Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

old fashioned packages

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
What products still use package design like they had in the Golden Age?
Camels and Lucky Strike cigarettes (since the "green went to war" design) are still similar to the old designs. Aside from smokes I don't find much else.
Anyone else have some ideas?

Also, I have found sites that have pdfs of military packages of WWII but how about the homefront. I would like find packaging designs of home products from the 1930s/1940s. Cereal boxes, etc.

The Wolf

Kaela

Vendor
Say, haven't you seen, milk is still sold in bottles! I see it nearly everywhere, nicer grocers stock the stuff, since I went not-so-vintagely vegan, I don't touch the stuff, but gee, isn't everything better in glass and paper!?
My hubby uses Nivea aftershave lotion, and it comes in a cute bottle that looks pretty vintage (except the cap, which is made not to look like plastic, but it is) I keep his left over bottles and put my hair products in it that don't have stylish packaging.
I clicked on this thread thinking you were mentioning mailing packages. I wanted to send something out in brown paper and twine, but the USPS no longer accepts twine as legitimate packaging! *scoff*
Setting Lotion for ladies' hair, if you can find it (usually sally's beauty) is in glass bottles still, "Sure Thing" is cute, looks like medicine bottles.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, for the heads up

There is a local joint that sells milk in glass bottles here also. Definately better looking and stronger than the plastic jugs.
I can't believe twine isn't appropriate for mailing anymore.
Thanks for the good news and bad news of modern society.
Also, welcome to the Lounge

The Wolf

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
well Royal Crown comes in a damn similar paper/metal lid packaging......if you find a good butcher you still get your meat in paper.......I'll have to think more on some others

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was in "Target" on Sunday and they have Band-aids in the original tins with the original labels. These were obviously brand new, but the company went back to their roots for their packaging. Though, I always found some irony in the Band-aid packaging: tin is sharp, so you could potential cut yourself reaching for a Band-aid.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Twine and Old Spice... the mark of a Mailman...

I've received parcels from the US via USPS with twine around them and thought that it was funny that it was still being used... Strange...

Old Spice- I like it and it's cheap. The bottle is at least the same as in the'60s but the pronting has been slightly updated, although it's essentially the same.

Here's some old stuf...
http://www.timepassagesnostalgia.com/

B
T

Feraud

Bartender
Vladimir Berkov said:
How do you properly wrap a package with twine, exactly?
I assume you wrap the package with your paper then secure the paper with twine across the horizontal and vertial of the package. Secure with a bow and you are set.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Correct- loop it around, cross the 2 twines at 90 degrees and go around the other dimension, tie it off with a bow- simple and elegant and something to 'hang onto'-
-maybe brown packaging tape is safer for International shipping security though...
B
T

matei

One Too Many
Here in London we still have milkmen (!) and I've seen them deliver the milk in bottles...

I think getting a parcel wrapped in twine and heavy brown paper is the coolest thing. Sadly enough I don't often have the opportunity to send them!

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
If I remember correctly, Beeman's & Blackjack chewing gum still come in packs with the original graphics. There are other products too, Moxie soda pop comes to mind.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Pretty Big Guy, it seems like the gum packages have changed a little. Also, as much as like them they cost a lot compared to Wrigley's.

Who has tried Moxie? I can't finish a bottle of it, myself.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Mycroft

One Too Many
The Wolf said:
Pretty Big Guy, it seems like the gum packages have changed a little. Also, as much as like them they cost a lot compared to Wrigley's.

Who has tried Moxie? I can't finish a bottle of it, myself.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

As for the Moxie, go to Maine or the web, I do enjoy it when I am up in Maine. Cigarettes can come in metal tins in Paris and the UK, they were this summer. And I guess cigars still come in boxes. I also, think that it is good in a weird twisted way we are getting out of these extravigent containers, its probelly better for the enviorment, yet I still love them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot