Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Okay, here's another one

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Beats the heck outta me Fedoralover. I've seen that for years & just assume that it is a proprietary term for their own finish. Sorry, no help here. Any one else?

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I've always assumed it had something to do with the way the felt was processed. But I don't know if thats true or not and even if it is, how is that different from any other way felt is processed. You were the ONE I thought would know Art.

fedoralover

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cravanette process

This was the term used by the manufacturer...and Art is correct. It is just a term used to put one's hat over the next guy. Most old ads tout the "Cravanette" process as a type of water proofing. Along the lines of "shed's water" "duck's back" "swans back" etc etc...

MY ASSUMPTION is that this is just a description of the finishing process where a waterproofer was applied which helped shed those raindrops and keep the hat's shape. Remember, most of the hats back then were like shoes today: cheap shoes sell and the expensive ones are for the select buyer. Translated, no way was all the hats made from 100% beaver or nutria.

Again, you could go into ANY (and I mean ANY) clothing store, and there would be tons of men's hats. That is non existant today. Try to find a decent hat in Macys or wherever you buy your pants and underwear.

Sad....isn't it.?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here is the Cravanette Process

This was a term for the Mallory Hat..and it was used throughout their advertising. Here is an early example.

f988500c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21