Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh the Stigma with wearing seamed fully fashioned stockings!

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
miserabelle said:
ps Where do you UK ladies buy your FFs from? I've bought some nylons from What Katie Did before, but I'm not sure if their FFs will fit me... I'm only 5"2 and pretty slim.

I'd seen some at http://www.touchable.co.uk/ but I don't know anyone else who orders from there.

xx

I'm not in the UK, but I'm petite and have had the best luck with vintage stockings. There is also a UK-based site called Stockings HQ (not sure if I'll get in trouble if I were to directly link to it!) that has a big selection of FF stockings. I haven't bought anything from them myself, but they seem to really know their stuff.

cecil

A-List Customer
Lusti Weather said:
I'm not in the UK, but I'm petite and have had the best luck with vintage stockings. There is also a UK-based site called Stockings HQ (not sure if I'll get in trouble if I were to directly link to it!) that has a big selection of FF stockings. I haven't bought anything from them myself, but they seem to really know their stuff.

Ooooh! They're having a sale!!

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
Thanks a lot :)
I got a bit confused with WKD because it says that they fit best to a size 12, and if you're smaller then take a smaller stocking size.

I think I've ordered from Stockings HQ before but never FFs, I'll take a look at what they have! The only FFs I've owned have been from Agent Provocateur but I just can't afford their prices all the time.

Thank you! x

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
You're welcome! I hope you can find something that works.

Agent Provocateur has great colors (I was so close to buying their pink FF stockings with black seams and heels last time I was there) but their prices put me off -- one of these days I'm sure I'll end up with a pair though!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Miserabelle, there's a seller on eBay called FFNYL who also have a store at nylonz.net, who have a lot of different colours. I have a few WKD pairs in normal colours, but if I wanted pink contrasts for example, or nude manhatten heels (which they don't seem to have in the mo, but they do do them), I get them from there.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
Thank you!

Agent Provocateur's FFs are lovely, I think mine cost me £25... but they might be £30, I'm not sure... I've not been into the store for a while. Good quality though, and the shopping experience is fantastic - at least it has been in the Birmingham store, the shop assistants are amazing. xx

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I ended up getting some from stockings HQ that were only £6, I couldn't believe it. I'm pretty happy with them too, the fit is lovely :)

I'm going to wear them on Saturday - I have an exhibition that I'm going to for my degree show :) should be a nice excuse to dress up! xx

Grant Fan

Practically Family
when i wear stocking, which isn't very often, I always wear FF ones. But I am 5foot 9 so I am pretty tall for most of them and they don't come up quite as high as I like most of the time. I did this once with my boyfriend, he is a Naval Officer, and I noticed people looking at my legs more than usual. So I finally asked him if my seems were straight. He said yes and then I asked what the deal was and he told me that men think it's sexy. Well I pouted because that was not my intention, and he explained that men think most vintage at least the form fitting 1940's stuff I lean towards is sexy, because it is very feminine. I calmed down at that point but needless to say the stockings don't come out much after that. It made me uncomfortable that his higher ups were checking out as they so rudely called them my stems.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I know this thread hasn't been posted on in a very long time, but hopefully, someone will be able to answer my burning question.

Ok, i bought some seamed stockings at the local...*ahem* Love Boutique. (they were the only place that had any!) And i love them! They fit great, look great and are exactly what i wanted. They were more expensive then other ones i've purchased, but i'll pay for something that i really want.

Anyways, they do stretch, i do have a 6-strap garter, but i find, that the FOOT slides around and wonks up the line, just above my ankle. Here's an odd question:

Do you think that i could spray hairspray on my legs, then put the stockings on to make them stick? Or would that ruin the elasticity of my stockings?

I'm going to give them a few more "test" runs with the garter, because it's new and I'm new to garter belts.

:eek:fftopic: So we all know about garter BELTS, but what exactly were garters used for? Like in the movie "Chicago" when you see her "blue garter with a rhinestone buckle" were they for holding up a stocking? Or just for "show"?

*Schatzi*

Familiar Face
I don't think I can answer your stocking question. Hairspray sounds fine to me but I am not sure why the foot is getting all twisted and wonky on you. Maybe they are too big?

Regarding your garter question. The stretchy lacey ones you see that brides and others wear for fashion. They were used pre garter belts to hold up stockings. They have been around since medieval times and were worn below the knee, men also wore them. At the time though they were tied obviously not elastic. Here's a pretty good link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garter_(stockings)

In the early 20th century (post 1920) the garter belt was developed as to combine the holding up of stockings aaaannndd a girdle so you wouldn't have to wear both a girdle and garters. Fancy that!

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Just have to comment....

When I first started working at my new job in Feb I wore (with a very tasteful outfit) my nude stockings with black seams and french heel. All of the ladies complimented me. Then my bosses took me aside and said to me (very sweetly) about how they are a conservative company etc. That was their way of saying no seams I guess.

People do have a stigma about them because they are associated with sexy in this day and age.

I wear them not at work and out. No one else seems to mind!

yummykiwi

New in Town
*martini*time*: I've not yet worn any seamed stockings. I ADORE the way they look - and I can't wait to try out a pair.
Do they come in different sizes?? Because it does sound like they might be too big if they are sliding around. Maybe you should try the hairspray with a cheaper pair of stockings before you ruin your nice new ones. I don't know if it would mess with their elasticity...
Hope someone has a good answer for you.

I think seamed stockings look fabulous. I also think that if you are dressed vintage or vintage inspired that you will, sadly, probably get stared at. Regardless of whether your stockings have seams or not. I don't mind it.
I just keep hoping that if more and more women dress nicely like they did back in the Golden Era that it will come back into fashion. . . *fingers crossed*

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I'm gonna try it. I don't think they're too big, but i mean, the package was pretty vague on the whole sizing thing. It says it fits from 5'1 - 5'10 so i figured that i fit in that bracket and bought them. I'm just gonna keep playing with them to figure out what works.

I am dressed vintage today (no stockings, it's too hot!) but hey, if people want to stare, let them stare! i just keep on going. I'm sure if someone said something derogatory towards me, they would get a good look at my stockings because i would promptly kick them in the face.

*edit* I plan on wearing my stockings to work, then to the airport to pick up my boyfriend. He loves them and when i finally get to see him, he'll be gone for 6 weeks. And if someone at work says something, i'll just tell them that it shouldn't matter because i'm chained to my desk all day anyways. :)

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
I wear FF stockings on a regular basis, and most of the comments I get are positive ones from ladies who remember them from their youth. :) They always want to know where I bought them!

Tikismall

New in Town
I am just going to be blunt about this...

No matter what we women do or wear a man will find a way to sexualize it.
I LOVE my seam stockings and I wouldn't stop wearing them for anyone no matter how ridiculous they want to match my clothing to their desires.

I will make this rather clear, some men have stocking fetishes. They like seeing a woman in stockings, plain and simple.
And we ladies who wear any stockings, pantyhose, knee highs, etc will get the stocking fetish because you, the lovely lady, are wearing them...

It kind of makes for some strange moments for some women but there isn't much we can do about what we love to wear versus what men sexualize about us wearing it or "it".

Just be safe and I don't care who is talking to you, if someone is making you uncomfortable you don't have to say anything to that person!

No is not negotiable! Our society seems to teach us that when we say "no", it is....:mad:

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
Tikismall you'r so right, i guess with time you just learn to ignore all the remarks (from people who don't necessarily have any fashion sense whatsoever :rolleyes: ) and just be yourself. i mean, who ever said that seamed stockings are more provocative than mini skirts or tight leather pants ?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I think most people would stop wearing them if their boss told/asked them too - some battles aren't worth fighting, especially at this time when many are scared of losing their jobs (as I just have!). I am a big advocate of 'do what you want and to hell with anyone else', but if your workplace objects, that's a different issue, I feel. But maybe that is just me!

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I have never ONCE thought that seamed stockings mean that lady is of questionable morals. I think they are sexy and make legs look nice.

Is Judy Garland a loose woman because in The Easter Parade she's wearing seamed stockings when dancing with Fred Astaire!? I thought she looked beautiful...made me want more seamed stocking then anything.

And i think all you ladies have it right, wear what you want, when you want and remember NO means NO! You have the RIGHT to say no if someone is making you uncomfortable. Don't ever bend on NO, i personally love the word. When said strongly enough, the men will get the hint. and if you get REALLY loud...they'll get embarrased and walk away.

Don't EVER let someone else determine WHO you are. Wear what you feel great in.

*edit* I tried my stockings again last night...turns out the reason that they kept getting all wonky was because my back garter belt strap was kinda loose.[huh] I tightened her up last night and it made all the difference! My seamed stockings look great...I'm sure i'll be getting more in the not to distant future. I've always been obsessed with them...i used to draw a line down the back of my pantyhose in high school...lol

Lenore

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
I think most people would stop wearing them if their boss told/asked them too - some battles aren't worth fighting, especially at this time when many are scared of losing their jobs (as I just have!). I am a big advocate of 'do what you want and to hell with anyone else', but if your workplace objects, that's a different issue, I feel. But maybe that is just me!

Agreed. Then you have the opposite side of the coin where the office is overly ecstatic about your wardrobe, seamed stockings included. I work for a corporate suite in which many of our tenants are older gentlemen. (I flirt shamelessly with 85 year old George. ;) ) Since getting my pre-baby body back, and I've been out of post pregnancy "eh, it fits" clothing, my bosses have noticed that our tenants seem happier, and many come into the office more "just to talk" with me, though admittedly some of them did that anyway. Happier tenants = happier bosses. Happier Bosses = Happier Lenore.

Another thought is that knowing I look good produces more confidence, but my wardrobe is a big part of that, and I think my bosses recognize that and encourage it.

That's awful about you losing your job, Fleur. Best wishes and good luck in your future endeavors.

Edited: Subject-adverb agreement. It's too early. Haven't had my coffee.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I wore mine to the cinema the other night, and we went to Tesco for some late night food shopping... the cashier said to me "oh you don't see many of those these days"... I think he regretted saying it though afterwards, didn't want to seem as though he was looking for ulterior reasons.

I didn't mind, it's not as though I don't expect to be asked about them. xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails