Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on Cooper A-2's?

Weston

A-List Customer
Hi all, not meaning to start a huge debate or anything-

I've been watching ebay lately, and have decided I'd like an A-2 at the best possible price. Avirex is out since it seems to be inaccurate (by a wide margin), and TFL seems to will the company harm! LOL

I've seen several Cooper A-2's in size 38 go for little on eBay-including a brand new condition one someone sniped me for by $1 ending at $51!! Grrr! But I digress. I am a 40S in suit coat, and the pics in the auction said a size 40 person was wearing thr 38 coat, and it looked great.

All said and done, any problems with it? Pluses?
My main desire is that awesome super-worn in look, with time.

Weston

A-List Customer
Thanks Bob!

I sense an A-2 schooling about to happen...LOL..what is the difference between modern style and old style? Who is the cheapest (eBay prices) of the old style makers? Thanks!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Cooper are very modern in styling and the quality of the build/materials. Big droopy shoulders, thinner leather, and so on. In fact, Avirex are probably better, particularly their older stuff. But neither is really "period accurate" to WW2. For that you need Eastman, Aero, Real McCoy, Lost Worlds.

40S could be a problem size though. Original jackets were often cut short by todays standards and I suspect an original WW2 40R would fit you, but I think most of the repros are cut a bit longer to the modern frame. But I have more knowledge of original jackets than repros, there are others on this site I'm sure can give you better advice re fit.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I like mine OK...

It has gotten a little snug...OK alot snug 'round the 'ol mid-drift...so my 16 year old daughter wears it alot. Mine is goat skin brown with wool nit cuffs and waist band. No handwarmers. I'm tall, 6'1", and the jacket is a 46 reg and it's long enough to drop an inch or two below the belt. Fit is snug even when I had a 34 inch waist (I'm really only a 36 now). And a little snug in the back and arms. Not a real loose fit, if you know what I mean. Nicely constructed too. I took a spill on my motorcycle back in the early 90s and it took the road and really did not scuff up too to badly.

So if your looking for a modern leather flight jacket I'd recommend Cooper.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I found one at Goodwill in like new condition and bought it for $20.00. It's got the one piece back and 2 piece sleeve's. Probably just like Bob's. For the money they look okay. They are far better than some of those Mall jackets that cost twice as much and have a 3 piece back and 4 piece sleeves. But if you've got a spare $800 laying around you ought to go with the big boys already mentioned, if not Cooper's can be found on ebay pretty regularly for a whole lot less.

fedoralover

bgbdesign

New in Town

The size you wear could be picked up(with search and luck) for under 400 in an original WW2 jacket. I sometimes cringe when I hear," how cheap can I get it for"? While perhaps necessary its very limiting and can get you a lot of junk.

I recently bought an after ww2 copy made by an original contract maker for around 150.

I've found in leather you tend to get what you pay for and there is simply nothing like a real WW2 flight jacket that was actually worn by a veteran of the war.also a pretty good investment!

2 cents worth
bgb

Weston

A-List Customer
Any tips for finding after war copies? Not sure what to plug in on eBay for that....you know, it's really funny for me to read all these quotes from you guys here-

"People in the thirties and forties aren't like we are today-the average man was 5'9 and 140 lbs!"

That's me! :) Cracks me up because all the "modern changes" make changes for the worse for my frame! Too bad neither of my AAF Grandfathers were able to hang on to their A-2's past the 50's, they were my size too!

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Weston bgb is right. If you're not large like I am an original can be found for cheaper than most high end repros. Its the large sizes that get the big bucks. Also a jacket with historic significance, famous squadron etc can fetch big bucks but a jacket without art and patches in your size should be inexpensive.

RMNZ and Aero jackets are both cut trim. With your body type Eastman (though I've heard they've trimmed their patterns as of late) and G&B should be avoided. Eastmans Star is a bit trimmer.

THERE NOTHIN LIKE AN ORIGINAL....

Oh one other thing I usually just type in flight jacket on e-bay and though allot of jackets come up its fun weeding thru'm. You'll get Navy jackets, repros, A-2s, cloth and nylon to weed thru.

tomfromhull

New in Town
jackets

I'm very new to this. I just pulled my father's G-1 out of the cellar 2 days ago and decided to look on the web for info. Luckily, I found this site. Can anyone tell me how you would rate the quality of US wings jackets? I like my Dads and was curious about buying another.Whats the best? And whose is the, well, least best?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Cooper is ok, but,....

Weston said:
Hi all, not meaning to start a huge debate or anything-

I've been watching ebay lately, and have decided I'd like an A-2 at the best possible price. Avirex is out since it seems to be inaccurate (by a wide margin), and TFL seems to will the company harm! LOL

I've seen several Cooper A-2's in size 38 go for little on eBay-including a brand new condition one someone sniped me for by $1 ending at $51!! Grrr! But I digress. I am a 40S in suit coat, and the pics in the auction said a size 40 person was wearing thr 38 coat, and it looked great.

All said and done, any problems with it? Pluses?
My main desire is that awesome super-worn in look, with time.
That's about it,........they're just ok. Since you don't require an overly large size, you could quite possibly pick up a nice authentic WW2 A2 jacket for a little more than what you would pay for a brand new repro. You just have to be VERY patient when it comes to those online auctions and don't try to "win"the first one that strikes your fancy. Hold out for a good deal on a jacket in good condition. Another possibility is to check your local estate sales for jackets and even other vintage artifacts. Have fun and good luck.:cheers1:

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Weston,

If I had your size I would be all over an original A2. The guys are shooting you straight on that. However, if you like the A2 look you'll probably want one you can wear without worrying about it too much, so a repro is great for that. The website Airfrog gave the link for is a great forum for flight jacket buffs and is a wonderful resource. I hang out there, too, as much as I DARE. A flight jacket "habit" can get really addictive and expensive, like any other.;)
Good luck in your quest.
--Clyde

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Weston,
Go to this site.http://www.acmedepot.com/
Lots of information on originals and reproductions to include evaluations and measurements. I found this site very useful when I got started in collecting. Coopers are ok and I got started with one. I soon found that others aero, RMNZ, Eastman had better jackets. Of course as stated originals are just great. With your size you should be able to find one. Oh BTW Buzz Rickson A2 reproductions are awesome. I own two and I have not found anything like it other than an original. In your size I know you could snag one. In fact there is one on ebay right now a Perry Sportswear reproduction. Great looking jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24