Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions for Alpha MA1's

Jägernaut

Practically Family
Anyone have any experience with these jackets as to the quality? I'm not looking for Buzz Rickson accuracy or cost. I dont want shoddy quality either. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
If you mean their current line available everywhere (vs. their occasional special versions), the quality is fine for ordinary daily use. But there's little about the fit/sizing or materials/construction that's remotely approaching the same plane as original vintage models or good repros.

I've been wearing one as one of my main winter jackets for the last several years, and it's held up fine, and it's plenty warm over a good sweater. Alpha MA-1s are certainly better than the cheap Rothco knockoffs. Just don't kid yourself that they're anything other than modern mass-market garments.

Picture... Yes, I know this one is actually a size larger than I need. I specifically wanted it big for layering and extra body length. Don't hate me 'cause I went for wintertime practicality over "original close-fitting sizing".

MA1a.13.jpg

Last edited:
Some makers now have a "slim" fit model, which I prefer. It depends on your build and the look you want.
I do know that most of these cheaper ones are made in China, if that matters to you. I'd rather try to find one made in the USA - either a vintage jacket, or perhaps Cockpit makes them here still?

devilish

A-List Customer
If you search eBay you can often find NOS Made in America Alphas. They cost about the same as Alpha charges for the Made in China ones they now sell. Fairly similar to the last of the military contract versions they made. They are short and wide so finding the right fit is a little tricky but this is true of vintage service issued MA-1's also.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I started wearing Alpha MA-1 in the early/mid 90's. Back at the time I had a navy one (made in the US). My latest Alpha MA-1 is a sage one bought in 2012. Nowadays it is made in China, no big difference in quality, maybe some loose threads extra but nothing serious. For the price they are totally recommended. Get a normal MA-1, I know that nowadays Alpha is sort of a fashion brand with many different versions (slim fit, vf59, etc) which I personally find totally crap design-wise and quality-wise. These models are totally addressed to the fashion guys who every year change their style according to what the web says.
Hopefully this trend that all these people wear crappy versions of MA-1's will soon die away.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My understanding is that Alpha still makes a small quantity of the MA1, N-2B and N-3B in the States at least the sage green color (seen new made in US stock coming into the local dealer the past few seasons). The current MA1 is thinner, lighter weight (still as warm though) than those made before the 90s due to the use of new synthetic linings.

There have been vintage dead-stock MA-1's on eBay this year. I think I saw some Spiewak as well which I liked and were cheap, USA made.
As to @Harris HTM comment on the designer thing, in some ways I agree, but I also do NOT want a big, puffy 90's Dad jacket any more. If the MA-1 fits you, that's great. If you like that balloon look, great. I just don't any more...

Harris HTM

One Too Many
There have been vintage dead-stock MA-1's on eBay this year. I think I saw some Spiewak as well which I liked and were cheap, USA made.
As to @Harris HTM comment on the designer thing, in some ways I agree, but I also do NOT want a big, puffy 90's Dad jacket any more. If the MA-1 fits you, that's great. If you like that balloon look, great. I just don't any more...

hmmm, personally my ma-1 fits me fine, no michelin guy look. I'll try to post some photos asap - if I remember!

hmmm, personally my ma-1 fits me fine, no michelin guy look. I'll try to post some photos asap - if I remember!
It all depends on the make/era and you. I see some people look great in them, others look well, not ;)
Numbers for them are all over the place. Only thing that kept me from buying one of those Deadstock Spiewaks...

bn1966

Numbers all over the place for sure...some USA made jackets I found too snug in XL & some enormous!!! Chinese I found too long; 'Vintage' series is my best fit but textiles aren't on a par with 'Replica' series jackets (over cut). Thinking of trying Cockpit USA made MA-1 next (sage, short & Boxy). Saw a lovely Real Mccoy MA-1 yesterday....but at £1100.00 it was too rich for my blood :)

Edward

Bartender
Some makers now have a "slim" fit model, which I prefer. It depends on your build and the look you want.
I do know that most of these cheaper ones are made in China, if that matters to you. I'd rather try to find one made in the USA - either a vintage jacket, or perhaps Cockpit makes them here still?

Cockpit seem to do both - I was looking at their website last week, and they have clearly labelled Made in US items and "Import" models (always amuses me - I'm in Europe, US or China, they're all imports to me! ;) ).

I've been keeping an eye out for a nice MA1 for a long time. If ever I found the right deal, Buzz Rickson seem to be the best option combining VFM and original spec details, in particular the green lining of the first of the MA1 model, and the wool/cotton spec interlining. If you're not looking for that particularly early spec, though, the Cockpit Authentic MA1 model looks like the best bang for buck - orange lining (1962? onwards), same slash (no flap) handwarmer pockets as the B15 and so on. If and when the pound ever recovers against the US dollar and I hit NYC, that's the model I have my eye on.

Of course, in my experience the modern Alpha stuff is pretty decent. Having owned Replica and Vintage series Alphas and compared them to the Chinese stuff, I would say that the difference isn't so much quality - the current sutff is pretty good, really - more just that you have to put more effort into the sizing, and the spec isn't so great if you want an earlier verison. If I was after a decent MA1 of the type work by Macqueen in The Hunter and prepared to compromise on the stitching lines shape on the windflap, a current Alpha would be where I'd start.

I started wearing Alpha MA-1 in the early/mid 90's. Back at the time I had a navy one (made in the US). My latest Alpha MA-1 is a sage one bought in 2012. Nowadays it is made in China, no big difference in quality, maybe some loose threads extra but nothing serious. For the price they are totally recommended. Get a normal MA-1, I know that nowadays Alpha is sort of a fashion brand with many different versions (slim fit, vf59, etc) which I personally find totally crap design-wise and quality-wise. These models are totally addressed to the fashion guys who every year change their style according to what the web says.
Hopefully this trend that all these people wear crappy versions of MA-1's will soon die away.

The VF59 looked nice to me - nice fit - until I discovered they'd messed around with the design, and changed the internal pocket configuration.

Such a shame that with the fashionability of the MA1 in recent years, there's not been a demand for the more historically accurate versions.

Numbers all over the place for sure...some USA made jackets I found too snug in XL & some enormous!!! Chinese I found too long; 'Vintage' series is my best fit but textiles aren't on a par with 'Replica' series jackets (over cut). Thinking of trying Cockpit USA made MA-1 next (sage, short & Boxy). Saw a lovely Real Mccoy MA-1 yesterday....but at £1100.00 it was too rich for my blood :)

Yeah, even Buzz money starts to feel like a warped joke sometimes when it is, ultimately, just a nylon windbreaker....

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I find I struggle to wear these even though I like them. I am tall with a number 3 buzz cut. I always look like security or a skinhead in these. I have a black Alpha and it is well made and strong. It is certainly significantly better quality than anything from a department store or mall.

I am very curious to see how they might compare to the Cockpit version in terms of nylons quality and build.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
The VF59 looked nice to me - nice fit - until I discovered they'd messed around with the design, and changed the internal pocket configuration.

Such a shame that with the fashionability of the MA1 in recent years, there's not been a demand for the more historically accurate versions.

Exactly. The vf and slim fit versions are 100% fashion items, based on a ma-1.
The standard alpha ma-1, though probably not 100% historically accurate, is a different story.
I was also looking for a historically accurate version that does not cost 1000e.

I find I struggle to wear these even though I like them. I am tall with a number 3 buzz cut. I always look like security or a skinhead in these. I have a black Alpha and it is well made and strong. It is certainly significantly better quality than anything from a department store or mall.

I am very curious to see how they might compare to the Cockpit version in terms of nylons quality and build.

If anyone owns both alpha and cockpit then please let us know, I also find it a cool alternative.
I used to have (really) long hair till I grew bald, now I shave my head. I also love Fred Perrys and Ben Shermans. Having a beard and wearing a paper-boy tweed cap helps not getting identified as a nazi - though historically skinheads had nothing to do with nazism and racism.

To the OP: I'll try to post some photo's of my alpha ma-1 (standard series, no vintage or anything) asap. It is a totally recommended jacket and quite versatile.

Edward

Bartender
I find I struggle to wear these even though I like them. I am tall with a number 3 buzz cut. I always look like security or a skinhead in these.

I hear you on that. I'm a stocky guy at 5'10", and I've been shaving my head completely for well over a decade. I don't dress skinhead other than my B15C-Mod or a few Harringtons, but I have been taken for one on one occasion (and played a zonmbie skinhead in a low-budget film on another....). Wouldn't want to give off a nazi-skin vibe. As the hsaved head thing becomes much more normalised in wider UK society, though, things are slowly changing. I'll give it a go eventually, though it's certainly true I'd be more careful where I wore a green one than my navy, or even a black.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I hear you on that. I'm a stocky guy at 5'10", and I've been shaving my head completely for well over a decade. I don't dress skinhead other than my B15C-Mod or a few Harringtons, but I have been taken for one on one occasion (and played a zonmbie skinhead in a low-budget film on another....). Wouldn't want to give off a nazi-skin vibe. As the hsaved head thing becomes much more normalised in wider UK society, though, things are slowly changing. I'll give it a go eventually, though it's certainly true I'd be more careful where I wore a green one than my navy, or even a black.

Yep, I have a sage green one. Sometimes when I'm wearing it with tight jeans and boots or when I trim my beard too short I get scared by what I'm seeing on the mirror.

bn1966

Swapped out my Fred Perrys for SJC 30's Polo shirts, Docs for Sanders Brogue Boots, shaved head covered with a Stetson Cap, some facial hair too helps to get away from the SkinHead thing.

TBH there are so many Green MA-1 type jackets about here now (recent youth fad) that I'm more likely to get mistaken for'mutton dressed as Lamb' than a Skinhead in the historical sense of the word.

I'm after a sage green MA-1 at present with orange lining and earlier version 'slash' pockets...Buzz cut theirs long in my size (46/48)..Alpha 'Vintage' are the wrong year (too early) and a darker green. Cockpit sound good (USA made version)..reviews are suggesting they size up a bit snug. Would love to get the measurements for an XL.

Anyone know of any other maker options?? I've been down the original route but dislike the interlining weight..could do with a warm light weight foil to supplement my service issue
L-2B :)

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Swapped out my Fred Perrys for SJC 30's Polo shirts, Docs for Sanders Brogue Boots, shaved head covered with a Stetson Cap, some facial hair too helps to get away from the SkinHead thing.

TBH there are so many Green MA-1 type jackets about here now (recent youth fad) that I'm more likely to get mistaken for'mutton dressed as Lamb' than a Skinhead in the historical sense of the word.

I'm after a sage green MA-1 at present with orange lining and earlier version 'slash' pockets...Buzz cut theirs long in my size (46/48)..Alpha 'Vintage' are the wrong year (too early) and a darker green. Cockpit sound good (USA made version)..reviews are suggesting they size up a bit snug. Would love to get the measurements for an XL.

Anyone know of any other maker options?? I've been down the original route but dislike the interlining weight..could do with a warm light weight foil to supplement my service issue

Never tried the SJC's. Still wear perry polo's, shirts, knitwear etc, though I found their quality has dropped a bit the last years. Contemporary Doc's are real crap, I have switched to Solovair and William Lennon. Harris Tweed cap.
I have never seen a Vintage series Alpha in person, it would be nice if they released them again.
I'd love a sage MA-1, slash pockets, wool knits and wool/poly insulation.

bn1966

Never tried the SJC's. Still wear perry polo's, shirts, knitwear etc, though I found their quality has dropped a bit the last years. Contemporary Doc's are real crap, I have switched to Solovair and William Lennon. Harris Tweed cap.
I have never seen a Vintage series Alpha in person, it would be nice if they released them again.

Alpha Replica series covered the sage, slash pockets & wool / poly interlining. Top quality but cut BIG...sold one a couple of months ago (see pic) as too big and heavy..they come up on eBay from time to time. I've had the entire 'Vintage' series Alpha collection but have only kept a B-15D...colors are 'OFF' compared to originals.

MAAAAA.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Yep, I have a sage green one. Sometimes when I'm wearing it with tight jeans and boots or when I trim my beard too short I get scared by what I'm seeing on the mirror.

Isn't it funny how it;'s the Nazi skin stereotype that has stuck in the mind? There's one guy in my local area I see in the supermarket a lot. Too young to be an original older Skin, but at a guess I'd say he was twelve in 82. He could be a southern version of Sean from This is England. Does the full look - MA1, shaved head, tall DMs, bleached denim. He's also clearly Mixed Race / BME, so highly unlikely to be a Nazi.... Such a shame the look has those racist connotations in the popular mind, because it's such a sharp one. Quite possibly one of the last truly strong, urban youth culture looks to come directly from British streets?

Ha, ain;'t that true!

From what I can find digging around, outside of the cockpit Authentic, your only option would be one of the Japanese options...

I kinda like the Alpha one with the blood chit in it (just the standard Ma1 with that extra detail), but it is a much later version with the pocket flaps. If memory serves, when I looked into it I dated it to about a 1972 spec.

The problem with Docs was that, as ever, the market demanded they keep the price down. The only way they are able to sell a pair of eight hole docs now in 2017 for the same price as I paid in 1993 - £49 - is by moving production to China (where relative economics mean even a good wage will be a fraction of what would be even a minimium wage in England) to cut labour costs, and considerably cutting the quality of materials. The higher end stuff is still good - the made in England stuff. Nothing to do with it being made in England alone (the Chinese can make stuff just as well given the budget and the spec), but it's a deliberately higher-end product with significantly better components. My main issue with Dcos is I went off the airwear sole, which is, well...... do they even do anything without it? William Lennon is more my aesthetic now. Solovair are, of course, an ideal alternative to Docs, having made them for so long (I'm not sure if they still do - I have heard it said none of the MiE Docs are made by Solovair now, but I can't confirm that).

The Vintage Series alphas were nice, but the Replica series were nicer again. I doubt we'll see them in production again unless a major Hollywood (or Netflix, or Amazon Prime....) release comes along with a hero MA1 in the mould of the Indy jacket....

Alpha Replica series covered the sage, slash pockets & wool / poly interlining. Top quality but cut BIG...sold one a couple of months ago (see pic) as too big and heavy..they come up on eBay from time to time. I've had the entire 'Vintage' series Alpha collection but have only kept a B-15D...colors are 'OFF' compared to originals.

View attachment 74179

As best as I can make out, the Vintage jackets were supposed to roughly represent the colour of an issued nylon jacket that had been faded by exposure to the Sun. Not the most convincing, but there we are.

I wish they'd bring back the Replica Series: I bought a NOS B15C from that range aboutten years ago, and it's a fantastic jacket. Not quite as good as the Buzz version, but close enough once you look at the price difference. It wouldc be dead easy for Alpha to put these out again, but they probably just don't feel there's enough interest out there. Shame: I'd love a Replica series MA1, L2A, N2A & N2B..... as it is, for next Winter I'll probably buy the existing n3A model in "Replica Blue" (so, effectively an N2A), and wait for the pouint to recover before I think about a Cockpit Ma1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy