Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Aero Leather Co. Label

HAMMER

New in Town
Hello,

Its an honor to be back again, and hello to everyone.

I recently acquired an older Aero jacket, very heavy, old patina, front quarter horsehide with the label that has the vintage airplane, car and motorcycle.

This label does not, however, have the "Made in Scotland" or the word AERO in red cursive script. Rather the phrase Aero Leather Clothing Company appears like typeset print.

The zippers have these amazing pulls that look like medieval balls and chains. Could this be a pre-Scotland Aero? Like from Beacon NY?

I'd be glad to upload photos but found I couldn't due to a very small file size limit?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any clues on the history of Aero before the fine folks in Scotland bought the name. Information on Aero jackets from Beacon seems slim outside of the military jacket realm. I do have an original A-2 from Aero of Beacon, and several from Aero Scotland, but have never seen a non-military, pre Scotland-era Aero label.

Thanks so much for any insight from collectors more seasoned than me.

Hammer

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This would appear to be an original jacket made by Aero Leather Clothing in Beacon NY, so it probably dates from the 1940s. Pictures would be helpful.

HAMMER

New in Town
Pre-Scotland Aero Label

I'll try again to upload a photo or two, maybe the problem is on my side. I appreciate your observation. Judging by the Zipper pulls, the wear and tear on the lining and so forth, the 40s or early 50s would appear about right. Its exciting and unexpected to run into one of these jackets, if it is an 'original' NY Aero.

HAMMER

New in Town
Photos of Old Aero

Wow, it worked, feel free to page around to more photos of the jacket. I'll also post the exact links.

HAMMER

New in Town
Thanks

Thanks again Andrew. I'll post a few more photos of the patina of this jacket. I'm working to bring out more of its richness as it had been bone dry. Our climate down here doesn't help. Could use a little GB rain.

When I saw this jacket for the first time, my jaw dropped. Despite its age and slightly worn/thin look it had stunning command presence. Now the leather is soaking up lanolin, etc. and increasing dramatically in weight, thickness and strength. Its even thicker than the super heavy horsehide of Aero Scotland.

carlstadt

New in Town
Picture089.jpg

Hi, I also have old Aero Leather Jacket with old label.

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
I'm getting interested in Aero label...did the current Transatlantic company copy the old Aero Leather NY labels? I noticed that Aero leather Scotland does have many labels available today, but this one is the most famous.

PoohBang

Suspended
I guess would be it's not Aero Beacon but Aero Scotland.

it's probably just an early jacket from the 80's, that's seen some use and weathering.

What does it say in black print at the top of the label?

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I also think it's an early Aero (Scotland) jacket as I'd be surprised if Aero Beacon sourced Royal Stewart (I Think) tartan as a lining material!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner