Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on this vintage leather jacket

I love it. Could be anything from a Wards, Schott or Herc. It looks fantastic, clean and well maintained. I agree with Monitor as to the value. I'd be willing to go as high as $250. That's just my experience with vintage... Vintage stuff is always a gamble. Even if it looks perfect in the pics. Seams and such can't be judged if it isn't in hand. Ultimately it's only worth what you are willing to pay.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
very nice looking but I agree with the others- always a gamble off eBay or anywhere on the net. I would go $250 to start.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
It looks great, the leather especially has such a nice color to it. Color in photos vs. color in person can be very different things, though. As others have said, buying true vintage on eBay sight unseen is a risk and a gamble. On the other hand, if it was at the $250 that others said they'd buy it at, it would have sold a long time ago, and we wouldn't be talking about it. If they offered returns, it wouldn't be such a gamble, but so few vintage sellers do because buyers can be very fickle, even when the item is described accurately.

One thing you can't tell is if the fleece lining is actually sheepskin or if it's synthetic, which would make a huge difference in the price. The description implies that it is real sheep skin though. The other thing that's hard to tell is if that wool is nice and clean, or if it's dirty. I've handled some that were actually crispy, and didn't clean up well even after I spent $$$ on a professional cleaning. I've since soured on sheep lined anything on jackets. Fur attracts dirt, is hard to clean, and that's gross.

If it hasn't sold in so long, could be the buyer would be willing to lower the price for you if you ask them. It can't hurt to ask.

Vince in Philly

Familiar Face
If it hasn't sold in so long, could be the buyer would be willing to lower the price for you if you ask them. It can't hurt to ask.

He started out at $575 or $550 and has been lowering the price in $25 increments over the last 6 months. Not in a big hurry to sell I guess...

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
He started out at $575 or $550 and has been lowering the price in $25 increments over the last 6 months. Not in a big hurry to sell I guess...

So you can save him like six months and ask him what his rock bottom is, and what you think it's worth, and see if he bites. It works, sometimes.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Not a competitive price for that Jacket on ebay. If you know that is the style you are looking for, just keep looking. This Coat is more post war, 50s. probably horsehide, lining? looks too nice to be sheep. Not what is typically thought of as a Barnstormer. looks to be in very nice condition. Shoulder wear is also an issue. Zipper must be original and well sewn on both sides, no fraying or separation.

The jacket would get more interest priced at $325 with a Best Offer. You can make offers to sellers. Just write them and tell them your offer. Some sellers will negotiate a return, worth asking. Be as sure as you can, ask questions, ask for pics.

Look around ebay for this style/look. Look on etsy.

I sold this one for $150 size 38 Black, Horsehide label, less condition. These were not the best Leather jacket you could buy. There was a difference among and between brands. Labels were not a guarantee. This style is seen with many catalog labels.
g7WRzs7NHVxDOxi1gVBeQLi73xlIyoftjhtiwj_GDZral92uEgt-gqwzZTpMzDTu4Q4ioGQALOY=w1708-h960-no

BxIi1HbFrwu-uSQqQbBTZc9gAy6oyfsyuA4IwFv_us92fCPIG8OvuW8pTtn0aZHWP49kWPlZPDc=w1708-h960-no

AmWwpBnIpT3YqbGBM9wphWsUEZCsLj0uwRhDydnWOWAqDUXrPoXR2nJEu-OWTX6ov_WJBfIdfVA=w1708-h960-no
8SUoMUMhmTGAMLQQBugv6mqQQUaScVI99VmN9NtRRna-83sBPI59pQoaz2BOn1ulSCpMoKOR9aQ=w1708-h960-no

robrinay

One Too Many
Schott made a similar jacket in the early 1959s. I had one with the black Perfecto label but the sheepskin lining fell apart when I cleaned it.

Edward

Bartender
Rather too rich for my blood. Lovely jacket, but I'd struggle to justify more than GBP150 in it (at time of writing, about USD200), and that's assuming it's all legit. I say this on the basis that it doesn't seen to be an especially rare style, and it's also a very generic, smaller size (in terms of what vintage has survivied). I could see the price being markedyl higher (by as much as maybe GBP50-100) if it was a rare larger size, like a 46 / 48.

Smells to me like deliberate keyword stuffing of the auction title for search and browse manipulation. Against ebay rules, though enforcement is typically poor.
So true. And so annoying to have to plow thru those listings to get to the real meat and potatoes.

Figured it's not Langlitz but I don't recognize this styling and if someone's asking a $1500, I would be inclined to think they know something that I don't. And I would be wrong.

It's getting worse and worse, Ton. If you look for the "cafe racer" for example, 75% of the hits will various motorcycle jacket styles that are all but the CR style, with the rest being either mislabeled or just keyword stuffing. Like this one, for example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bat...Jacket-Racing-Bomber-Mens-Small-/122146164418
What possessed them to list it as Bates when the Kehoe would go for the equal amount of money?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think it's a Langlitz. Stitching around pockets is dead on. Has that "vibe" which can only be seen by armchair amateurs such as myself.

I think it's a Langlitz. Stitching around pockets is dead on. Has that "vibe" which can only be seen by armchair amateurs such as myself.

See, I thought the exact same thing as the jacket has a sort of a Langlitz vibe but then again, many details are off. Langlitz always did the double stitch rows on the sleeve cuffs and I've never seen one without a wind flap - all of which is missing on the jacket above. There are other details, like the distinct bottom hem stitching present on all of their styles, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred