Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil Cleansing Method

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
I hope to be on LD's downward slope soon, because my skin is looking horrendous at the moment. There aren't a bunch of juicy pustules or anything, but a ton of little sore, red bumps :( I'll keep chugging along I suppose. Maybe I need to strictly limit myself to the oils, because I have been using this so far:

50/50 Castor and Olive
sometimes a little Dr. Bronner's (saponified oils - NOTHING else)
Witch Hazel to tone

Maybe I should omit the Dr. Bronner's?

mackenzie

Familiar Face
Tatum said:
Live Vintageous, I have lots of broken capillaries in my cheeks, and using the cloth to steam hasn't irritated them one bit. I only leave it on until it gets cool, usually a minute, and my cloths are somewhat thin. I also splash cold water afterwards.

I have been using rose water as a toner for about 2 months and when I read this I realised that my broken capillaries are all gone...

live vintageous

Familiar Face
Big thank you for the recommendation!

mackenzie said:
I have been using rose water as a toner for about 2 months and when I read this I realised that my broken capillaries are all gone...

Mackenzie, what brand do you use? Is it real rose water distillate or just rose-scented? I'm really interested in trying this if it would get rid of them.

mackenzie

Familiar Face
live vintageous said:
Mackenzie, what brand do you use? Is it real rose water distillate or just rose-scented? I'm really interested in trying this if it would get rid of them.

It is rose distillate from a brand called roberts. I bought it in italy but on the back of the bottle it says Socità Italo-Britannica so maybe it is available in the UK aswell. I think that any rosewater will do since before I got this bottle I used another of the supermarket brands we got here.
Good luck

live vintageous

Familiar Face
Gratzie, mackenzie! :) Amazon.com carries Roberts Rose Distillate - only 8.00 US dollars for a 10 oz bottle. Not bad. I'm getting some!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
StaceFace said:
I hope to be on LD's downward slope soon, because my skin is looking horrendous at the moment.

Right now my skin is getting over its second wave of grossness. Stuff comes in waves.

All the deep down blemishes (those bumps you feel) are working their way up to the surface. These blemishes are different from my 'usual' ones, they are smaller, much smaller. So Id say all the massaging and extra water are working REAL well. I hope in a few weeks to have clear skin!

I felt this process would take a couple of months to clean throughly. Most natural cleaners are not fast, and thats fine. I know this has the potential to last, so long as Im diligent about my regimen.

I do so LOVE the feeling of my skin, after Ive massaged it real well, and feeing my face pulse with fresh blood. Lets me know stuff is moving under there. :D

LD

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
I think my first wave is subsiding, Lady Day lol. Even with a few itty bitty bumps left, my skin has never felt smoother, and the mid-day oil slicks have practically been eliminated. Also, I found that using Burt's Bees Herbal Blemish Stick has helped tremendously. Has anyone else had any luck with this product?

Tatum

Practically Family
mackenzie said:
It is rose distillate from a brand called roberts. I bought it in italy but on the back of the bottle it says Socità Italo-Britannica so maybe it is available in the UK aswell. I think that any rosewater will do since before I got this bottle I used another of the supermarket brands we got here.
Good luck

I just ordered a bottle, I hope that it works!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Right now my skin is getting over its second wave of grossness. Stuff comes in waves.

All the deep down blemishes (those bumps you feel) are working their way up to the surface. These blemishes are different from my 'usual' ones, they are smaller, much smaller. So Id say all the massaging and extra water are working REAL well. I hope in a few weeks to have clear skin!

I think I'm still in the "grossness" stage right now. Oddly, my T-zone hasn't been breaking out as much, but I'm getting breakouts in the weirdest places - like right at the jawline. Some areas seem bumpy, too. I think I'll stick with it for another month and see what happens. If nothing drastically changes from this...perhaps it's not the best method for me.

I've also been eating really unhealthily lately. :eek: That'll do it. So I can't blame OCM if I'm eating starches and sugars and fats! Hopefully I'll get both the face and the diet under control soon.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LelaViavonie said:
Lady Day!!

Thats great news that all the stuff is comming to surface.. i see clear skin in your near future ;) lol

BTW.. i love your new Avatar! Soo cute :D :D

Thanks and thanks LelaViavonie :)

Its strange, Ill pass by a mirror sometimes, and think "why is my skin so even in tone? Im not wearing foundation!" lol

LD

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I used to get some bad breakouts but I started this year having facials every two to three months for my wedding and the difference in my skin is remarkable - I have hardly any breakouts now.

The facial I normally go for is Dr. Murad Rapid Exfoliator which incorporates a good steam cleaning and lots of moisture to follow.

I have very dry skin (the Winters here don't help!) and my husband got me Creme de la Mer for Christmas last year - it's the only thing that keeps my dry skin moisturised (I was very dubious about it at first thinking it was going to be a pure waste of money but I was wrong!) - it might not suit oily skins as it's very rich but if your skin is very dry it's well worth it - a small pot lasts around 4 months if you use it correctly.

If I get a spot I put a tiny dot of Panoxyl 10 (over the counter) on it - it pretty much kills the spot overnight.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I am really curious about facials, especially since my skin is pretty rubbish at the moment. My massive increase in oiliness has resulted in loads of blackheads which neither cold cream nor OCM can shift. Would a facial help?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:
I am really curious about facials, especially since my skin is pretty rubbish at the moment. My massive increase in oiliness has resulted in loads of blackheads which neither cold cream nor OCM can shift. Would a facial help?

I am a firm believer in facials but you may need to try a few to see if they suit your skin. I've tried numerous ones - Eve Lom, Dermalogica, Anne Semonin (none of them suited me except the last one) but I find the Dr. Murad ones are the best for me.

During most facials they will do a steam and an extraction to remove any blackheads or blockages (sounds gross but is extremely effective!). After that during the Dr. Murad they use the rapid exfoliator which refreshes and brightens your skin - my skin looks great for days and days.

If you give one a go let us know how you get on!

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Hello Ladies,

I saw the thread on the Oil Cleansing Method and thought I would stop by. I too have been using this method since...let's see ....February of this year. I was on a search for a better way to deal with my skin which had gone completely berserk with eczema (self diagnosis)the preceding October. I use a cold pressed organic castor oil and an organic olive oil. Having read that a lesser amount of castor was better for those with dry or irritated skin I chose to use a 20% castor to olive oil mixture. I did quite a bit of surfing on the subject and talked to a couple of people including a pharmacist about it. One thing that I found was that many do not do this on a daily basis. As it is considered to be a "deep cleaning" it is done every other day or as fits the individual face. I use a regimen of every other to day washing with just water otherwise unless I am particularly grimy. During the summer I pushed it to once a week and that worked well. Some times I add a drop of patchouli oil for the "healing properties" as well as its scent. If nothing else it is a nice pampering thing to do to oneself before bed.....have a nice day :)

Sweet Ara D.

New in Town
ShoreRoadLady said:
I think I'm still in the "grossness" stage right now. Oddly, my T-zone hasn't been breaking out as much, but I'm getting breakouts in the weirdest places - like right at the jawline. Some areas seem bumpy, too. I think I'll stick with it for another month and see what happens. If nothing drastically changes from this...perhaps it's not the best method for me.

I'm having the same issue - I guess I am in week 2 of OCM and I am having breakouts in places they haven't been before - and they are large and red where I usually would only have small ones before. But the oil grossness during the day has decreased! I am sticking it out hoping for the best.

I've been using a 50/50 EVOO and castor oil mix. And then rubbing Tea Tree Oil on right before bed. It smells soooooo bad - but seems to be helping. I tried to find Rose Hip Oil - but only found Tea Tree instead - oh well.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
My skin has finally come out of its nadir, and I must say, the OCM is a blessing. I still am having the occasional minute pimple, but nothing much beyond that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot