Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On the Stahly razor

GregK

New in Town
I got one about 50 years ago and it is still working great for me. Gives a smooth shave, I use any shave cream, even soap -- especially Neutragena works well. Glad to know more about the history of the product from all your notes. :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Welcome to The Fedora Lounge GregK!

Have you ever had to replace the blade?

It also seems like you really have to get the shaving angle just right with a Stahly.

Later Edit: See follow up below. I'm a ninny.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Imadope

I read the initial post too fast. I confused it with a Rolls razor. The Stahly is a double edged safety razor with a fat handle. Inside the handle is a motor that, when the base of the handle is turned to wind it up, causes the head of the razor to vibrate. Not an unpleasant experience.

So, of COURSE the blade must be replaced. Sheesh! Disregard my previous. :(

sp29208.jpg

GregK

New in Town
Well, the angle is taken care of by the shape (normal for most razors) of the head. The vibration imparts lateral (slicing) motion to the blade, making it cut better. This makes the blade last longer, but as with any must wear out eventually. The moving blade requires less pressure to cut the beard -- let the clubhead hit the ball -- so a gentle stroke will be less apt to cut the skin on your chin.

GregK

New in Town
Thanks. Hey, neat to see the magazine ad (Field & Stream?) I probably bot mine from such an ad. Still have the pamphlet from original box -it was from Breck's of Boston. PS: Say, this Lounge site looks like a lot of fun! Take me back to the (good) old days!

jml90

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
Ah, at last something to replace my Gillette M3 Power (works great but looks and feels like a kid's toy).
Are these particularly expensive/collectible?
Function over form. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael