Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK...so what is your oldest hat?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I started collecting hats as part of my vintage wardrobe, then to fill in the Vintage store my wife and I started, then finally because I got hooked and fascinated with the entire field. My earliest is a well loved and almost completely worn out topper from about 1830. The next oldest is 1860s and is one of the last pure 100% beaver plushes made by Dunlap and for lack of a better description call it a flat topped "Boss of the Plains" to get a visual. I don't have them pictured, although they were featured on a segment of Collectible Treasures a few years ago. I'll work on posting pics as time allows. But , now I'm interested in how every one ELSE got bit.
Any good stories out there?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My oldest

Gee Art, I think my 1930's Dobbs or the same period MacLaughlan's are my oldest...the Silver Beaver 50s...but maybe not...they are pretty tall crowns and wide brim. But the felt..you saw them...creamy, tight, and smooth. Most of what interests me in 30's to early 50's Fedoras....you can keep the stingy brims, and.. oh yes, I have a Stetson Boater...aged but unbroken straw and clean ribbon. I bet that could be a 1920's...but they made them well into the 50's...

Art, how do you age date a Stetson straw boater?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Art, how do you age date a Stetson straw boater?

A number of different ways Kev. First is the weave. then we look at the liner (or sticker) ie: type & how it is sewn, brim width, ribbon age and so on. Mostly it is just experience in handling earlier hats and getting a "feel" for them. You start to recognize earlier ribbon patterns etc. It's like anything else, you gotta kiss alotta frogs

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hey Art

So how do you like MY new Avitar? It was done on a hot sunny day with my face squinting in the sun as the artist did a pencil drawing of me at the Art and Wine Festival in Walnut Creek. Yours is better.
Thanks for the info on the dating of the hat and speaking of dating: LUNCH 11:30 on TUES at El Sol!

kent

New in Town
I've got an old bi-cornered chapeau from a masonic Knights Templar chapter from ohio. Goes back to the late 1800s. Quite fun to wear it, as I assume most bi-cornered hats are. I can't imagine the kind of comments I'd get wearing it on a typical day....

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Ahh c'mon Kent...you can wear it!!!
There were many "Knights of Columbus" type organizations that used that hat with their outfit. I have one, but have never understood it. Someday I'll look into it's significance. Do you know much about it?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Dusty,
For many years I was involved in a local car club (Contemporary Historical Vehicle Assoc.) CHVA and was the director for a while. I retired from that position when I aquired a third company to be involved in and one of the members was a successful artist. This was his "retirement" gift to me. It was done from a picture he had taken on one of our tours to the wine country. If I recall, alcohol was involved.))

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Oldest hat... hmmmm.

I would have to go with both my black bowlers. one is unlined and the other is lined, both are in great condition except for the leather bands. I believe them to be from the 20's.

I also have a 30's boater and a early 30's possibly late 20's Borsalino.

I only have pics of the Boater at the moment.

100_0066-vi.jpg

100_0067-vi.jpg

100_0068-vi.jpg

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
Originally posted by Art Fawcett
Dusty,
For many years I was involved in a local car club (Contemporary Historical Vehicle Assoc.) CHVA and was the director for a while. I retired from that position when I aquired a third company to be involved in and one of the members was a successful artist. This was his "retirement" gift to me. It was done from a picture he had taken on one of our tours to the wine country. If I recall, alcohol was involved.))

Art,
Well in this case, it would apper Motivational Beverages were a good thing :cool:
Dusty

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
My wife and I live in a 91 year old house and have collected antiques for 27 years, we love all the old stuff. While always liking fedora's I never started wearing them or vintage clothes until one of my daughter's got into swing dancing a number of years ago and she starting dressing the part. Her interest in wearing vintage clothes got me started. I started buying a few vintage tie's and then bought a stingy brim cavanagh to go with them. Then a couple borsalino's from the 60s. After I got used to seeing myself in a fedora I started buying them with wider brims and higher crowns. I've since given away the borsalinos and sold the cavanagh. My oldest hat isn't really that old compared to some of the other one's you guys have. It's a borsalino which I think is probably from the 30s or 40s. I only get fedora's that I will wear regularly so I don't have any boaters, homburgs or bowlers.

fedoralover

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Well in this case, it would apper Motivational Beverages were a good thing
Almost ALWAYS a good thing Dusty.)

Fedoralover, thanks for sharing. We all have stories & it's good to hear them. Somehow, it makes me feel LESS insane to hear how others got into the hobby/lifestyle. or at least, insane with alot of company.!!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Insane or compulsive obsessive? It does appear to be an addiction at the very least. A number of years ago I bought a fedora off ebay from a fellow who said his collection numbered 95!! That even has Andykev beat, (I think). But at any rate Art, you are in good company here when it come to collecting, compulsing, or obsessing, or just being insane about fedora's and all things vintage.

fedoralover

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh boy!

If you people visited Art's shop.....you would see that he owns well over 500 fedora hats, not to mention vintage suits, dresses, ladies hats....

Remember, we are all rookie amature's when it comes to Art.

And his collection of hat blocks, brim irons, machinery, sewing machines......

Come have lunch with us...you'll see!!!!!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I'm not sure that could be called a "Collection" anymore. Maybe the Fort Knox of Fedora's would be more appropriate. Art, if you charged a fee to come into your shop I would pay it just to look around.

fedoralover

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I have an old straw boater probably from the 20s or 30s, but what I really consider my oldest hat -- because it's all mine -- is a red rubber, very art deco "Flash Gordon" helmet that I acquired as a toddler. I have a photo of myself wearing it dated 1957, but I don't know if it was new then or came from an older relative. I was practically born wearing hats (I tell people my mother was frightened by Walter Winchell during the third trimester), but this is the only one from my childhood that has survived.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21