Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ohio: The Heart [and Hat] of it all!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Make with 'em, fellas. :)

BellyTank said:
However, The BR Baker Co., Cleveland, sold a lot of Borsalinos. I have one with their mark on the sweatband but it's more modern version of their logotype.

Another 'Lounger, "FeltFan", has mentioned that he has one or two "BR Baker Co." Borsalinos.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
OK, I'll just "borrow" some of your posts. ;)
Thanks for all this great info, BT.
BellyTank said:
Anyone like this one???

c6_1_b.jpg

6d_1_b.jpg

B
T

BellyTank said:
B_Label.jpg

Angora_1.jpg

BRBaker.jpg

Price_20.jpg

Not sure of the age, Blue label- '40s..?

It looks more '40s styled than '30s to me but it could be tweaked a little...

B
T

BellyTank said:
The B.R. Baker Co. was a big Downtown Toledo Menswear store and apparently sold a lot of Borsalinos. I don't know when exactly the store closed down but I read that it was in business for a long time.

*"Bernie... ran the men?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s store until 1961, when it became a division of Botany Industries Inc"

OK- here's a little about Bernard R. Baker II:

"Bernard R. Baker II ?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢36 on June 16, 2004, of a stroke. He was eighty-eight and a resident of West Palm Beach, Florida.

At Kenyon, Bernie was a member of Psi Upsilon fraternity. He earned his law degree at Harvard University in 1941. He was a Navy officer during World War II, rising to the rank of lieutenant commander.

Bernie was president and later chairman of the B.R. Baker Co. menswear store, which was a downtown Toledo, Ohio, landmark for eight decades, and headed many other Toledo-area organizations over the years. He ran the men?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s store until 1961, when it became a division of Botany Industries Inc. He then became chairman of the local chain, which included four branches at area shopping centers.

For many years, Bernie wore two hats?¢‚Ǩ‚Äùas retail executive and law-firm partner. Until the 1990s, he was a partner in the firm that went by a number of names over the years, including Brown, Baker, Schlageter, and Craig.

Bernie was secretary of the Toledo Blade corporation from 1962 until 1990, and for a time was also a director and corporate counsel.

Known for his civic work, Bernie served on the boards of numerous organizations. He was a longtime trustee of the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center in Fremont, Ohio.

Bernie is survived by his wife of sixty-one years, Elinor Shutts Baker; a daughter, Lynn A. Baker; a son, Bernard R. "Robin" Baker III; two grandchildren; a niece, Eleanor M. Hight; and a nephew, Frank Hight. Memorial contributions may be made to the Medical College of Ohio, 3000 Arlington Avenue, Toledo, Ohio 43514; Boys and Girls Club of Toledo, Administrative Office, 2250 North Detroit Avenue, Toledo, Ohio 43606; or Boys and Girls Club of Palm Beach County, Suite 204, 800 Northpoint Parkway, West Palm Beach, Florida 33407-1946."

"In Toledo, he practiced law and was active in business, service and charitable organizations. Mr. Baker's grandfather, Bernard R. Baker, founded the B.R. Baker Co. in Toledo in the 1890s, and Mr. Baker served as president of the company from 1946 until it was sold in 1961 to Botany Industries. He was a director and counsel to Blade Communications Inc., publishers of The Blade newspaper in Toledo, until his retirement."

B
T

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Here's a postcard from the Cleveland store.
brbakercleveland.jpg

"B.R. Baker. Euclid at Ninth, Parmatown, Southgate. B.R. Baker, Ohio's leading men's store for over 50 years. 1001 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland 15, Ohio."--card verso.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Here are a few...

Here's a Cavanagh from The Metropolitan @ Dayton. (No, that's not an e-mail address! :p ) It's actually a bit greener then it looks.

CavanaghTheMetropolitanDayton1.jpg

CavanaghTheMetropolitanDayton2.jpg

CavanaghTheMetropolitanDayton.jpg

A Batsakes Bros from Cincinattie--the original location:

CincinattiBatsakesBros.jpg

CincinattiBatsakesBros2.jpg

CincinattiBatsakesBros1.jpg

A Lee Black Label from Lazarus in Columbus:

LeeLazarusColumbusOH.jpg

LeeLazarusColumbusOH2.jpg

LeeLazarusColumbusOH1.jpg

Regards,
Tom

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Nice TY. That sharp Tuxedo model is new to me.

I'm surprised I haven't seen more hats from Lazarus. As far as I know, that was the store in Columbus.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I had one,...

....well, several actually as I do live in Ohio. But the only pic I have left from recycling them all through ebay is this Hill and Hart. An obscure name for sure as I've only seen 2 now. Must have been a small operation that didn't last long? [huh] Anyway, they did make a fine product, and I don't imagine there are many examples extant. I like the 2 color ribbon in particular, a nice unique touch.
HillandHarthat001.jpg
[/IMG]

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Maj.Nick Danger said:
But the only pic I have left from recycling them all through ebay is this Hill and Hart.
HillandHarthat001.jpg
[/IMG]

Hill and Hart, a name I had never heard, recently came up again in JtL's recent purchase.

edit: I guess I had seen it before - on page 1, Tony's Strat.

StetsonNo13.jpg

StetsonNo12.jpg

StetsonNo11.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
"The Squire's Shop" in Youngstown, OH

from "The Squire's Shop" in Youngstown - 1942 (or older) Disney 'Telescope'. Will try to find a pic of the Youngstown stamp.

ScottF said:
$5 sticker, and also the newspaper that was used to stuff the sweatband: 1942....Disney cartoon

DisneySideUnb.jpg

DisneySide.jpg

DisneyDtls.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari