Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh no..dishpan hands!!

Cigarband

A-List Customer
While watching a commercial about dishwasher detergent, I remembered this horrible malady from back when I was a kid in the 60s. Since we Loungers probably hand wash more than use dishwashers, are we keeping this scourge alive?:D

2463291353_c09e9454e3.jpg

Truth in Advertising? Or victim of a Marketing Ploy?

I do hand wash my dishes 99% of the time, as well as a good portion of my laundry. And aside from the fact that the drier climate in Arizona requires a more liberal use of lotion, I say no, not really.

Of course everyone is different, but since most of us no longer use lye-based soaps, we probably aren't much in danger of this malady. Plus, the point here was to sell product.

I certainly don't have absolutely perfect skin, but then who wants that when you can have such a handy housekeeper instead?? :D

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dish soaps and hand soaps have changed markedly over time. Both aren't as harsh as they used to be, and most have some sort of moisturizer for hands in them these days. Hand lotions have also gotten better over the years. Most use dishwashers instead of handwashing three meals a day. So while it was a common complaint "back in the day" it's pretty well disappeared over the years.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Here in the swan river colony, Ladies used to wear gloves, to protect their hands from the sun and to protect them from "picking Up" germs on the tram ( prior to antibiotics)... I always put sunblock on my face but never think to put it on my hands!

Someone told me once you can tell how much elasticity you have in your skin by "Pinching" the skin on the back of your hand and seeing how quickly it "Retracts"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Dishpan hands is real -- but you have to keep your hands in soapy water for a long time to get it. The only time in my life I've ever had it is when I was working as a dishwasher in a delicatessen -- my hands were in a sink for five or six hours at a time, and my hands got so sore that I'd go home and sit on them to try and blot out the pain.

I don't ordinarily have sensitive hands -- I used to be able to strip paint without gloves -- so it took me by surprise when this happened. Bag Balm helped cure it, and from then on I wore gloves.

Casual exposure to even the harshest soap won't usually cause problems -- I do my weekly washing in a wringer machine using Fels Naptha and washing soda, and my hands are in the suds quite a bit, but it doesn't cause me any problems.

Admittedly, I do have "middle aged hands." But then, I'm also middle-aged.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
When I worked at Subway we washed all out dishes by hand, my hands ended up looking so nasty, and they dried out and hurt. That plus the weather, my hands were painful. Lotions would burn them they were so cracked and flakey....not a good time.:(

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I got dishpan hands when I used to work potwash at my catering job - nobody would bother to wash up so I would do it because I actually wanted to leave work when we'd closed. Now they have people specifically hired to do potwash throughout the day I don't have to do much of it any more and my hands have recovered.

They really were awful though, dry and sore, my knuckles were swollen and my skin would crack and bleed - I'm allergic to the vinyl gloves we use too so I couldn't even try to protect my hands. Nasty! They've gone back to normal though pretty much now, and I'm leaving my horrible job so I'm very happy :)

xx

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
When I was cleaning houses part time I found that my hands got really damaged from the chemicals and soaps. I've since developed a chemical sensitivity so I no longer use chemicals in my home, but I was my hands often as we have people in and out of our office all the time and I find if I apply lotion everytime I wash my hands they stay pretty soft. I also find that if I drink a lot of water my skin in general looks better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner