Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ok..Don't Laugh

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
Ok...don't laugh but I've decided to take tap dancing lessons! Yes..I said it and strangely don't feel too embarassed. "My name is Kilgour T and I'm a tap dancer"!. As strange as it sounds, someone up here in Red Lake is skilled enough to teach and has put an adult class in the right spot. At the age of 40 I guess I should give up on conformity, anti-conformity or whatever they call it. All I know is I've always enjoyed Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire and Donald O Connor. Here was a way to do something fun, healthy and novel, if I get any good at it that is.....
I wonder if I'm the only one on the forum who has put their foot out into these waters? I've been somewhat surprised while trying to recruit people...how many think its sounds fun.

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout

It should be especially challenging since I broke a couple of toes on the weekend...:D , Fairly common occurence for me and I at least have a week to heal.

STHill

One of the Regulars
I've always admired tap dancers. I have neither the aptitude nor the discipline to try it, however. Go for it, Kilgour, and report back to us. By the way, I gotta ask, why is breaking your toes a common occurence for you?

Dollface

New in Town
Kilgour Love~

Kilgour...I think you should GO for it!!! Good for you!! I have been a dancer all of my life doing all sorts of dancing...ballet, jazz, modern etc. and never had any time to tap dance...about 6 years ago i decided i was gonna do it!!! And i am 34 years...so...
Tap dancing is GREAT exercise, just watch out for those charlie horses the first couple of weeks!!! ;)

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
Thanks!

Thanks for the encouragement folks!:) , You know...Dollface, I've actually thought that this might help in the cardio vascular department! I've been thinking....when was the last time I saw a "serious dancer" with a weight problem? Never. I even recall in my dancing days (high school and college) how unconscious the exercise was. You're having so much fun nobody notices you burned as many calories as running a marathon. Between the fun of dancing and the girls, I was completely unaware the good I was doing. If tap is anything...it has to be good excercise.

ST...as for breaking toes regularly...It is an unfortunate "inhereted" situation. Like my mother before me and my children...we move just too fast, get ahead of ourselves and forget where our feet are!LOL , Honestly...I break at least one toe a year and that is being conservative...walking barefoot getting ready for work, chasing the kids or catching the ironing board as I'm running down the hallway:confused: . My most profound memories of my mother are of her sailing through the air holding her toes!!!!:D LOL . My poor children have inhereted the same defective hyper active gene, while my wife (who's feet are just too small) has a habit of slipping under cars int he winter, falling down stairs and most recent "falling through our deck". I tell her she has to be careful of those small feet, (like high heels) the pounds per square inch on her tiny feet must be enormous though she herself is not.LOL . She could get a job breaking ice in the Artic with those feet!!!

Anyway...thanks again, I'll keep you up to date on the classes. I'm hoping these two busted and one bruised one will co-operate enough for my shoe fitting. BTW..whats a good brand of tap shoe? There's a question maybe Dollface could answer. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout

PS...Dollface...just checked out your website. Very nice in every respect. Wow..Great list of achievements and variety of events. My compliments indeed, gives me some hope.

Dollface

New in Town
Thank for the kind compliments on my website and my achievments Kilgour! **blows kisses**

Well I have had great luck with Capezios and Blochs, however, you may want to look at a beginner tap shoe. I have a oxford pair of tap shoes i am able to "tune" myself for a specific surface to dance on.

I definitely would get a "full" soled shoe and not a split sole. split soles i think are best for advance dancers because their feet are stronger. It's been my experience that beginners find their feet get tired quicker in a split sole. I would also stay away from a tap shoe that has the flexibility of a jazz shoe such as Gus Gioridano's taps. If you aren't use to dancing in a jazz shoe, again the arches of your feet will get tired.

A great place to buy dance shoes at a really reasonable price is Discount Dance... here is a link for ya...

DISCOUNT DANCE

Hope this helps you out...let me know if you have any other questions. I will be glad to help ya out if i can.

Toodle-loo

Doll

Ps. I would maybe let your toes heal for a couple of weeks before tap dancing. Tapping is pretty hard on your feet. Trust me...I have broken plenty of toes dancing...don't want to permanently injure your toes. I also would tape your toes that are broken...i occasionally still tape my toes that i have broken in the past for support, but that's just my 2 cents. LOL

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
The Dave Dance?

Coffee Dude...I'm more likely to get the quick hoof out the door!LOL .
I simply love the Avatar Dave's got going there. And as anside..I'm actually going to get to meet this refined gentleman in Toronto on the 22nd if all goes well. I'm sure he'll be able to help me get the steps down before I come back to class the following Tuesday. I just wish more of you were a bit closer to Toronto to join us. We're going to see if the hatlady can join us as well....

P.s. Is there anyone out there willing to host a tiny little Avatar until I can figure out how to set one up? I'm off to pick up Avatars for Dummies...

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout

CoffeeDude

One of the Regulars
Kilgour, why you join us at the QM in Nov. and teach us those dance steps too. Can't you just see a room full of us doing that as a line dance. :eek:

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
Oh Yah!!

Oh Yah!!LOL , When I'm down in Toronto, I'll get Canadave to come with me! It would be a scream :D . When I was in Air Cadets about 100 years ago, I used to train my flight in some rather unusual moves which I would have them perform. On base, it was usually in front of the Officers mess or at home during regular parade. There is really nothing like a bunch of guys doing syncronized goofy stuff!:D
Once we got it down...We could do it on Deck! but somehow we've got work bullwhips into the routine! Sounds like a job for Dollface...she could put a whole choriography together. Oh man...I love absurdity! Dude...try and find out if there are any good "Health Conferences in LA" at that time and I'm there!! I'll start checkin out the Internet.

Having too much fun here..
Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout

Michaelson

One Too Many
Kilgour, all I can do is humbly tip my fedora to your progress. Just the thought of trying to start something like that makes my knees hurt, and I'm only 10 years older than you! Enjoy it, and to HECK with those you think will laugh. Who cares what THEY think anyhow? Have a blast!!!Regards. Michaelson

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
What doesn't hurt!!!

Thanks for the encouragement Michealson:D . You know...I've had alot of people (even my wife) say, I would but "my knee's, feet, back, legs, neck, head, war injuries....etc, would probably kill me afterwared. My question to them is, past the age of 40 "What doesn't hurt!LOL ". Adding up all the injuries from hockey, tennis and working..."what part of our bodies, doesn't hurt" (boy that question sounds familiar :) . So...I maybe be sick but It's always fun to try out new types of pain :D .
When I started playing squash 2 years ago, I discovered something called squash butt. It was the funniest thing my co-workers (all women) had ever seen. I didn't mind at all, it was so much fun....I didn't realize I was losing weight (-15 lbs) after a month. The good thing is its stayed off with just a little exercise.
So..I'm interested to see what this tap dancing is going to do. Its starts tomorrow..so I'll report in on subsequent injuries and progress as things go. I think Dollface said something about Charlie Kalas? I'm not sure what she ment but we'll see...

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout

CoffeeDude

One of the Regulars
One thing I have learned is that when you get past the age of 40, if there's a body part that doesn't snap, crackle, pop, or hurt ... it's because it doesn't work. ;)
Originally posted by Kilgour Trout
... So...I maybe be sick ...
That's why you fit in so well with the likes of Michaelson and myself. :eek: :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner