Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Crown Stetsons: A Call (Plea) to Retailers!!

fedoracentric

Banned
Agree with all of the above, tommyK. I've had the same experience with the two Premiere Stratoliners I bought. As Alan said and you reiterated, the "recipe" has been lost. All those skills and manufacturing processes developed and refined over several centuries and handed down through generations of craftsmen went away almost overnight. Hatco may have the blocks, flanges and die stamps that Stetson used, but the techniques and quality control, from the type and origin of the fur all the way through the final manufacturing processes, can't compare to those of just sixty years ago.

It simply isn't financially logical to try and recreate the "old days" felt quality. Not enough hats get sold to put that much time and effort into the felt. It's just a sad but hard fact.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I have been informed that the Boss raw edge will be available next year for the 150!Aniv. Black and Ranch tan. We have premier Statoliners in Silverbelly in stock. I also have pics to post of some new open crowns for next year .

Jeff

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I have been informed that the Boss raw edge will be available next year for the 150!Aniv. Black and Ranch tan. We have premier Statoliners in Silverbelly in stock. I also have pics to post of some new open crowns for next year .

Jeff

Can you post a pic of the silver belly Premier Stratoliner? I have the previous version and I'm eager to see what difference, if any, there is.

Thanks

Tom

tommyK

One Too Many
tumblr_nc5w7wBCg01r91qw7o1_500.jpg
This looks good too. I've seen so many of these in antique shops but they are never my size.

tommyK

One Too Many
I think that may be an old hat they are trying to match. There's an unfinished felt hat body under it. or maybe they're going to get into the Nick Fouquet style distressing. Seeing that there seems to be such high prices for artificially filthy hats.

Asmo

One of the Regulars

Jeff

I'm excited to see more open crowns!

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Has anyone yet had a chance to compare the Premier Stratoliner in silver belly to the non-premier version? I'm wondering about the color and whether it is different enough to merit buying, as I already have the previous version in silver belly, and if the color is mostly the same, then there's no utility for me to buying the Premier.

Tom

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I handled one at Brass Rooster but didn't pay that close attention to it. It was a lot lighter and it felt a lot less stiff. There was some pink to it. They had it creased in a cattleman (it was a display model) but I didn't mess with it much, if at all. I should head back and look at it more closely.

Tom

frussell

One Too Many
I'm interested in this as well, the OR re-issue. I had to cancel my order for a black Stratoliner, due to a misunderstanding with the vendor, so I still have the "new hat itch." Plus, the OR has always been my favorite Stetson, but the newer ones are too low-crowned and stiff. Not easy to find a vintage one in 7 7/8. Frank

DougC

Practically Family
I may go by the local hatter (Paris Hatters, San Antonio, Texas) and see if they are ordering an open crown open road. If so--I'll be HAPPY!

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Sorry I did not get back to you all. The Premier Open Road is the same felt as the Premier Sratoliner. It will have the same crown height of 5 1/2". The brim is 2 3/4 bound edge.

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran