Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh no...WARNING: You will NOT be able to unSee this. Procede with caution

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I am rendered speechless in horror.
There does not exist a knitting needle so long that it'll reach the mind's eye.
Now I can't UNsee it.

The horror,
the horror.

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
Are there not better ways to keep ears warm and not bring shame to a fedora?

That's a great question. That is a major problem that needs to be dealt with somehow. I am not sure if any excellent solution exists.

I solve the problem by pulling my scarf over my ears, and that results in them never being cold. I also pull my scarf over my face at the same time, which prevents it from being cold.

The downside is that doing those things causes me to look like a bandit. When donning that appearance, I've also been called "the Invisible man" several times, by many different persons. But I'd rather look like a bandit and/or the Invisible man than to catch frostbite.

I have seen members here recommend earmuffs with no band attached. Those would also solve the cold-ears problem, albeit in my opinion, they look silly (even worse than looking like a bandit/Invisible man, I think). Moreover, they do nothing to solve the cold-face problem.

If a way exists not to look like a bandit/Invisible man, and not to look silly in a different way, and to keep my and ears and face (not ears only) warm whilst I am wearing a fedora, I'd love to hear it. Until one gets posted, I will persist with the bandit/Invisible Man appearance on each winter's day.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Wearing a fedora during a freezing snow storm is by my standards a very convincing way to look silly. Doing that would make wearing mitts and a fur coat in Death Valley - or a pair of Speedos in Antarctica - look sane. Wearing clothes that are appropriate to the state of elements, makes you seem smart (scarf, fur cap, tightly tied hood and earmuffs included) ... simple as that ;)

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I have certainly sported the "toothache" scarf-under-fedora look when the weather called for it. But for truly cold weather, I have a real fur on the pelt, Russian cossack-style hat with a quilted lining. It has ear flaps that cover my whole cheeks and tie under my jaw and a rear flap that comes down to cover the back of my neck. There's even a front flap, which I guess I could flip down in front of my face in a truly harsh blizzard, although my visibility would be reduced to near zero.

Andrew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran