Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil Cleansing Method

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I have found now that I cannot use OCM day and night. I found a gentle cream clenser and use vitamin E oil lotion to mousterize. That seems to have solved my dry skin isssue. My skin has been behaving itself recently but its juts been dry.

Samantha

MarieAnne

Practically Family
After I had my daughter, my skin was horrible - a lot of breakouts. I did the whole BP, and SA treatment and it worked a little but eventually my skin just got dry and blotchy and I still had breakouts. I was a little over-zealous too though, (BP wash, SA toner, SA moisturizer, SA spot treatment.)

Well, I went running back to the OCM. (2 parts CO, 5 parts EVOO) and before I apply this mixture, I put a dab of tea tree oil on my problem areas and rub it in. I also increased my water intake. And finally, I'm getting less and less breakouts and my skin is not dry or blotchy. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm so excited!
Nice skin is like oxygen. You only realize how precious it is when you don't have any.

Dani California

Familiar Face
i really love doing OCM, but i also rotate with it. I've been using the tomatoe bar that is sold by burt's bees. Also, I found a great website called skinactives.com where you can buy the ingredients and make your own lotions. I just bought the ready made products and my skin is loving it especially using the Pumpkin Enzyme Mask. Doing the OCM (even though they don't really promote that on the site) and using their products and drinking loads of water has completely improved my skin.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Dani California said:
i really love doing OCM, but i also rotate with it. I've been using the tomatoe bar that is sold by burt's bees. Also, I found a great website called skinactives.com where you can buy the ingredients and make your own lotions. I just bought the ready made products and my skin is loving it especially using the Pumpkin Enzyme Mask. Doing the OCM (even though they don't really promote that on the site) and using their products and drinking loads of water has completely improved my skin.

I have wanted to try that tomato bar from berts... hmm.. i think i might just have to give it a try...

Cause for some reason.. little bumps on my forhead have appeared and I think it might be a small allergic reaction to something... hmmm.. Mabey my new supplement.. will have to investigate more :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I changed my mix a bit adding more Jojoba oil than the 50/50 jojoba/burdock root oil and my face did not like it, too oily. So I went back.

I also realized that since I sleep on my stomach, it was not really my pillow cases that were bumping up my cheeks, but I sleep on my arm or hand quite often. When I stopped that, and just use the pillow, my cheeks are fine. Hmm....Stupid oily arms and hands!

LD

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
I have been really lazy of late - and committing skin sin #1 - going to bed with make up on - plus not even bothering with my skin - and cant I tell the difference!

My skin is very unhappy at the lack of OCM! I swear by it, because just in two days back on it, its starting to improve itself!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Lady Day.. I think I might have to stop sleepin on my arms too.. I woke up this morning with my face impated into my arm.. ekkk.. I think i might have found the source of my little bumpies on my forehead...:rolleyes:

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
RitaHayworth said:
I have been really lazy of late - and committing skin sin #1 - going to bed with make up on - plus not even bothering with my skin - and cant I tell the difference!

My skin is very unhappy at the lack of OCM! I swear by it, because just in two days back on it, its starting to improve itself!

Well shame on me, too, for the same reasons :( Ewwww.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
StaceFace said:
Well shame on me, too, for the same reasons :( Ewwww.

Oops. I should have put CAN tell the difference.

I had a very stressful week last week, late nights, early mornings, assignments, coffee overload to keep me awake and health problems - and when I did finally take all that make up off - EEK!!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
My skin.. has just taken a beating!! With this holiday season I havent had any sleep with family in town.. and my poor skin has taken a beating.. I became allergic to something.. and its now finally clearing up! I have a really good feeling that it was the flaxseed I was taking.

I treated my face to a half hour massage of jajoba/grapseed and Rose hip oil last night with some steam.. Yeahhh!! :p

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I have a question, ladies: for all of you who were going to try out the OCM, how did it work for you? I tried it for a few weeks, and started breaking out severely. I'd expected *some* breakout, perhaps, but this was persistent and didn't go away, and the acne was much more severe than I've had in the past. Therefore, I dropped doing the OCM, and returned to washing my face with warm water and a washcloth morning and evening, with the occasional honey mask. It's cleared up immensely, even with a not-so-great diet.

Now...I didn't use toner afterward, which I read that some of you did. That could have made a difference. However, every toner I've come across has alcohol in it, and that's very drying to the face; I didn't want to saturate my face in oil and then dry it out; it seemed counterproductive. Suffice it to say that I don't think I'll be trying to put oil on my face anytime soon, beyond eye makeup removal.

So...did anyone have successes? Failures?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I haven't been using the OCM everyday as I just don't have time or forget, but I use it at least a few times a week. However, I've noticed that my forehead has become a bit of an oil slick lately, which it never really was before!

I've been using castor oil/EVOO/jojoba oil, probably one part castor oil to two parts EVOO, plus a dash of jojoba. I have blackhead problems, so that's why I tend to use a bit more castor oil, and it's been working so far. When my forehead started getting oil I left out the castor oil, thinking it was drying me out and then my skin started overproducing oil to compensate, but that didn't fix anything.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

roselily

One of the Regulars
I switched to WO mid December and my skin has never looked better. I still use a bit of oil to remove mascara if I'm wearing it, but that's about it. My breakouts have reduced significantly, and my oil levels seem to have stablized. No oil slicks or dry spots.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ShoreRoadLady said:
I have a question, ladies: for all of you who were going to try out the OCM, how did it work for you? I tried it for a few weeks, and started breaking out severely. I'd expected *some* breakout, perhaps, but this was persistent and didn't go away, and the acne was much more severe than I've had in the past. Therefore, I dropped doing the OCM, and returned to washing my face with warm water and a washcloth morning and evening, with the occasional honey mask. It's cleared up immensely, even with a not-so-great diet.

So...did anyone have successes? Failures?

You are cleaning your skin naturally, dont expect fast results. It took MONTHS for my skin to level out, to where I stopped solely cleaning my face with oil twice a day, and just do it at night before bed (In the morning I use a cocoa butter cleansing bar).

I still get some blemishes, but my MAJOR areas (my cheeks) are free of bumps and are smoothing out. I just had a brake out on my chin (Ive never had one of those before) so I assume the groseness is being cleared from there now.

Also, I wouldnt use this if you are on some other skin program. I dont see how they could help each other, only irritate the skin.

Your blemishes become different than pre OCM, smaller. This method takes time, and training your skin to absorb oil again. Most lotions and cleansers have alcohol in them so they evaporate faster. Thats nothing new.

Find the oil that works for your skin, message heavily and drink lots of water. :)

LD

jayem

A-List Customer
Has anybody tried pumpkin seed oil? I saw it today while browsing for safflower seed oil and was very curious since pumpkin seeds are very good for the skin when eaten.

zombi

A-List Customer
OCM gave me cystic acne when I never had it before [huh] I may be willing to give it a try again, but man, that really turned me off of it. I tried it for a few months, trying to give it time to even out, but it just got worse and worse and worse. I wonder if I did something wrong! I used jojoba and castor only.

Lillemor

One Too Many
My mother gave me a tiny bottle of Juhldal's apricot kernel oil for cuticles and face it says on the bottle. I've only tested it on my cuticles. With my generally oily and sensitive skin I'm somewhat reluctant to try this on my face. I wear WP eyeliner and mascara so I don't think it's an option make-up remover. I'm using two different Neutrogena cleansers to try to clear up my skin and I don't want to have to start all over if this oil wrecks havoc on my skin and causes new blemishes.

I've even found a drugstore nightcream with E-vitamin that doesn't cause the blemishes most moisturizers cause and when I finish off my bottle of Oriflame face lotion I'll shift to the day version of the cream as well.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I was wondering who was still doing this? I'm thinking of trying it again as I seem to be allergic to every other cleanser I try...

Marla

A-List Customer
Smuterella, I've been doing OCM since November and my skin has never been better. I know some girls do it in the morning and at night, but I only do it in the evening since the oil removes makeup so well.

scarlett

One of the Regulars
I still use jojoba every night to clean and remove makeup. I wipe off the first application and then reapply a lighter application to leave on for the night. As an extra advantage, my eyelashes are longer and thicker than they have ever been.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21