!

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
Daisy Buchanan said:
I wasn't chubby, I was what my Mom referred to as "husky", now there's a word I'd prefer never to hear again!!
I think I could fit in the other sizes, but my Mom was intent on making a little version of herself. Oh, how I wanted to wear the styles that my friends were wearing. I used to borrow my friends Nikki and Andrea's clothes. They would bring outfits to me at school and I would change in the bathroom before my first class! I can still hear my Mom's voice echoing in my head when I was about 11 "You don't want to be a chubby teenager, you'll never have a date"!! This strategy of hers to make me watch my weight only led me to sneak junk food on a regular basis. And I wonder why I have such a negative body image!!

Change the names of the friends and I could've written that! I think I heard "You're such a beautiful girl, why not work on your weight a little?" from like .. everyone. I genuinely believe that all of my self image issues come that one single sentence.

I spent the first 2 years of high school as a tom boy because it was easier to wear shrink to fit 501's and Surf shirts than it was to walk into a changing room. (Remember when 501's were a mere $15?)

I think you're .. WE'RE .. all gorgeous :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick