Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion wanted

Ken

A-List Customer
Hi guys. I have a coat which was bought for me when I was still attending school (and was designed to go with the school uniform) but since it was a bit big and I never grew much since then I still have it and wear it all the time.

I am intending to use it in my film in a non-gear scene and am just wondering is there anything major wrong with it that makes it look modern or anything I can do to make it more vintage looking. My general impression seems to be that overcoats haven't changed drastically in the last 80 years or so?

pier9nr.jpg

university013wf.jpg

beach011ft.jpg

Ken

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
In searching the Internet, trying to answer your question, I came across several books that might be useful. It seems that there are resources written just for performing arts and costuming professionals, which would be helpful for your film project. One such book is the "Fashion Sourcebook" series by John Peacock. There a volumes devoted to each decade from 1920-1990.

Here's a link to the 1920's edition: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s...field-author=John Peacock/102-7037665-0816157

Ken

A-List Customer
Wonderful find!! thank you. I just ordered it from amazon.co.uk which was even cheaper ($12 including shipping!). This book should be ultra helpful.

Thanks

Ken :)

Ken

A-List Customer
Really I am just wanting to be sure that if people see the coat in the film its not like seeing an mp3 player or something - I dont want to look anachronistic.

Ken

I have just one more thing to add to the overcoat samples. This is from 1916.
If you want to use the overcoat for a 30s to 40s time period then I would consider adding the belt in the first previous plate to the overcoat so that it blends into the correct time period costume. The following overcoat might have had a belted back as well even though it was earlier.

Regards to all,

J

Picture052.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24