Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One of the finest hats I've ever owned!

havershaw

Practically Family
I just got a vintage Resistol in the mail today. I got with a BIN on eBay that was ridiculously low, so I was not prepared for what I was to receive.

First, the box is maybe the nicest hat box I've got. Two leather straps: one across the top, another on the side for easy carrying. Good inserts inside to keep the hat from hurting itself.
f1e33dea.jpg

It turned out to be a Resistol Fifteen, and the felt on it is absolutely gorgeous. A completely different finish that anything I'm used to - almost like velour or velvet (it's possible that I don't know the difference), but obviously fur felt. Not as furry as Matt Deckard's famous fuzzy hat in any way, but definitely different than any hat I've owned. The felt is so supple, I can't believe it. Taking pictures indoors, at night, with a flash, is kind of a drag, so I'll take some new ones tomorrow by daylight so you can more accuratly see the color and texture of the hat - but this lid is so great, I can't wait until tomorrow to show you a little:
f1e33df3.jpg

f1e33df0.jpg

f1e33df8.jpg

f1e33df2.jpg

f1e33de7.jpg

f1e33de5.jpg

f1e33de2.jpg

I kind of mutated the color in these photos to more accureatly represent the color of the hat...you'll have to see it in daylight, though. man, what a hat!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
She's a beauty, (well I guess it's a she), anyway I love the surprises you get in buying a vintage fedora. That one likes like a new old stock. Maybe you could do a close up of the felt for us, it does look like it was finished different.

You always find the good ones Bob, but say, aren't you supposed to be cleaning out your stock??? Does the wife know about this one or did you beat her to the post office?

fedoralover

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Mmmmmmm Vintage.

They just don't and so far can't make them like they used to. Every vintage hat I have I traet like a daily as I know they can take the punnishement of the elements and are less likely to taper and droop. I always start out gingerly with the modern hats then they taper then I get them reblocked, then they taper again.

Make mine vintage.

Beautiful fedora.

havershaw

Practically Family
OK, daylight photos (what a difference it makes!):

f1e0f4cd.jpg

f1e0f4be.jpg

f1e0f4c5.jpg

I tried to get a closeup of the felt for Matt Deckard, but I'm not sure I was successful:
f1e0f4b3.jpg
f1e0f4b5.jpg

but I think you can see the general texture of the felt in the other pictures anyway.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Looks exactly like the velour-like finish on my pure beaver Toffee Optimo. I bet it feels like velvet.

Sweet hat, Bob!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Resistol had a patent on what they called a "kitten finish" . Your hat from the pictures seems to be one . They made good hats. Todays Stetson hats are made in the factory that started out as the Resistol plant in Garland TX.
Enjoy!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff