Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil Cleansing Method

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
Yeah, it's definitely not too bad! It's mostly on my forehead, which can be easily covered. I don't think anyone's going to be looking at me THAT closely anyway!

I think I'm going to invest in some jojoba and lavender oil today. I love lavender as a scent (it's my favorite) and I heard it has good antiseptic qualities and helps with blackheads. Anyone else use lavender?

Does anyone have experience with Vitamin E oil and fading scars? What else does it do for the skin? My ex likes to play dermatologist with me, leading to some flat, discolored scars from where he was too abusive! Time always fades them for me, but I'd love to speed up the process.

I have tried Vitiman E... and My skin didnt like it too much... it was odd.. I dont know cause it was too thick.. or my face just does not agree..? (I only applied a tiny amount too)

I read up on Jajoba oil.. and it helps with scars.. It has a tremendous healing property and it truly has with my acne scars..
I no longer wear foundation anymore.. cause the OCM has evened and balanced my skin out! Total 180!

This is what I found in an article about Jajoba Oil :) Hope this helps :)

- Jojoba oil has many uses in a wide variety of industries. As a cosmetic, it is an effective cleanser, conditioner, moisturizer, and softener for the skin and hair. It is applied directly to the skin to soften the skin, to reduce wrinkles and stretch marks, to lighten and help heal scars, and to promote healthy scalp and hair. Jojoba oil is similar to, and miscible with, sebum, which is secreted by human sebaceous glands to lubricate and protect skin and hair. When sebum production decreases due to age, pollutants, or environmental stresses, jojoba oil can be used to replicate sebum oil. Jojoba oil can accumulate around hair roots, thereby conditioning hair and preventing it from becoming brittle and dull. If there is too much sebum buildup on the scalp, it dissolves and removes the sebum, leaving the hair clean. Jojoba oil as a solubilizing agent can also remove sticky buildup on hair from hair preparations as well as airborne particulates deposited on the hair. It forms a lipid layer on the skin, acting as a moisturizer, as well as penetrating and being absorbed by the outer layer of skin. It is widely used as an ingredient in shampoos, conditioners, facial, hand and body lotions, cuticle and nail care products, baby care lotions, creams, and oils, cleansers, moisturizers, bath oils and soaps, sunscreen lotions, and makeup products. Jojoba oil is also used as a base in the manufacture of perfume.

Tatum

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
Yeah, it's definitely not too bad! It's mostly on my forehead, which can be easily covered. I don't think anyone's going to be looking at me THAT closely anyway!

I think I'm going to invest in some jojoba and lavender oil today. I love lavender as a scent (it's my favorite) and I heard it has good antiseptic qualities and helps with blackheads. Anyone else use lavender?

Does anyone have experience with Vitamin E oil and fading scars? What else does it do for the skin? My ex likes to play dermatologist with me, leading to some flat, discolored scars from where he was too abusive! Time always fades them for me, but I'd love to speed up the process.

I have found that Vitamin E works like a dream for scars (not acne scars though). I buy the caplets and break them open.

How are the "red-heads"? Mine, which are blackheads in the same area, are almost completely gone now. I've also noticed my smile lines fading out, the one on my left side is almost completely gone. And that was the deeper one, because I have a tendency to smirk with just that one side!

katiekat

New in Town
I've been using the Apple-Almond cleansing oil from my local L'Occitane recently, and it's nice. It's a bit on the the "not as clean as I'd like" side. But the toner, and the facial moisturizer in the same series are amazing. The thing I picked up there that I really like is the Lavender antiseptic. I break out if I even look at the clouds differently, so I am forever trying to find something to zap blemishes but not dry out my face. Sadly, the antiseptic really only does it's job on blemishes that have come to a head. It doesn't prevent. :( But, the antiseptic properties of it are really nice. They have shortened the time that blemishes appear drastically. (Must be all the denatured alcohol in it....)

Mary

Practically Family
KittyT said:
Mary, I have combination skin and have had no problems using my castor/EVOO/grapeseed/jojoba oil mix on both parts of my face. Just take a couple of drops of jojoba oil to use as moisturizer when you're done.

Thanks KittyT. Sounds neat! I'd like to try to use only oils and not facial creams so I'll try som jojobaoil.

Anwen

New in Town
Well, after reading most of the way through this thread, I have given my poor, neglected face a good clean! I've been having lots of sore/red/dry patches including some very attractive flaky areas, but I just haven't felt up to doing anything about it till now (having some major MH problems as well as still being in fibro flare) Last week I'd bought the Babyface solid cleansing bar from Lush as well as one of their funny new steam tablet thingies which are like mini ballistics for facial-steaming-water, I got the nice kind one for scared skin... I actually got the babyface for using under face masks, as I find they can be a bit too abrasive when I remove them, but I figured I'd give it a go.

I used my electric steamer thingy (too clumsy to be safe with bowls of boiling hot water!) and the tablet thing and steamed my face gently for a bit (apparently I have a giant face as it doesn't fit properly in the steamer thing) then applied the babyface. Unfortunately I think it has picked up some of the 'crumbs' of the tablet thing which made it a bit abrasive, but I expect a bit of exfoliation will do me good... I put on a layer of 'crash course in skincare' one of their masks, also meant to be for sensitive skin (it mostly felt nice but a bit tingly in places, hadn't realised quite how bad my poor face was getting) then left that on for a bit. Washed most of it off with tap water then used cotton wool and hot tap water/rosewater (50/50) to remove the rest, and the babyface underneath. Reapplied the babyface, steamed my skin for another minute or so then removed it with the (now lukewarm) water/rosewater on cotton wool. My skin thanks you all!

Couple of questions: Does anyone in the UK know where I should look for vitamin E/jojoba oil? I have some vit E capsules which seem to contain other stuff besides the vit E as a carrier, plus they aren't that cheap - has anyone tried the Superdrug vit E facial oil?

Also, does anyone have any advice/favourite products/methods for dealing with facial hair? I have the <heavy sarcasm>great fortune</heavy sarcasm> of having PCOS which results in lots and lots of prickly dark hairs on my chin and underneath it (imagine the area which would be lurking behind a goatee on someone who had a goatee) and I am thoroughly sick of them. I mostly pluck, but am developing a double chin like line across my chin from squashing my head into the uncomfortable position which allows me to see the patch underneath the chin in the mirror to pluck the hairs there. I am quite paranoid about this area as a colleague once said 'OMG you have a bit of a beard under there!!' (tactless I know, but I always suspected that she was a bit autistic, as I am, and thus probably couldn't stop herself...) so I pluck fairly obsessively. Does anyone have any experience of those waxing strips or removal creams on the face? I can't really afford to get it done professionally.

Tatum

Practically Family
Anwen said:
Does anyone have any experience of those waxing strips or removal creams on the face? I can't really afford to get it done professionally.

I use a particular wax for my eyebrows and bikini line, and have for years. Recently I had a friend ask me to "take care of some strays" on her face, and she had what you are describing! It's really gentle on the face, I hope you can get it in the UK. Here is a link: Gigi Creme Wax... I have to say that I was not impressed with the "strip-free" wax, but I like this one a lot.

Anwen

New in Town
Tatum said:
I use a particular wax for my eyebrows and bikini line, and have for years. Recently I had a friend ask me to "take care of some strays" on her face, and she had what you are describing! It's really gentle on the face, I hope you can get it in the UK. Here is a link: Gigi Creme Wax... I have to say that I was not impressed with the "strip-free" wax, but I like this one a lot.

Ooh, I'll have to have a look next time I'm at Sally!

Nesxt question, does vitamin E normally smell weird? I discovered some vit E capsules in my medicine cabinet from the spring, well in date etc so I squoze a couple into my bottle of oil and then realised (when I wiped the bit that got on my hand on my face) that they smelled a bit weird. The ingredients list shows soya bean oil as the carrier, so maybet hat might be the smell? am hoping they haven't gone off, if it's a normal smell then I'll just add a drop of lavender or something...

Tatum

Practically Family
Anwen said:
Nesxt question, does vitamin E normally smell weird? I discovered some vit E capsules in my medicine cabinet from the spring, well in date etc so I squoze a couple into my bottle of oil and then realised (when I wiped the bit that got on my hand on my face) that they smelled a bit weird. The ingredients list shows soya bean oil as the carrier, so maybet hat might be the smell? am hoping they haven't gone off, if it's a normal smell then I'll just add a drop of lavender or something...

Anwen, vitamin E has ALWAYS smelled weird to me. Almost like a combination of "musty-gone-over" if that makes any sense...

Good luck with the wax! Get the "wax-off" lotion too if they have it, it's a lifesaver!

Anwen

New in Town
Tatum said:
Anwen, vitamin E has ALWAYS smelled weird to me. Almost like a combination of "musty-gone-over" if that makes any sense...

Good luck with the wax! Get the "wax-off" lotion too if they have it, it's a lifesaver!

Oh good, I'll add a little lavender, then.

Am going away for a couple of nights nd thought I'd mention how I'm taking my oil with me - I've saturated a couple of cotton wool balls with the mixture and popped them into a small ziploc bag, and put clean ones in another bag. I'll squeeze the oil out of the oily cotton wool (saving a little for moisturising) and clean it off with tap water on the clean cw.

Cherry Candee

New in Town
I'll have to say, YAY for OCM!!!

It's awesome, I've been using if for about 2 weeks now and it has really improved my skin

I do have a question dolls; how do you 'massage' the oil? I'm lost there [huh]

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Cherry Candee said:
I do have a question dolls; how do you 'massage' the oil? I'm lost there [huh]

Um, you just rub it into your skin, same as you would for any cleanser or facial mask. We're not talking rocket science here lol

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I just cant say it enough!! I LOVE OCM!!!! WOoohoooo... lol lol

My face is LOVING not having to wear foundation anymore!!! :p :p
Not to mention im loving it cause I more time in the morning to make food in the morning

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
LelaViavonie said:
I just cant say it enough!! I LOVE OCM!!!! WOoohoooo... lol lol

My face is LOVING not having to wear foundation anymore!!! :p :p
Not to mention im loving it cause I more time in the morning to make food in the morning

I could go without foundation, but I just don't like going to work not wearing a full face.....its like my armor for dealing with some of my more difficult colleagues lol

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I picked up some vitamin E oil yesterday at the commisarie. I washed my face with it per instructions posted in this thread and voila'! My skin felt better than if I washed it with acne wash! I am thrilled to no end and my dry skin is already on its way out! Yay! Thanks ladies!

Samantha

Cherry Candee

New in Town
KittyT said:
Um, you just rub it into your skin, same as you would for any cleanser or facial mask. We're not talking rocket science here lol

lol I thought you girls were talking about some all complicated you-need-to-go-to-massage-school kind of massage ;)

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Sweet Ara D.

New in Town
oh wow. I am sooooo doing this. i am going to walgreens after work - hopefully they'll have some of the oils mentioned here. I have battled oily skin and gross pores all my life and no one has given me a solution like this one. I have always tried to keep oil as far from my face as possible. I can't believe I am going to rub it in to my skin tonight! yipes!

Thanks for all the info everyone has collected here!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Okay,

After reading this thread, and seeing LelaViavonie's AMAZING complexion in person, I decided to give it a try.

Altho a factor, I dont think the oil 'combinations' are as crucial as other factors in the process. Im using a 50/50 combo of jojoba and burdock root oil (in an olive oil base). My skin was on its way to clearing up from a horrid brake-out (I think stress related) when I tried this method. Im over the hump, and on the decline of gross skin.

What I think made the differences were:
1) I used enough oil to cover my face.
2) I massaged my face fervently for AT LESAST 3-5min twice a day.
3) I increased my water intake 100%

I think the massaging and the water are the most crucial. It works out all the knots, rushes blood to your face, and the water washes out what does not come to the surface. My face feels dirty after a day, which is good. It makes me not want to skip cleaning my face. So every 12 hours, Im cleaning my face. My skin is on a schedule and it likes that.

For the day I use oil, blot with a hot cloth (about 3 times) and use sunscreen.

For bed I clean my face with oil (no pre-clean from day wear), blot with hot cloth (3 times) and finish with toner. Thats it.

So thanks ladies for the indepth discussion on this topic.
Its working for me :D

LD

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Okay,

After reading this thread, and seeing LelaViavonie's AMAZING complexion in person, I decided to give it a try.

Altho a factor, I dont think the oil 'combinations' are as crucial as other factors in the process. Im using a 50/50 combo of jojoba and burdock root oil (in an olive oil base). My skin was on its way to clearing up from a horrid brake-out (I think stress related) when I tried this method. Im over the hump, and on the decline of gross skin.

I think the massaging and the water are the most crucial. It works out all the knots, rushes blood to your face, and the water washes out what does not come to the surface. My face feels dirty after a day, which is good. It makes me not want to skip cleaning my face. So every 12 hours, Im cleaning my face. My skin is on a schedule and it likes that.

For bed I clean my face with oil (no pre-clean from day wear), blot with hot cloth (3 times) and finish with toner. Thats it.

LD

I totally agree about the water intake part. If I don't drink TONS of water, nothing will make my skin look nice.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
MarieAnne said:
I totally agree about the water intake part. If I don't drink TONS of water, nothing will make my skin look nice.

I have been drinking water heaps lately and cant believe the difference!!!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Okay,

LD

Lady Day.. you made me blush!!:eek:

I am SOOOOOOOO HAPPY that your skin has taken a liking to the OCM method! WOOOHOOO!!! Im jumping up and down for you cause I know the wonderful feeling you get when your skin is good to you!! ( I used to suffer from really bad acne and had tons of acne scars):rage:

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace