Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, the Stigma of an Astigmatism. . .

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Count me in for the astigmatism. I wear contacts and just got new glasses as I had had my old frames for over 10 years. Because my doctor said that glasses can help fix an astigmitism (and because I've been waking up a bit too late to mess with my contacts), I've been wearing my glasses several times a week. I'll see if I can get a pic posted later.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
ITG said:
my doctor said that glasses can help fix an astigmitism

REALLY? Oh that is wonderful news. I'm stuck in my glasses because I ran out of my disposables and can't replace them at the moment.
I would rather my eyesight didn't worsen. My astigmatism is new, and the doctor said if it worsens I'd need to get Toric lenses, or some such. I don't think there is altogether much of a huge difference, but just the same I'd rather my eyes either stayed the way they are or improved (which is unlikely) rather than become worse.

I could really go for some laser eye surgery.

Help with 40s Style Specs?

Well, like many of the gals here, I have been wearing glasses and contacts for most of my life too.

Alas, my current pair of glasses has done more than their duty and it's time for new ones - does anyone know of some good photos of 1940's style specs that i can refer to for inspiration?

Thanks!

Tracy Lynn

New in Town
I wear a pair of red plastic frames that have a vintagy feel to them. I definitely can't use them for fencing though-my mask moves them around on my face and it gets really uncomfortable and kinda difficult to see. I usually wear contacts for sports and more formal occasions, but if I'm just going to class or doing homework my glasses are much less of a strain on my eyes. The contacts help to show off my very pretty blue eyes, but I have met a couple of people who do go for the glasses look. And though I hate to disagree with Dorothy Parker, I must admit, the boys have made passes regardless;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Still on my quest for vintage frames

Im looking at these...
e445.jpg

from www.vintageous.com

Thoughts?

LD

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Very nice...

:)
Lady Day said:
Im looking at these...
e445.jpg

from www.vintageous.com

Thoughts?

LD

I like these glasses. Very nice, indeed.

I've been wearing glasses since the seventh grade and had an astigmatism diagnosed years ago. My eye doctor last year told me that I had the perfect combination of astigmatism and nearsightedness to ensure I'd never need reading glasses.

So, I get to look cool with great glasses and shades and read to my heart's content without reading glasses!

Yes, Parker did write about women wearing glasses, but I think she was having a bit of fun.

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Frames

After a lot of messing about and trying some Laura Ashley (£175 ouch!) frames, I have bought some frames on ebay and am waiting for them to come now (and am of course excited):

21_1.jpg

Lady Blue

Familiar Face
I have terrible eyesight and don't feel comfortable wearing contacts anymore. I have always been encouraged to wear my glasses because glasses "make you look smarter". I love those glasses you posted Lady Day-simply gorgeous! I've always toyed with the idea of investing in some cat eye specs with rhinestones. But the cost of making them prescription has always held me back.

Thanks, Gal!

I really appreciate it :)

HH

BonnieJean said:
HH,
Here's a link to a website that sells vintage eyeglasses from several decades.
I haven't purchased any from here, but I used it as a resource when looking for vintage-styled eyewear. They have some good information about what was worn in each decade too.

http://www.eyeglasseswarehouse.com/index.html

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
I can't believe nobody's mentioned it so far, but I shall now reply with Ogden Nash's response to Dorothy Parker's poem "Men seldom make passes/At girls who wear glasses."

A girl who is bespectacled
She may not get her nectacled
But safety pins and bassinets
Await the girl who fassinets.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Alright Ladies.
These...
e445.jpg

Glassestwo.jpg

Or these.
e439.jpg

Glassesone.jpg

I was thinking of both, but I cant justify FOUR pairs of prescription glasses. I have enough sun glasses as it is!

Thanks,

LD

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
I was thinking of both, but I cant justify FOUR pairs of prescription glasses. I have enough sun glasses as it is!

I just got three pairs of prescription glasses, but that's because I now need trifocals. I first got a pair of progressive lenses (all three scripts in one set of lenses) and hated them so I decided on a pair for reading, a pair for my computer station and the most glamorous ones for out and about. I love wearing glasses and while my frames are new they are vintage inspired.

I'm not a shoes gal. Glasses, oh yeah.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
LD,
My vote is for the second pair. I like the little bit of "bling" in the corners. Kind of reminds me of Marilyn Monroe in that movie with Lauren Bacall (which I've completely forgotten the title) where they're trying to snag rich bachelors for husbands and Marilyn needs her glasses to see, but doesn't wear them around men, so she walks around half blind. I think she looked good with those glasses.

Elaina

One Too Many
I too vote for the second pair. The dual tone of the first doesn't do your skin tone justice and makes your eyes seem a little lost.

But what do I know? Since I started buying my own glasses, and didn't have to listen to my mother ("No, you can't have those. Get the wire frames, boys will like you better") I've bought black plastic nerd glasses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt