Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh the Stigma with wearing seamed fully fashioned stockings!

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I saw a gal downtown the other day wearing hold-up fishnets and very short shorts -- with the hold-ups held up by duct tape wound around her thighs. Now that's ingenuity.

Ingenious, maybe. But the removal process could be rather painful!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
dressing vintage, I actually get more respect than any kind of lewd looks. The seamed stockings don't have to come across as trashy. Put them with a nice dress, with some gloves and accessories, and you look like a lady. I'm more afraid for those who I see walking around with hardly anything on or their jeans so far down that you can see half their underwear!
hold up stockings: hate them! I tried wearing them one night and about two hours later, while I was walking they started falling down :eek:

crystalface

One of the Regulars
mysterygal said:
dressing vintage, I actually get more respect than any kind of lewd looks. The seamed stockings don't have to come across as trashy. Put them with a nice dress, with some gloves and accessories, and you look like a lady. I'm more afraid for those who I see walking around with hardly anything on or their jeans so far down that you can see half their underwear!
hold up stockings: hate them! I tried wearing them one night and about two hours later, while I was walking they started falling down :eek:

I was discussing with my coworker the fact that back in the day what is considered "dressed-up" now, was expected back then, and that one looks nice when one is "dressed-up." She noticed that when I was leaving people looked at me, and they noticed me (one because I was the only person dressed in 1940's style, but mostly because I looked good, rather than disheveled.)

God I sound conceited now. :eusa_doh: I don't mean to be. :eek:

Etienne

A-List Customer
Forgive me, Crystalface, if the answer to this question is obvious (like a film star or musician), but who's that in your avatar? (Hey, I'm over 55 so I'm not up on a lot of young stars!!)

lindylady

A-List Customer
crystalface said:
I was discussing with my coworker the fact that back in the day what is considered "dressed-up" now, was expected back then, and that one looks nice when one is "dressed-up." She noticed that when I was leaving people looked at me, and they noticed me (one because I was the only person dressed in 1940's style, but mostly because I looked good, rather than disheveled.)

God I sound conceited now. :eusa_doh: I don't mean to be. :eek:

*sigh* if only we could bring back the days of everyone being dressed up :)

I wore my fishnets and a pencil skirt last night to a swing dance (Don't ask how I managed to swing dance in a pencil skirt lol ). The fishnets made the outfit!

Rosie

One Too Many
lindylady said:
*sigh* if only we could bring back the days of everyone being dressed up :)

I wore my fishnets and a pencil skirt last night to a swing dance (Don't ask how I managed to swing dance in a pencil skirt lol ). The fishnets made the outfit!

I wore my fishnets and pencil skirt today, with back seam, just hanging around the city, shopping, lunch. I received so many compliments :eek: .

lindylady

A-List Customer
crystalface said:
Glad you were able to pull it off.
And how did you swing dance in a pencil skirt :eek:

Take very tight, small dance steps! I felt a little silly at first, but it actually looks ok. Very controlled, like you're attempting a smooth, Hollywood style dance.

lindylady

A-List Customer
Rosie said:
I wore my fishnets and pencil skirt today, with back seam, just hanging around the city, shopping, lunch. I received so many compliments :eek: .

Don't be embarrassed! That's great you received compliments. Tell me, how do you keep the back seams straight?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SPCMickyKilian said:
Ha, even over here in iraq, I once caught a glimpse of an iraqi woman wearing tattered FF stockings. Not all their women wear the traditional garb. It brought a tear to my eye and a tinge of homesickness in me wishing that i was back at the swing dances and re-enactments. Can't wait to get home to Buffalo, NY.

Golly, that must have been such a strange site!
I'm praying that you get home to those swing dances in Buffalo real soon:)
Tell the boys I say Hi!!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
crystalface said:

So true! While getting ready for work this morning, my boyfriend commented that one of the things that differentiates us (vintage lovers) from a lot of other people is that even when we're in a hurry and just throw something together (like i did this morning!), we always look more put together than your average Joe.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm glad my comment might have bought a bit of cheer to you boys:)

If you're looking into getting you petite wife stockings, there are quite a few places you can get actual vintage ones or reproductions. I used to only wear the vintage ones, but I recently discovered that the repros are much more comfortable. Vintage stockings don't have the lycra that the repros do, which means that the fit can be tough. The lycra also keeps them in place, and the seams straight.
Check out, if you can Magnolia Hoisery I like there's the best. I'm only 5 feet also, not 100 pounds, but still petite, and I really like the fit of there Fully fashioned stockings. I'd suggest getting her the smallest size they make.
Another option is StockingStore. This is a modern store, they don't sell vintage and I'm not even sure if they call them fully fashioned on their website, so when you visit this site I think you have to look under "seams". I've gotten stockings from them and they have great prices. I think one brand that I liked was called "Cete". They look really funny when you take them out of the package, but they have a good amount of stretch to them. Also they are one size fits all so they might be a better fit for your wife.
Sorry that I can't post the direct links to these sites, but I'm not sure if the content is approved and don't want to take any chances. But, to save you some search time, just put a www. in front of the store name and a .com at the end:D

EDIT: I just checked stocking store and they do have a fully fashioned section, but they also have a seamed section. Look in both if you can. I wouldn't worry too much about being exactly accurate, what matters is what you like:D
I hope you find some of this helpful:)
Take care and be safe
Here's to you and the rest of your buddies
:cheers1: :beer:

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
SPCMickyKilian said:
on all these stockings. I am looking at getting my wife michelle into the wonderful hobby of WW2 re-enacting. She is somewhat small at 5 foot nothing and petite, my 102 pound-wonder. I know a little bit about stockings and here and there, but, because you girls know your business, "What would be your average type of stocking from the 1940s?" I mean, there are so many examples out there, but im just looking for what an average woman during that era would have worn day to day. Also, any places that i could still pick some up for her that would make reproductions. Any info would be much appreciated.

Micky, welcome to the board! For starters, check out the FF size chart at http://www.stockingshowcase.com/sizing.asp if you need to know what size to get. I've found this chart to work rather well for me, but you do also have some flexibility. I wear a 6 1/2 shoe and am 5'3" - I can usually wear anywhere from an 8 1/2 stocking to a 9 1/2, so you do have a little room for error! Michelle will want a short length if you can find one, though a too-long stocking can also be accommodated with a shorter girdle.

There are a lot of places you can buy new repro FF stockings. Here are a couple of threads that might help you out:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=14909
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13716

I believe most of the women then would have worn a basic, nude cuban heel stocking, though there are many fancy, decorative heeled stockings out there, though they are definitely harder to come by and more expensive. A sheerer stocking would have been worn at night, while a more modest, heavier weight stocking would have been worn during the day. When selecting the sheer-ness/weight of a stocking, there are two measurements to look at, denier and gauge. You can find a great overview of these and what they mean (if you're not already familiar with them) at http://www.stockingshowcase.com/faq.asp.

Cheers!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Micky,
I think Kitty gave you some very good info and another place to try is the Bay (unless they've blocked that site for you too). I wear only seamed stockings nowadays when I go out--even to the grocery store. I've had an experience with a "leerer", but I mostly get stares and I think its from my whole outfit because most people dress extremely casual in public and a woman dressed even remotely feminine does get attention. I find that when I'm wearing a dress/skirt that it makes me feel different, more feminine and I've noticed that I behave much more ladylike, even when I walk. People are more polite to me also. So I wouldn't be afraid to wear my stockings even in your hometown of Buffalo, but then I'm a lot older and I really don't care what others think. My hubby LOVES when I wear them and I personally think most men would prefer women to dress more feminine (including seamed stockings) than the trashy stuff that some women wear today and call it fashion. FL members are from all over the world and who knows, maybe we'll start a new fashion trend! I say, ladies, wear your seams and wear them proudly! (Coming from someone who used to be quite bashful about wearing them.)

Micky, thank you to you and your family for your sacrifice and service to our country. You're in our prayers.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
SPCMickyKilian said:
I can't really get onto many clothing websites, specifically that Magnolias site due to what the Army deems "inappropriate content..." However, i went to that site "Alexis4u" and was able to get on with no trouble...

Alexis's prices are higher, but I have done business with them and will tell you that the guy who runs the site is very friendly.

You may want to try an internet anonymizer that lets you browse sites *through* another website. Try http://www.the-cloak.com/anonymous-surfing-home.html

the army's system...) As far as i know, michelle wears a size 6 shoe and she is as i said, rather small, so, i think im going to make a few purchases, based off the links that i can get into and the information sent my way from you two while im here and get them sent to her before i get home so that she know's what works and what doesn't.

If she is a size 6 shoe, an 8 1/2 stocking would probably work, no larger than a 9. You'd definitely want a short length due to her petite height.

What kinda reactions do u get from guys when they see the seams? I dont know very many places in buffalo that i'd take my wife with them on, but to me, they are hot as all hell and symbolize the feminine forties. It's a shame that too many women now adays hate them but its glad to see there are still some ladies keeping it alive.

Oddly, I don't get much of a reaction. Here in Boston, I don't think it's unusual to see a gal wearing seamed stockings (I usually wear them out to shows, and at least it's not unusual there). I do occasionally catch people looking, though usually it's only the girls who comment, and at a rockabilly or roots music show, it's always a positive reaction. I do wear regular stockings to work, but only wear FF to "extracurricular" events. I don't feel comfortable wearing them to work and feel that they are not quite appropriate for a work environment, given some of the perceptions people have of seamed stockings.

As far as repro dresses, do any of you ladies shop at Daddy O's?

I've never shopped there. I know there are ladies on the lounge who have things to say about them. Most of what they sell is Stop Staring clothing, and the fabric is pretty cheap and the stretch they have isn't always flattering. I know there are a bunch of threads here about repro clothing, but you might want to start with the Vintage Inspired Shopping sticky thread here in the Powder Room. At least a few girls here will recommend Revamp Vintage (https://www.revampvintage.com/). As for Daddy O's, generally for that price you can find a nice, real vintage item!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
SPCMickyKilian said:
Unfortunately, thats the way of the world in 2007 as opposed to 1945. How do you like the feel of the old fashioned nylons as compared to the stretch-iness of regular pantyhose?

It can't be beat!!! They are finer, silkier and softer, and the constant, ever-so-light movement against your legs when you move makes you feel very sexy (at least that's my take on it)!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
How do you like the feel of the old fashioned nylons as compared to the stretch-iness of regular pantyhose?

Micky, stockings/nylons are by far the best thing I wear on my gams. I find that modern pantyhose actually feels "scratchy" to me now that I wear nylons exclusively. My hubby is almost a stocking connoisseur in that he can almost tell the denier of the stocking fabric just by feel. (I hope I'm not revealing too much about him.;) ) He's the one who actually introduced me to stockings years ago when they were mostly for the "bedroom". If you/your wife are a little self-conscious about wearing the seamed ones everywhere, might I suggest these non-seamed ones? They are inexpensive (2/$5.95) and hubby says they're "silky enough". http://www.shopnational.com/product.cfm/wc/405000/sgid/400__

Its so sad when people associate seamed stockings with girls who have "extra curricular activities". Somebody has to be the initial trend-setter and if my "sacrifice" paves the way for younger gals to wear them, so be it. Here in the Midwest, my attire oftentimes sticks out from the general population and I've become so used to the attention that I really don't notice it. But I have had several older women come up to me and ask where I got my nylons and they just oohed and aahed over them.

As a matter of fact, I was at an antique shop over the weekend (another source for stockings, BTW) and wearing my seamed stockings. I struck up a conversation with the lady owner and she proceeded to bring out of a dark corner boxes and boxes of vintage seamed stockings. I ended up buying all of them (17 pairs!) and when hubby looked them over later, we realized that half of them are silk ones! I got them for a very good price. So it does pay to dress well and wear seamed stockings! I want to start wearing hats, but its a slow process to overcome my "fear" of attracting too much attention.

And I have to admit, I do like the male attention I get when I'm wearing my nylons because it does boost a bit my feminine ego, even at my age.;)

*edited: Sorry, Micky, I didn't mean to get you "in trouble" here.

GILDA

Lined stocking are so sexy, but.......its very difficult to get that seam super straight. You loose the look when you are walking around with a crooked seam on the back of your legs. Ive spent so much time trying to get that straight seam that i gave up. My husband loves garter belts which is good because I absolutely despise full pantyhose. I think they are the most uncomfortable thing ever. So I always wear the thigh highs and garter. Those are tricky too. But I love them, they are the epitome of 40s'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic