Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ohio: The Heart [and Hat] of it all!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the reminder, Lefty. This gold flake is going away fast. :eek:

hpim2104v.jpg

The rest of the story.

filfoster

One Too Many
OH-KY

gtdean48 said:
I agree, always had a good time in "natti" (got to remember that). Had to bust on KY, since my buddy lives in Flemingsburg & graduated from Tranny.
I am a transplanted Buckeye, living just accross the river in Fort Thomas KY.
I enjoy the rivalry and am amused by the misconceptions each has of the other. It's mostly in good fun.
Gus Miller at Batsakes is a gem. I have several hats he made for me, including a top hat! I confess I now buy mostly Akubras (Feds III and IV) but it's great to know Gus is still there.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I have an Ohio connection with one of my hats. I'll post the whole story--yes, a whole story--after I find the charger for my camera.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
This was my very first vintage hat, when I was a newbie here back in December. It's a Borsalino Savona from a store in Ohio, in mint condition. I never attached an age to it, because I didn't know much when I first got it. But recently, I figured it was worth a shot to flip down the sweatband to find the paper tag with the numbers, that's used to determine age. I ended up finding a whole lot more than I bargained for. I found a name. And it wasn't just any name; it was a name with the title Lieutenant Colonel in front of it. Lt. Col. Dewey E. Albright of the United States Air Force, to be exact. I rushed to search the history of Lt. Col. Albright, and I was surprised to find record of him in multiple sources. He received the Distinguished Flying Cross for "extraordinary achievement against the enemy" while he served in 387th Bombardment Group during WW2. He was born, and died in Ohio. I'm still conducting research, and attempting to authenticate this find. If I find anything else out, I'll let you all know. If anyone else knows anything at all, please share it. I'm sure we'll all appreciate it.

Cheers,

Corky

Practically Family
Fromn the 387th Bombardment Group link above:"After VJ day the sleek Marauders ..."

"After VJ day the sleek Marauders on which the crews had lavished so much attention were flown to a base in Germany and unceremoniously blown up..."

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Superior Hat Shop

5148833545_1da1f6a001_b.jpg

5148835601_5cf5d68b13_b.jpg

5149487642_b98822a6fd_z.jpg

from Youngstown. Cavanagh type edge and MacLachlan style sweatband. No body manufacture info.

Last edited:

azshawn

Familiar Face
Both my Mom and Dad grew up in Xenia Ohio. My maternal grandfather was a machinist at NCR in Dayton. Since my grandpa had a pretty dirty job this was his weekend hat, a Champ Silk Finish fedora, that he bought at Cox's Mens Store in Fairborn:

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0086-1.jpg

DSC_0087-1.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0095-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari