Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ohio: The Heart [and Hat] of it all!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's not just my local antique stores that sell vintage hats with an Ohio connection on the sweat. Many of the hats that I've seen on ebay and on the Lounge were sold by Ohio stores.

So let's see 'em.
Show us your Ohio hats!

Stetson Casual
DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

Lee Trinity
lee1.jpg

lee2.jpg

Chamois (sold to a fellow Lounger)
db.jpg

db1.jpg

Borsalino
borsalinovintage1.jpg

borsalinovintage3.jpg

Borsalino Savoy
DSC_00172.jpg

DSC_0025-1.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
More that aren't mine:

Halle Brothers
DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

Tony in Tarzana' Stratoliner
tonysStetsonStratoliner05.jpg

the dog-bitten-clear-black-nutria
DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
My Ohio Lids...

Stetson Whippet:

CadetWhippet.jpg

Ohio1.jpg

Borsalino Alessandria:

Left3.jpg

ToledoSweat.jpg

Dobbs Gay Blade:

DobbsGayBlade.jpg

aStraussCo.jpg
[Youngstown, Ohio]

Cheers,
JtL

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Great idea for a thread!

Like you, Lefty, I've noticed a lot of Ohio-sold hats on the Bay. I know that I probably have some myself (not counting the Batsakes hats). I'll have to come back to this thread with photographs later.

One of my great frustrations is that despite there being so many hats that were originally sold here in Ohio I never seem to be able to find ANY hats worth bothering with in antique/thrift shops or flea markets! :rage:

Cheers,
Tom

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Very nice JtL. Thanks. :eusa_clap

TY, I can't wait to see your Ohio hats. Even if they're only 10% of your collection, that'll be what, 90-some hats? ;)

Here's one that Dinerman just posted in the ebay thread.
Dinerman said:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Wow, I guess that B.R. Baker Co. was pretty big in Ohio. My Borsalino Savoy came from the Cleveland store, while JtL's Alessandria came from this Toledo store

thunderw21 said:

Thanks for Thunderw21 for posting this photo.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
My Royal Stetson Back bow is from a store called Koch's in Akron Ohio. The sweat fell apart and I never got picture though!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Vic, very nice. I've noticed far more hats from northern Ohio (Youngstown, Sandusky, Cleveland, Akron, Toldeo) than from the central (Columbus) or southern (Dayton, Cincinnati) regions.

Dhermann, I had long forgotten about your find and that great story. Thanks for reminding me. :eusa_clap

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
If you live in KY or OH, you know the standard joke that each uses about the other:

Why did they build a bridge over the [Ohio] river?
So the hillbillies could swim over in the shade.

Cincinnati is known as the Queen City and it's pretty grand. I'm certain that it would have been packed with fine hatters, at least as many as Cleveland, in the early 1900s. I'm just don't see Cinci (or "the natti" if you're local) hats very often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner