Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil pull Aero hides

apba1166

A-List Customer
Do the oil pull hides, I'm thinking particularly of steer oil pull, resist/endure rain any better than regular steer? How about the HH oil pull vs. other HH w/rain?

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hello leather lovers,

I´m in the same ugly situation :eusa_doh: to choose the type of leather for my new jacket. Already owning two Aero´s in brown hfqhh and one in vintage black hfqhh, I looked for the seal jerky hh or the brown oilpull. See a picture of the samples I got from Aero. the upper is the jerky.

5552616812_3bd21a2c62_z.jpg

The leather was treated, screatched and rupped. The oilpull did not loose any color!! Both are thicker as I thought and smooth.
At least the leathers are completely different. Both are fantastic.

This time I go for the oilpull. It is very smooth, looks for me more "living" "warmer" and the touch is exelent.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Olli

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
My only leather jacket is an Aero A2 42-15142-P contract model oilpull hh, 1,5 years of allmost daily wear except on hot days:

IMG_5241.jpg

IMG_5240.jpg

IMG_5239.jpg

IMG_5238.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

When this jacket arrived I was in despair because when I ordered it, I didn't fully understand this type of leather and it's characteristics.. 1,5 or so years later, I would recommend anyone who can afford another leather jacket, to at least own one.. It's my only leather jacket so I cannot compare it to anything in my wardrobe, but I'm very happy with it. Earlier posts mentioned staining on clothing, this isn't an issue in my case. I've worn white shirts under it, during rainy days.. no problem at all. The leather takes rain very well (this was one of my initial worries..)

Last edited:

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hey, that is an amazing A2 and the patina is awesome.

I think that the oilpull AERO handle tody is different from yours. Since some customers have had problems with the fading they bought a different oilpull, I guess. The one you see in me picture looks more shiny in the surface.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Hey, that is an amazing A2 and the patina is awesome.

I think that the oilpull AERO handle tody is different from yours. Since some customers have had problems with the fading they bought a different oilpull, I guess. The one you see in me picture looks more shiny in the surface.

I cannot comment on Aero's current supply of oilpull hides, the hide used in my jacket has had shiny areas and duller areas from the beginning.. with wear this characteristic emphasizes the 'worn' look.. in my opinion Aero didn't lie about this jacket getting that vintage-look very quickly.. It's like Paddy said, if it's not your thing, don't buy it. Friends were amazed about how fast my jacket got broken in.. at first they were like: "Hey, your jacket looks too new... it needs some scuffing badly", a few months later they were like: "Wow man, is that the same jacket?"... I'm wondering if this jacket will look good in a year or ten..

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Hey Djgo - the jacket looks amazing. Would you mind telling me what denim you're wearing? I like the cut of them.

Windward

Practically Family
Hey Djgo - thanks for sharing - those pics says more than thousand words - just stunning!! Great to see for me because I have an oil pull horse jacket on order. . . I remember when your oil pull jacket (and boots?) was new - any pic for comparision?
WW

Last edited:

JanSolo

Practically Family
Windward, your jacket will not be made from the same hide as Diego's. About one or two years ago Aero slightly changed the specs for they Oil-pull. I've heard of many people complaining about how quickly the leather sueded and got a "Nubuck"-appearance. Aero's current OP is much darker and its surface will not start to degrade as quickly as it used to do. Gancho's picture gives a very good impression of how the current batch looks like.

Here's a pic of me wearing a brand-new A1 in Aero's old OP. Remember: This is not what you will get.

3028923287_e18e94c453.jpg

3026543285_02ef85e414.jpg

3027370478_1656548fa6.jpg

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Windward, your jacket will not be made from the same hide as Diego's. About one or two years ago Aero slightly changed the specs for they Oil-pull. I've heard of many people complaining about how quickly the leather sueded and got a "Nubuck"-appearance. Aero's current OP is much darker and its surface will not start to degrade as quickly as it used to do. Gancho's picture gives a very good impression of how the current batch looks like.

Here's a pic of me wearing a brand-new A1 in Aero's old OP. Remember: This is not what you will get.

3028923287_e18e94c453.jpg

3026543285_02ef85e414.jpg

3027370478_1656548fa6.jpg

That A1 rocks! it looks like it's indeed the same hide that's used on my jacket.. beautiful. I'm wondering what time and wear will do to the leather.. As far as I'm concerned, my jacket's patina may stay the way it is, but that'll probably mean that I will have to stow it away in a closet and never wear it again..

Windward

Practically Family
Thanks Jan - you are right this is definitely not what I want to have - probably have to think twice ...any experience or opinions regarding the "Vintage Cordovan".
AERO got one on their sale page and it looks great. Seems to look lighter in color that my Windward in standard cordovan horse.
Thanks

UWEZ

New in Town
The current Oil Pull is much darker than the Jacket of Jan and reminds me on "dark chocolate". Please find attached links to my 1950's Halfbelt, which is now 4 months old. Compared to my other Aero Jackets, the Oil Pull is lighter in weight and very soft right from the start. To me it is an ideal spring, summer, autumn jacket. The smell of the leather is also different from my other jackets. It has a kind of earthy type nice smell. Thanks for looking!

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/uwez/Aero Leather Jackets/P1000410.jpg
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/uwez/Aero Leather Jackets/P1000411.jpg

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Awesome UWEZ!!!

Thanks you for posting the pictures of your jacket. Now I´m 100% sure that I ordered the right hide for my new jacket.
It should be ready within the next 4-6 weeks and I can not await to receive it.

Many regards

Oliver

53Effie

A-List Customer
Just to add a confirming comment...My oil-pull HWM is made of the more recent leather and is very similar in appearance to UWEZ' jacket. Oliver, I think I emailed you some pics of it awhile back. It is a fairly heavy jacket and has not been all that quick to break in. I really like the characteristics of the leather. I don't think you will be disappointed.

UWEZ

New in Town
Dear Jan & Olli,
Thanks for posting the pics and the compliments for the jacket. What kind of Jacket have you on order, Olli?
I am curious and also think about another piece from Aero. I was always wondering, if it would be a good idea to open an own Aero Thread as a kind of "Aero Library", were we could post all of our Aero's on one spot? What would you think? Looking forward to your opinion.
Regards
Uwe

apba1166

A-List Customer
To answer my own question about oil-pulls in the rain....no problem. I'm in Washington State on the Pugent Sound for a week and the weather can be nasty here, so I was debating which jacket to take, a heavy deerskin I like and takes battering pretty well, a heavy wool-lined denim, or an older oil-pull steer Route 66, and chose the latter (of course the no-brainer choice is a weatherproof, warm, rain-resisitant yellow parka I have, but that's too simple). Changed a flat today in blowing rain, jacket kept me warm and dry.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Good Morning Uwe,
my running order is a Cafe Racer with some special features. You will see pictures here in a few weeks.

From my point of view we do not need a extra AERO tread. Here are so many pictures of AERO jackets.......

have a nice day...

Olli

UWEZ

New in Town
@Gancho: Hi Olli,
yes I agree, but they would be all easy to find in one place w/o searching. I would immediately add five examples....;-)
Cafe racer in Oil Pull sounds quite nice to me. I was thinking on a Mariner in Oil Pull or seal Jerky, but my home financial
officer disagrees currently with another investment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24