Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old fashioned names new again....

Barbigirl

Practically Family
No Dakotas or Jordyns for me...

JustJen mentioned to me her son (age 6) is names Baron. Names seem to come in and out of fashion like styles and I am aware of this because I named my daughters what I felt sounded old fashioned:

Emily Elizabeth (age 14) Elizabeth is after Grama's middle name & Aunts
Caroline Grace (age 10) It was the best we could agree on but I love it now

Emily is very commonly used now but it fits her.
What names do you like? Would name your children? Are names of people you know or admire? And what names do you abhor?

I simply cannot abide the name Cecil.

maintcoder

A-List Customer
But it suits me...

Barbigirl said:
No Dakotas or Jordyns for me...

JustJen mentioned to me her son (age 6) is names Baron. Names seem to come in and out of fashion like styles and I am aware of this because I named my daughters what I felt sounded old fashioned:

Emily Elizabeth (age 14) Elizabeth is after Grama's middle name & Aunts
Caroline Grace (age 10) It was the best we could agree on but I love it now

Emily is very commonly used now but it fits her.
What names do you like? Would name your children? Are names of people you know or admire? And what names do you abhor?

I simply cannot abide the name Cecil.

Cecil Flintridge, that is... lol I guess I better cancel that name change paperwork at the county, huh? ;)

My daughters are Kayla Noelle and Amanda Nicole, which I think worked out very nicely and suits them each to a tee.

Tudor

Familiar Face
Two sons:
Scott Robert -age 14 – after my Father and brother.
Bill Michael – age 10 - (Not William) after my Uncle.

I like single syllable first names for a boy.

By-the-way, my avatar is a pic of my Dad and Uncle Bill and their Indian motorcycles taken about 1949.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Great thread!

A friend once said that you could look at a list of names and pretty much identify the decade in which they were born.
I prefer old-fashioned, traditional names.

Our daughters: India Augusta (deceased), Grace Augusta, Adriana Marie. Augusta, Grace and Marie are family names.

I love the name Lucy and regret not using it. I also like Emiline, Tovalina and Katherine.
A son would have been Stockton, had we a son.

The best place to find good names? The oldest cemetery in town.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Emily Elizabeth? My niece's name is Emilie Elizabeth. Good name.;)

If I ever have kids, I'd love to name a daughter Aubrey Elizabeth. I think the variant Elspeth is pretty. I also think Autumn is quite a lovely name, but that would be cruel of me to name a daughter of mine that, especially with a last name of Callender. As far as "cemetery names" go, I have ancestors with some great names like Barnabas, Edward, and Silas.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
My son's name is Dashiell Raymond. Dashiell for reasons that are not at all as obvious as they would seem, and Raymond after my old man.

If we'd had a daughter she would have been called Sabine Lois. Sabine for reasons that are purely academic and Lois after my wife's grandmother.

We had a bird called Morrissey and dog called Arlo and we inherited a pair of lizards that we called Verlaine and Stockwell Day though they had previously been called Harry and Hulk; all animals now passed on and all of the last paragraph strictly and pointlessly :eek:fftopic:

:D

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My children:

William Franklin, IV (by the way, my grandson is the fifth)
James Madison (after my great, great grandfather)
Sara Katherine (after my great grandmother)
Mary Caroline (after another great grandmother)

I like family names. I feel that it gives some kind of "connection" to your past, and provides a feeling of stability. I was always very proud to have been named after my dad and my granddad.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It's almost a cliche', but I think "Chloe" is adorable.
"Charlotte" is rather nice.

For a boy, perhaps "Mason."

I had better get cracking though, I am almost 39 and I don't even have a girlfriend. :eusa_doh: :)

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
I love the name Lucy and regret not using it...

Now, Scott, think again...your most imposing daughter perhaps??

Our daughter's name is Parker Elizabeth - no family names a'tall. Sounds kind of classic to me, though.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I feel like Norma is ready for another heyday.

I never liked Elizabeth because it's just so standard... but I think I've started to appreciate just how many ways there are to shorten it. I've been Liz, Lizzy (also Lizzie and Lizzi. Stupid 1980s.), Elsbeth, Eri (when I was living in Japan. It was easy to say.), and now Betty. With the way kids will probably re-invent themselves during their lives, I think flexibility is an underrated virtue for a name.

My extended family all has the same set of surnames for middle names. I don't think anyone even knows whose names they are anymore.

BV

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Cabinetman said:
Now, Scott, think again...your most imposing daughter perhaps??

Our daughter's name is Parker Elizabeth - no family names a'tall. Sounds kind of classic to me, though.
Ha! That's how she got it. Mrs. Scotrace said "I'm gonna have a Lucy one way or another!"
But mostly Lucy is called Tubbo, or Stinky, or Lard-Butt, poor lass.

Parker Elizabeth is a very beautiful name!

Hemingway Jones said:
I had better get cracking though, I am almost 39 and I don't even have a girlfriend. :eusa_doh: :)

I wouldn't worry about it too much. My friend is 48 and his daughter is due in July. I will be 37 when my child is born in October. Nowadays, age doesn't mean much. It just means we have more knowledge to pass on. ;)
Oh, names. If its a boy: Daniel Paul. That's my father's first name and a middle name that goes to the first son in the family and has for hundreds of years now. If its a girl: Joyce Beverly Ann. After my mother. The middle name is the same. Boy we are inventive. :D

Regards to all,

J

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
jamespowers said:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. My friend is 48 and his daughter is due in July. I will be 37 when my child is born in October. Nowadays, age doesn't mean much. It just means we have more knowledge to pass on. ;)
Oh, names. If its a boy: Daniel Paul. That's my father's first name and a middle name that goes to the first son in the family and has for hundreds of years now. If its a girl: Joyce Beverly Ann. After my mother. The middle name is the same. Boy we are inventive. :D

Regards to all,

J
CONGRATULATIONS, Mr. Powers!
Will you be rolling the baby along in a vintage stroller at the QM? ;)

I think you all may be seeing my vintage personal ad going online soon!

Vanessa

One Too Many
One day, when I have children, they're going to hate me. Since I very much intend to name the girls after their great-gramma's - Elna Jean & Pauline Cecil.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I remember hating my name until I was an adult..it always sounded so formal..Caroline..now I like it cause you don't hear of the name too much.
my three girls name's are:
Shannon Elizabeth (9)
Lauren Nicole (5)
Alicia Rose (3)

RedPop4

One Too Many
Wonderful news on all that are with child at this time.

I'm a IV and Mrs RedPop4 wanted no part of #V. So we inverted the names, he's Benton Thomas James.....she's diabetic, didn't know if we'd have another or another boy, so he's named after both fathers, grandfathers, and my great.

Boy #2 is James Carroll Richard....(prounounced REE shard----long story)James for her late father, and Carroll after my Godfather, my father's uncle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy