Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ohio: The Heart [and Hat] of it all!

Late, late, late to the party on this one. I received this Homburg back in the fall from St. Ignatz, who kindly recognized that I desired to possess a product of a now-defunct Dayton hatter, Engelbert.

I'm always flabbergasted by the kindness and generosity of my fellow Loungers. St. Ignatz just flat-out gave me this hat, no questions asked. :eek: I can only hope to return the favor to him or pay it forward to another Lounger some time.

It's a very nice, well-proportioned Gray Homburg. Unfortunately a bit of mothing, and I resolve to at least attempt to address that issue when I get the chance. The felt, while of course a bit stiff, has a very nice feel to it. It fits well, and while I haven't added it to my regular rotation, I guess I should.

Picture6.jpg
Picture5.jpg
Picture4.jpg
Picture3.jpg

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Another hat from the Hatterie Akron Ohio.Love this hat.I've been wearing fedoras for 5 years now.This is the 1st Whippet that I've put my hands on.But dang not my size,it's a 7 1/8.

Recently acquired from Lounger mmbarnes, this Black Knox Superfine with a contrasting, wine-colored ribbon. Very nice felt - perfect shape; soft, pliable and easy to mold. Originally sold by Charters-Patterson of Springfield, OH. Quick online research shows C-P starting up business in 1939 and going out of business sometime in the 60s or early 70s.

Picture3.png
Picture5.jpg
Picture6.jpg
Picture7.jpg
Picture8.jpg
Picture9.jpg
Picture4.jpg
Charters Patterson Store.jpg

Crossposted to The School of Hard Knox

While the Englebert St. Ignatz graciously provided me with is, technically, my first "Dayton" hat, last week I picked up my first major brand hat which has a Dayton connection.
Picture17.jpg
Picture20.jpg
Picture35.jpg
Picture37.jpg

A Google search turns up what I believe to be Mr. Uhrig's obit from 2015 in the Denver Post.

Walter Uhrig
January 24, 1919 - February 27, 2015
96, of Ohio is survived by his wife Viola, son Horace Kerr, grandchildren Natasha & Stanley Kerr & nephews Dave & Steve Uhrig.

His age tracks as, estimates of the age of this hat being 1950s,he would have been in his 30s at the time this hat was manufactured and sold. This is, presumably, the man who imported my "new" hat. And played the clarinet.
Walter Uhrig.jpg

There is a reference to a men's furnishings shop owned by Walter Uhrig and M. Pereles in Dayton OH from Fairchild's List of Retail Stores/ 1928. Perhaps the obituary you found is from a younger descendent...

Mm25

One Too Many
Recently acquired from Lounger mmbarnes, this Black Knox Superfine with a contrasting, wine-colored ribbon. Very nice felt - perfect shape; soft, pliable and easy to mold. Originally sold by Charters-Patterson of Springfield, OH. Quick online research shows C-P starting up business in 1939 and going out of business sometime in the 60s or early 70s.

View attachment 46311 View attachment 46312 View attachment 46313 View attachment 46314 View attachment 46315 View attachment 46316 View attachment 46317 View attachment 46319

Crossposted to The School of Hard Knox
That's one of my all time favorites. Sweet hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy