Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oklahoma City Suggestions

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I just went to Oklahoma City for the day to search for a new place to live. My job is taking me to the South Side of Tinker AFB and I need a nice safe and inexpensive place to live with my stuff. The last time I lived in an apartment, I had new crappy furniture, no firearms, no tools, and no money (1980's). Now I have my grandparents antique furniture, several irreplaceable firearms (the guy who built them for me passed away), a few tools, and a little more money.

I looked around Mustang, Moore, Norman, and Moore OK. I found some decent places in Mustang, but didn't see anything much in Moore, but the traffic was pretty bad for a Saturday afternoon. I liked Norman, but didn't see anything nice looking. It would also be more of a drive. I also didn't go past OU and I didn't try to avoid it either. Midwest City was older looking too. Of course, I live in Wichita KS, and we brought our now 25 year old home to the apartments just down the street from our current house, and we were the first residents of out apartment. There's ONE new apartment in our area, I guess Oklahoma is the same. I'll search the net a little harder in Moore and Norman.

I drove past Cattleman's steakhouse on my way out of town, and there were at least 100 people waiting outside at 5:45 PM. There's a hat shop around the corner from Cattleman's, and I drove past Schaefer's Hat Works in Noble OK, but he was already closed. Nice looking place, he has a barber chair in there for some reason. I didn't find (or look for) Shorties.

Later

Last edited:

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
KHmm. I'm not sure what to make of your exploration of OKC, other than it making sense that you'd look for a home close to where you'll be working. As a longtime resident of the inner city uptown 'hood allow me to encourage you not to limit your search to the suburbs. There's a lot of life in the heart of the city, and most of the
sirens you hear are ambulance & fire dept. rather than police. ;) Keep in mind, too, tbat should you choose to reside in the City proper, traffic won't be a huge problem as most people live out and drive in for work. We live very near the Capital and I 235 & my husband drives to the southside for work, passing masses of cars coming in from the outskirts. Just a thought. I liked Norman very much when I was a student there years ago, but now the sprawling bedroom community aura of it has put me off.
I'm not clear on if you're after a house or an apartment, but do take a look at older neighborhoods like Mesta Park and Heritage Hills, especially if you like a sense of community & are interested in art, social, historical activities. This city's never been so alive, particularly in the middle.
And please forgive typos; this Kindle business is tricky.@

1961MJS

Hi

Right now, I'm looking for apartments. I'm more of a redneck than a city slicker even though a great uncle used to run a bar in downtown OKC somewhere back during prohibition. The kids are out of the house, and I'm not looking for another house to buy until I decide where I want to retire too.

Later

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'm more of a city slicker, I guess, and not so much of a redneck, but if I were moving back to OKC, I'd probably be ThesFlishThngs' neighbor, as the older areas near downtown are the ones that most appeal to me.

But there probably aren't as many apartments in those neighborhoods.

1961MJS

Hi

One thing I noticed in looking around OKC is that most of the apartments were built in the 1980's. Thinking about it, same here in Wichita, there are several complexes within a mile of where we live, ONE is less than 10 years old. I'll probably get an apartment and start looking for a house to rent. Most houses seem to be built a little better than most apartments.

I didn't look downtown at all, I can't stand downtown Wichita because that's where the COW (city of Wichita's) entire focus is. I'll try that, as someone made the point that if you live there, you'll always be going a different direction than everyone else. I'll also have to look out by Choctaw and out towards the gun club...

Later

Last edited:

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
A nice compromise between a shoddy modern apartment and a rental house would be a vintage four- or 8-plex. They can be found in the neighborhoods north of downtown, where they were built in the 20s and 30s for young singles who commuted on the interurban. If I found myself having to live in an apartment, I'd much prefer one of these charming units in an old neighborhood.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
A nice compromise between a shoddy modern apartment and a rental house would be a vintage four- or 8-plex. They can be found in the neighborhoods north of downtown, where they were built in the 20s and 30s for young singles who commuted on the interurban. If I found myself having to live in an apartment, I'd much prefer one of these charming units in an old neighborhood.

That does ring a bell. I'd love to see some photos of some of those buildings (hint, hint).

1961MJS

Hi

What streets would border the area you're talking about? I've only been on the South side and came back to Wichita through Edmund.

Thanks

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I'll have to go on a walk with my camera then. ;) Meanwhile, for Mr. 1961 I'll suggest have a look at Mesta Park, Jefferson Park, Central Park, Paseo, and maybe even Heritage Hills.

Sorry, that was directed at Skyvue.

The area between NW 10 and NW 50 is a good place to look, from 2-35 west to Penn, or a little further. If you google the neighborhoods I mentioned you should get some useful info.

Last edited:

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
Wish I had some info for you, but I don't pay mush attention to these kinds of things. Yet. Norman is a nice place, pretty cool downtown area, if a a bit small. The drive to Tinker isn't too bad. There's the highway, or just a straight shot North on 12th. Great location too. Close to OKC and Noble, if you want to visit Schafer Hat Works.

1961MJS

Hi

I guess I wasted my time looking in Mustang. A friend of mine who has worked at Tinker for YEARS said he's looking to move because he has to stare at the sun the whole way into work and the whole way back home to Mustang.

Later

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Wish I had some info for you, but I don't pay mush attention to these kinds of things. Yet. Norman is a nice place, pretty cool downtown area, if a a bit small. The drive to Tinker isn't too bad. There's the highway, or just a straight shot North on 12th. Great location too. Close to OKC and Noble, if you want to visit Schafer Hat Works.

Speaking of Schafer Hat Works, can anyone offer a ballpark figure what he charges for a fedora?

1961MJS

Geez, it's been a while since I've been there. Pretty expensive, I believe. I think a 100% beaver would run you around 500 dollars.

Hi

$500 for a custom 100% beaver is at least reasonable. Cowboy weight felt is about $100 more per hat than Fedora weight (dress weight) felt. In addition, the brim is usually a lot bigger so there's more waste.

Why does he have a barber chair in his place? I was able to drive by and look in the window.

Later

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
I think he just likes the look of it. Serves no real purpose. I can check in on his prices, just to clear everything up. He closes shop around the time my school lets out, but we only have 6 days left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails