Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opera, anyone?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I've seen is 'Madame Butterfly' which I've seen quite a few times. I adored it the first time I saw it as a child. Unfortunately, the few I"ve seen have been on the television :( I would absolutely LOVE to see one...I truly think it would be such a treat!
Now ballet's (though I don't think this is what you were asking), I've seen quite a few. Love them.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I usually have a subscription to the LA Opera (except this year), and sometimes attend shows at other venues.

I tend to prefer the more traditional operas. Sure it's nice to see an atonal opera with post-modern costumes and sets once in while, if you sit in the front of the mezzanine so you can't see everyone walking out behind you. Then you can't remember any of the songs.

The new trend of minimal costumes/staging so you can concentrate on the music is hogwash, I need the costumes to divert my attention from the boring recitations between the arias.

Or maybe I've just seen some pretty horrible productions.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
"What's opera, doc?"

O mighty warrior of great fighting stock
Might I enquire to ask, eh, what's up doc??
I'm going to kill the wabbit!!
Oh mighty hunter t'will be quite a task
How will you do it, might I enquire to ask??
I will do it with my spear and magic helmet!
opera_.jpg

S

Samsa

I just watched Dvorak's "Rusalka" on DVD today, and as always was captivated by Renee Fleming.

Nashoba

One Too Many
I grew up on Opera. When I was doing musical theater I delved into opera for a bit. I still love it but don't listen to it as often as I used to.
The absolute worst I ever saw was 'Of Mice and Men' yes you read that correctly. And it was really terrible. Actually we left at intermission it was so bad. Unfortunately it happened to be my husband's first opera experience and I havn't been able to convince him to attend another since.

S

Samsa

Diamondback said:
Not a fan, but not a hater either--if I can avoid attending one with really high notes, or have some kind of ear protection available (I'm dreadfully sensitive to high-pitched noises), I could probably learn to appreciate it.

My Jack Russel Terrier was in the room as I was watching it, and I got the impression that he was NOT happy with Ms. Fleming's vocal range. For a few minutes during one of her scenes he had his head perched atop the arm of our couch, his ears perked up, and was looking at the TV. Probably wondering what on earth that "noise" was.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I grew up on opera also. My family had seats in the Family Circle at the Met from 1904 thru 1954, and we have over 270 programs from that era. We moved to Chautauqua NY, which has the third oldest opera company in the country (after the Met and Cincinnati), dating from 1929.
This year I went to Turandot at the Met, tho we sat in the Family Circle again, and were so high we couldn't see the back of the set! But it was glorious anyway.
My girlfriend has played cello for the NY Gilbert and Sullivan Players for 24 years, so I've been getting major doses of G&S for the last few years.
Three years ago I was lucky enough to see 2 productions at the Munich Opera (Strauss's Arabela and Mozart's Abduction from the Seraglio) and Don Carlo in ZAGREB. Zagreb Opera House is an 1894 confection. A throwback to the Hapsburg Empire, holding only 840 people. A really special and highly recommended treat.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I love opera, particularly Italian. I've been to the Met in New York City many times.

The first time I saw La Boheme live I was in tears at intermission, but not at the end--I don't think Rodolfo deserved Mimi. He has a coat, why isn't he selling it (I know it's because they need a solo for the bass, but still)! Perhaps I'd feel differently if I saw a different singer as Rodolfo.

My favorite opera is Tosca--a good strong heroine, that love to hate him villian Scarpia (one of my all time favorite lyrics; "Tosca, you make me forget God!"), lovely arias for Cavaradossi (Qual occhio al mondo, E lucevan le stelle), great dramatic ending.

I was also lucky enough to see Leontyne Price in recital when she was in her late 60s--proof of God that voice is. I can't imagine what she must have sounded like when she was younger.

I have an album of Jussi Björling singng that I've nearly worn out too.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
It's the high notes that are the "money shots" of opera.
Let me see if I can come up with any high note free operas. Tough assignment.
But you don't need to feel like there's anything wrong with you if you can't dig opera! It starts for most people early in life, before they can invoke the "That's awful!" survival response.

vonwotan

Practically Family
That is quite a challenge. One of the rare and much valued talents of the best are their vocal range and many popular operas put them to the test. Perhaps some of the older baroque operas (pre-Mozart) would fit the bill? They tended to be less challenging, they had not begun to combine voices. Gluck may fit your requirements for few high notes but, this is not opera as most modern listeners know it.

I will give this a bit more thought myself and fish through my collection a bit...

There might be another way out: some shooter's earmuffs use active noise-cancellation, and can cut out some of the upper-HF range while still allowing the wearer to hear as-normal on lower frequencies. It's quite possible that, with some judicious explaining, a pair of those and I might be "in-the-green and good-to-go" for anything up to and including a Renee Fleming performance.

How could I be so stupid as to not remember about these earlier?:eusa_doh:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Gluck is great, but most Baroque opera would put a person off for life from opera. Maybe you could bring earplugs for the high notes. The thing is, bad vocal technique will lead to painful screechy top notes. Good technique makes for a sweet sound throughout the range. So spend the money and go to a top class production. There are a few exceptions to this. Jon Vickers didn't always sound pretty, but he was certainly electrifying. Try the old warhorses like La Traviata or La Boheme. Don't tackle Wagner until you're ready, although Tannhäuser and Flying Dutchman are certainly rousing.
A light Mozart piece like Cosi fan Tutti could be fun, maybe not Magic Flute. The Chautauqua Opera Association has always done opera in English, and tho some may consider that a no-no, it makes it a lot more accessible to have a vague idea of what's actually going on on stage.
Oh, and how about Rossini! Who could not like Rossini? The Barber of Seville, William Tell (Lone Ranger theme!), etc. Rossini was known for his love of wine and women. When he got old, his doctors told him he had give one of them up. They asked him which it would be, and he said "It depends on the vintage." Ya gotta love a guy like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy