Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On yer bike!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It's a beauty. Just in from a 25 miler and feel fine for it. It's a surprisingly comfy ride, even with the hard leather saddle. A few rattles from the chain guard cage (which totally encloses the chain and keeps it oiled), as I did take some 'rough' tracks as well as tarmac roads.
I saw other cyclists out today and popped into a nice little country Tea Shop to refuel, but I don't think folk realise it's a bike from around 1936, rather than a 21st Century bicycle (the average Joe just hasn't a clue on these things).
I guess it's 'great' condition just makes people 'think' it's a modern bike and with the roadster handlebars and the natty 'racing green' livery, it does look quite sporty and contemporary.
I 'love' it and the fact that the 'old girl' is a pensioner and still running strong gives me an extra buzz..!

Aviator

Familiar Face
Wow, that Triumph is a stunner! Love the color, and it looks to be in great shape.

Though not period correct, I love the look and sound of the Crane Suzu brass bell.

Ihd5b2WrQoAqRNgVUh7j35vfUJKh7Pj88CZJJgI8ZWvo2Eqzgr6lNmxA45q4LP9KxXmMZXwagMQb_rUp36Svp0IcjD9sj-KcrRCVxl8OpORmsVGrN0qQJtmfKy2OYuX2-AL6WUf5_PxoOkJOawViK5QNF_NMWwrYfRWqwrtuQA

Edit: I recommend looking at the Classic & Vintage forum on BikeForums.net, as well as the Gentleman Cyclist Google group, and check out numerous pics from the annual Lake Pepin 3 speed tour (I think the site is http://www.3speedtour.com, but it has been down today); you will see lot's of different gear as cyclists do a leisurely tour on their 3 speeds, and there are some FL'ers that do the tour annually.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
It's a beauty. Just in from a 25 miler and feel fine for it. It's a surprisingly comfy ride, even with the hard leather saddle. A few rattles from the chain guard cage (which totally encloses the chain and keeps it oiled), as I did take some 'rough' tracks as well as tarmac roads.
I saw other cyclists out today and popped into a nice little country Tea Shop to refuel, but I don't think folk realise it's a bike from around 1936, rather than a 21st Century bicycle (the average Joe just hasn't a clue on these things).
I guess it's 'great' condition just makes people 'think' it's a modern bike and with the roadster handlebars and the natty 'racing green' livery, it does look quite sporty and contemporary.
I 'love' it and the fact that the 'old girl' is a pensioner and still running strong gives me an extra buzz..!

I don't have a bike here in London at present (though I am looking at the possibility soon as I get my flat properly cleared out). I did, however, a few weeks ago have the opportunity to try a run on a contemporary Pashley (in the vintage style, of course). Beautiful bike to ride. They do have a number of concessions to modernity - after all, they are an old-school bike that is still in production, rather than a reproduction of a vintage bike - such as a plastic chain guard, cable brakes, and so on. Those Brookes leather saddles are beauties, though: I agree with you that they are extremely comfortable. I put it down to them being sprung, myself - that's not something you see much on modern bikes, but it really makes all the difference.

Regarding people not noticing your bike is vintage, I'd say that's a combination of it being in such good condition and the fact that vintage-style bikes have become so popular in recent years.

Edward

Bartender

I don't have a bike here in London at present (though I am looking at the possibility soon as I get my flat properly cleared out). I did, however, a few weeks ago have the opportunity to try a run on a contemporary Pashley (in the vintage style, of course). Beautiful bike to ride. They do have a number of concessions to modernity - after all, they are an old-school bike that is still in production, rather than a reproduction of a vintage bike - such as a plastic chain guard, cable brakes, and so on. Those Brookes leather saddles are beauties, though: I agree with you that they are extremely comfortable. I put it down to them being sprung, myself - that's not something you see much on modern bikes, but it really makes all the difference.

Regarding people not noticing your bike is vintage, I'd say that's a combination of it being in such good condition and the fact that vintage-style bikes have become so popular in recent years. With so many Pashleys and the lies about now, people could easily mistake yours for modern production, especialy if they don't notice the tell-tale signs like old logos, rod brakes, and so on.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Here's my 1932 Raleigh 'light sports' with dropped handlebars and rods brakes, it looks faster than it is! and it aint light but I love it!
I am also in the VCC and can't recommend them enough though I haven't managed to get on any rides for a while.
2ymd55t.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I need to get a bell like "that!" and 'those' dropped handlebars are just the dog's b*llocks!! I'm actually always suprised going down a hill or on the flat, just how nippy these can be in high gear (well until the Carbon Fibre Boardman & Armstrong lot whizz by and leave me in a cloud of dust :) haha).

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Nice little tool bag Paddy, I have a couple similar but never seen one with a saddle makers stamp on before...I suppose when you think about it they were the obvious people to make them!
The bell on my Raleigh sounds just like the bells found on a reception desk, just one big RING! and as you spotted it is huge!

Last edited:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was actually 'gifted' the saddle bag by my 'bicycle engineer' who is in his 80's and runs a little workshop at the back of his home (Tommy's a former Royal Marine Commando from the Suez days and is as fit as a fiddle). I popped in yesterday having ridden 20 miles from work on the Triumph. He told me that he had a saddle bag that would be ideal for the Triumph.
Twenty-years-ago, an old lady in her mid 80's had just given up riding her bike. She had been riding the same bike since she was a young girl. This was her daily saddle bag that she got when she originally bought the bike in the 20's..!! he now wanted it to go to a good home and gave it to me. I'm so chuffed and honoured by it.
I contacted Brooks Saddles about my Lycett saddle and they confirmed that they bought the Lycett company over in the mid 20's. So my saddle could be as old as the 20's..!!! hard to believe actually.

Aviator

Familiar Face
Wow, amazing bag and story. I'll bet Tommy was happy to hear that the Triumph is being ridden and bringing someone joy, as it was meant to be.

Great pics, as always, and thanks for sharing.

Aviator

Familiar Face
Here's my 1932 Raleigh 'light sports' with dropped handlebars and rods brakes, it looks faster than it is! and it aint light but I love it!
I am also in the VCC and can't recommend them enough though I haven't managed to get on any rides for a while.
2ymd55t.jpg
That is beautiful-looks to be in extraordinary shape. I have never seen a rod brake bike with the dropped handlebars...would you mind sharing more pics?

Last edited:

Aviator

Familiar Face
Wow. I've seen a few Golden Arrows from that time period, but they didn't have rod brakes, and none were in that shape.
In the US it is much tougher to find older Ralieghs, Rudges, Humbers, and the like and the price is always high; I look on eBay in the UK and they are much more common (color me jealous).
Thanks so much for showing your beautiful bike off.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Up until a very few years ago you could pick up rod braked and cable braked 3 speeds for about £10-£25 in fact you couldn't give ladies models away! Now with the 'fixie' and retro cycling craze prices have risen somewhat but you can still find bargains occassionaly...this one cost me £60 IIRC!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Loving those brakes!! (sad...I know!!). Actually Ladies' vintage bikes still seem to generally be coming in 'cheaper' and to be honest, I'd have no hang-ups about riding a ladies' bicycle.

Have just got myself a bell..!! not an original vintage, but looks the biz, just like an old 'King of the Road.' (Tommy to my rescue again)...

"O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play."

(And it is a BIG THANKYOU Mister Atkins for ALL the bicycle help to date!).

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just admiring the chrome work on the handlebars too. Are those replacement bars, or the originals, as the chrome 'seems' to be exceptional (mine has the usual pitting and bits of rust, although some work with 'ye olde oily rag' has brought it up fairly well).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner