Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On yer bike!

Salv

One Too Many
Jeff - something else occurred to me: I think it would be useful to put a couple of small pockets at the bottom of the rear of the bag, so that when the flap is folded down for use off the bike, the hooks disappear into the pockets. Then the flap would be fully flat against the back of the bag and less likely to catch on anything.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Just my saddle bags...

carrier002.jpg

This is a British 1908 ('15) Pattern haversack that has had the back and side buckles removed. I used some straps out of my spares box to fix it to the back of the saddle. If it still had the side buckles I could attach a 08 cross strap and use it as a shoulder bag as well...
A 1937 Pattern haversack would do the job better, but I wanted something that wouldn't look out of place on a prewar bike...

carrier003.jpg

And this is my touring bag, that I picked up for a tenner at the local dump... (Even better, it was attached to a Campy Record equiped 1966 Viking Severn Valley, lady luck with me that day...;) )
Can fit loads into it, but totally useless if I wanted to use it off the bike...

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Salv said:
Lovely little films Mike - well found!

I'm trying to get a classic looking Bianchi fixie through the Cycle To Work scheme.
Y7BA5.jpg

Nice bike Salv! I hope Halfrauds can get it for you...
I looked it up the cycle to work scheme after reading your thread, can't believe I'd never heard of it before:eusa_doh:

Anyway, back to watching the Giro highlights on Eurosport...:cool:

Mike1973

A-List Customer
1930's Watsonian Sidecar...

sidecar_picnic.jpg

windsor_2004.jpg

Not brilliant pics I'm afraid. Taken on a vintage cycle rally in Windsor great Park a few years ago.
I bought it through ebay, but it only happened to be a couple of miles down the road! It needed renovating, I stripped the chassis down and gave it a new coat of black enamel, then took the black paint of the aluminium body and polished it, new screens, new tyre and inner tube... nothing major though.
Unfortunatley, and it hurts me to type this, this was the only time I have used it :( Both my boys are probably too big for it now...
As much as I love it, there is just no way I would use it on todays roads...:rage:
It has been sitting up in the rafters of my garage for years now...:eusa_doh:

(The Windsor Great Park rally is actually for pre-1919 bikes... our '30's get up was considered 'modern'!!;) )

Speedster

Practically Family
WOW, that's cool Mike

Mike1973 said:
sidecar_picnic.jpg

windsor_2004.jpg

Not brilliant pics I'm afraid. Taken on a vintage cycle rally in Windsor great Park a few years ago.
I bought it through ebay, but it only happened to be a couple of miles down the road! It needed renovating, I stripped the chassis down and gave it a new coat of black enamel, then took the black paint of the aluminium body and polished it, new screens, new tyre and inner tube... nothing major though.
Unfortunatley, and it hurts me to type this, this was the only time I have used it :( Both my boys are probably too big for it now...
As much as I love it, there is just no way I would use it on todays roads...:rage:
It has been sitting up in the rafters of my garage for years now...:eusa_doh:

(The Windsor Great Park rally is actually for pre-1919 bikes... our '30's get up was considered 'modern'!!;) )

Mike, that's the coolest accessory i have ever seen on/to a bike. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I was out in my '44 Willys MB a few weeks ago, and happened to go down a road where someone was cleaning out their garage. I noticed a bike, and as I passed slowly, read the name "Dunelt" on the frame. I backed up, stopped, and quickly threw it in the back of the jeep. The bike had obviously been in that garage, out of the weather for many years, as it was in quite good shape (although the tires are probably long gone). I gave it a quick cleanup, and was impressed by the quality "Made in England" finish-lots of deep, thick chrome,and ornate badges everywhere. Sooner or later, I will put a lot more elbow grease into it,but for now, it has to take a back seat to other projects. Oddly enough, this is the third British bike I have rescued from the garbage collector-one was a "Triumph", which I traded for something, and the other was a "Robin Hood",which is still hanging in my barn,waiting until I can turn my attention to it also. This is one of the advantages/problems with owning a pickup truck-I am always heaving stuff like this into the back to take home and shove in my barn.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I feel abit of a party crasher right now...

Because although I am a keen cyclist, I don't have all the great vintage gear and accessories that you fine folk are displaying. I'm just oggling at all the wonderful photos right now!!

I particularily like the 'side car' for the bike!!! I could really see myself using something like that with my dogs (in leather Battle of Britain flying helmets and goggles of course), just like a scene from 'Wallace & Gromitt!' It would actually be very useful.

Just to prove that I do use a bike!! (this is taken around the Howgill Fells between Sedbergh and Kirkby Stephen (God's own country guys!! They even call it "The Eden Valley!").
Having just returned from Flanders a few weeks ago, I really NEED to get back to do some cycling there. If God created a country for cycling, then that is 'one' of them! trust me.

Bowber015.jpg

I really love Westmoreland/Cumbria. I can't see myself getting there any time soon, though. You make me homesick, Paddy - that photo looks so much like some parts the Cheviots, though obviously a bit bigger - there ain't much that makes me homesick other than the hills. Many's a day i spent as a youngster alone in the countryside with my bicycle.

bk

Salv

One Too Many
PADDY said:

Just to prove that I do use a bike!! (this is taken around the Howgill Fells between Sedbergh and Kirkby Stephen (God's own country guys!! They even call it "The Eden Valley!").
Having just returned from Flanders a few weeks ago, I really NEED to get back to do some cycling there. If God created a country for cycling, then that is 'one' of them! trust me.

I love that area too - I once spent a long weekend with my cousin cycling around Cumbria, staying at Youth Hostels. We drove up with touring and racing bikes, left the car in Ambleside, with the racing bikes locked in the car, and rode between hostels over some brutal climbs, including Kirkstone Pass. We timed the trip to coincide with a couple of time trials - 10 and 25 miles - based on the A66 near Cockermouth, and I rode them both while my cousin just rode the 10-mile. Fantastic time.

And Flanders is renowned for the cycling hardmen it produces. There's an annual Tour of Flanders/Ronde van Vlaanderen that is one of the toughest one-day races in the pro calendar. The course winds around the region, taking in as many of the short, steep, cobbled climbs as it can fit in. Imagine riding up this, never mind racing up it:
photo14.jpg

Salv

One Too Many
Speaking of bike races...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sWnff376PEI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sWnff376PEI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:
Because although I am a keen cyclist, I don't have all the great vintage gear and accessories that you fine folk are displaying. I'm just oggling at all the wonderful photos right now!!

I particularily like the 'side car' for the bike!!! I could really see myself using something like that with my dogs (in leather Battle of Britain flying helmets and goggles of course), just like a scene from 'Wallace & Gromitt!' It would actually be very useful.

Bowber015.jpg

Wow - with country-side like that I'd ride a bike too.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Salv said:
Speaking of bike races...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sWnff376PEI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sWnff376PEI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

CRAZY:eek:

But it sure looks like fun lol

Mike1973

A-List Customer
LeTour

Talking of races, anybody going to watch the Tour when it comes to London and Kent? I'm going to do my best to try and see some of the stage from London to Canterbury, my folks live in Hever which isn't far from the route...

I remember seeing it last time it came to the UK, (1991??) they rode right past our farm :cool:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A 'Tour de France' tip for UK amateur cyclists!!

As you know the first leg is in Britain.

Well, saw in 'The Guardian' newspaper that for the week, the Dover to Calais ferries are offering FREE travel across for any cyclist with a bike (to encourage more Brit cyclists across and visit Normandie, Pad de Calais..etc.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I've not posted before, but have lurked in the shadows off and on for a bit. This cycling post got my attention as I recently participated in the Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tour. The tour recreates British bicycle touring in the inter-war years. If you scroll down the menu on the web site and click on "photos from the attic" you will see pictures of this year and prior year's tours. This was my first year riding and it will not be my last as I had a wonderful time.

My own photos, in reverse chronological order, are here. I am in the process of working out a trade for a proper Carradice saddle bag rather than the crappy nylon panniers I used this year.

Here's me ready to leave from home.
3speedtour20070519002.jpg

Here are a few other websites I'll pass along as some of you may enjoy these as well.

If you like to ski on wood cross country skis:
http://www.woodenskis.com/ I was going to ski in the rendevous in Duluth, MN this past winter but a busy life got in the way of fun.

If you like to camp and are interested in vintage camp stoves this is the best web site anywhere:
http://www.spiritburner.com/

If you like vintage backpacking equipment, this site is great:
http://www.oregonphotos.com/Backpacking-Revolution1.html I've been helping Bruce, the site owner, with the content for a couple of years. I collect vintage gear and catalogs and magazines and the like.

I guess that's enough rambling for a first post. Some day I'll get a picture posted of me in my fedora as an avatar.

Best regards,
Alan

Salv

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge Alan - nice looking bike, and the tour sounds like a good ride out. Carradice still make excellent stuff - I've been considering their Barley Saddlebag or the Courier bag
barley.jpg
courier-bag.jpg

to use on my commute on the Bianchi Pista I mentioned upthread a while ago (if the thing ever arrives - it should be ready for collection tomorrow...)

For the racing boys, and Coppi fans, the postman delivered a new repro of one of these today:
JERSEY-pellegrino2.jpg

I got it from Vintage Velos, details here. The new ones don't have the chest pockets, but they do have that wonderful chain stitching for all the lettering.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great little vintage cycle racing site Salv..!!

VERY nice stuff. Love all the Italian kit!! I currently have a mountain bike with sliks on for road work. I know I'm making work for myself (one way to get fit eh!!), but whenever I'm doing my road work, all the 'racing snakes' in their branded kit whizzzzz by.

I'm peddling away in an old holey pair of Ron Hills and a knackered Helly Hansen top [huh] (I know, not exactly Mr Head-Turner!! but its functional).

I am humming & haa'ing over getting a basic entry racer...we'll see..[huh]

(lovely little thread this BTW :) and all the web links are very useful).

biikes001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21