Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil Cleansing Method

Jenautica

Familiar Face
Hmmmm you know that's a great question!!!

My skin has been so calm since doing this that I haven't worn any foundation since I've started. The jojoba is super light and soaks right in without any residue, but I've no idea what foundation would do on top of that.

Tonight I'll put some on and see what happens.

Jenautica

Familiar Face
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I just bought grapeseed, jojobo, avocado, rice bran, and castor oil. Now someone tell me how the heck to mix it all!

I'd try to start off simple. The castor oil is supposed to be what really yanks things out of your pores, but it can be extremely drying. That should make up 50% or less of your mix.

Is your skin oily/combo or dry?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jenautica said:
I'd try to start off simple. The castor oil is supposed to be what really yanks things out of your pores, but it can be extremely drying. That should make up 50% or less of your mix.

Is your skin oily/combo or dry?

Oily/combo.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Where are you ladies getting castor oil FROM?!

I must be dumb as a box of hammers, because while I've got EVOO and some assorted vegetable oils and I think I can get grapeseed oil from Trader Joe's, I don't think I've ever even seen castor oil.

And really, with the skin I have, drying it out is the most appealing part of this idea. :rolleyes:

-Viola

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viola said:

I must be dumb as a box of hammers, because while I've got EVOO and some assorted vegetable oils and I think I can get grapeseed oil from Trader Joe's, I don't think I've ever even seen castor oil.

And really, with the skin I have, drying it out is the most appealing part of this idea. :rolleyes:

-Viola

The skin care section of Whole Foods!

Jenautica

Familiar Face
Gosh, the combinations are endless.

You could do 50/50 mixes of any of the oils and castor oil. That would be a good way to see how your skin reacts to each individual oil. (Personally, I'd be pretty sparing with the avocado oil as it will be very emollient and might be a little heavy for the summer months.)

You could also to a mix of all the oils. Rice bran, grapeseed and jojoba oils are all pretty light so I would mix equal parts:

25% Grapeseed
25% Rice Bran
25% Jojoba
25% Castor Oil

That would be a good place to start and if you get dried out, you can add the avocado in there for that extra bit of moisture.

I'd recommend making tiny batches in the beginning just in case your skin gets crabby with any of the components of the mix. Using a tablespoon to measure out my oils worked great. I came out with just enough mix to test drive on my skin for a few days.

For other mixes, check out that long hair forum link posted earlier. There's 50something pages of info from people that have been doing OCM for years.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
The skin care section of Whole Foods!

Hmm. I know there's one somewhere nearby. Probably.

Thanks! I've been using rubbing alcohol, and that's kinda harsh.

-Viola

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Viola said:

-Viola

I get castor oil at health food stores, but in the body care sections. I don't recommend cooking with it. ;)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Well, so far I'm happy with the results I've gotten from OCM. I've been using it for about a week now, using a mix of 25% each of EVOO, Castor, Grapeseed and Jojoba. I do still start to get a little oily near the end of the day in my T-zone, but the texture of my skin seems to have improved (admittedly, it wasn't bad at all before, and I didn't really break out). I have not noticed a change in the size of my pores, but they were not a problem prior to OCM either. The area where I was prone to get the occasional pimple seems to be much happier. Of course, I think that the steaming and wiping with the washcloth in and of itself would still do something to iprove skin's texture - essentially it's exfoliating every day.

I am also using a small amount of Jojoba around my eyes and on my cheeks, which tend to be dry. I'm also still moisturizing in the AM with my normal sunscreen.

Josephine

One Too Many
I use a mix of 15 parts jojoba, 15 parts sweet almond oil, 1 part Helichrysum italicum EO , 1 part Clary Sage EO, 1 part Vit E oil, and 1 pt Rose Hip Oil. I unfortunately don't remember to do it every evening, but when I do I feel and look so much better. I also dab a mix of 15 parts Rose Hip Oil, 15 parts Sweet Almond Oil, 1 part Helichrysum italicum EO, 1 part Clary Sage EO, and 1 part Vit E Oil on my crow's feet. For the dark circles under my eyes I use 1-3 part Helichrysum italicum EO and 15 parts Sweet Almond Oil. I think I look pretty good for 39. :D lol

If you're on the fence about OCM, jump it! It's great.

dashiell

One of the Regulars
I had never heard of this Oil Cleansing Thingamabob before reading this thread! At first, I thought I'd be reading about the "locker rooms" of the ancient Olympics. How interesting, particularly the various oil combinations you've all discovered! I'm a Dial Antibacterial sort of girl, but the balances of oils for different results is definitely not something I'd ever thought about. Very clever of you!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Josephine said:
I use a mix of 15 parts jojoba, 15 parts sweet almond oil, 1 part Helichrysum italicum EO , 1 part Clary Sage EO, 1 part Vit E oil, and 1 pt Rose Hip Oil.

I just realised Helichrysum italicum is Curry Plant! I grow it in my garden, and can't help but wonder, does the EO not smell strongly like curry?

Josephine

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
I just realised Helichrysum italicum is Curry Plant! I grow it in my garden, and can't help but wonder, does the EO not smell strongly like curry?

Hmm, I don't think so, I love curry and have never thought of it when I wash my face. Interesting! :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
dashiell said:
I'm a Dial Antibacterial sort of girl, but the balances of oils for different results is definitely not something I'd ever thought about. Very clever of you!

Wait, you use Dial Antibacterial... on your face?

L'Eyela

New in Town
I've tried the oil thing once with disasterous results, but I probably did it wrong. My mom swears by infrequent doses of plain old baby oil. She says she works out blackheads, and those teensy little plugs in your nose. I just don't like the feeling, a simple bar of Cetaphil works for me . . . :)

dashiell

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Wait, you use Dial Antibacterial... on your face?

lol

Yes, Miss KittyT, I use Dial Antibacterial on my face. That's just what I have at the moment, and what I tend to buy, but I've always used bar soap of some sort on my face. I didn't realize this was frowned upon until university, and by then I was set in my ways.

[huh]

My mother always said that beauty treatments and beauty products are best left to beautiful people, anyway! The ingenuity is admirable ... all these different formulae ... very clever!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran