Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions Sought on Heron Collar

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I hope I'm not bugging people. I've picked FL's collective brain on linings, cuffs, belts, etc., and now it's the collar (for a Long Half Belt/Hercules type). What do you guys think of this this particular collar (off a Himel Bros. Heron). I sorta like it because what do I need a shirt collar for anyway and this seems like it would make more sense turned up. Two reasons I'm not so sure are 1) Why did the style die out if it worked for people and 2) It reminds me of Mary Hartman's Peter Pan collars.

heroncollar_zps188a74c6.jpg

mhmh.jpg

bretron

Call Me a Cab
It's awesome, tho not standard by today's "standard", which is partial reason for it being so awesome (iffen you ask me). "Shawl collar"

Last edited:

Ishmael

Practically Family
Yep, bretron is right, "it's awesome". Not really sure how it would look on the jacket your proposing, but my gut feeling is it would look "awesome". One of the real benefits of the shawl collar is that it leaves you with a really nice "v zone", and will very nicely fit and frame a muffler, tie, bolo as well as leave you a little more room to show off your shirt. With a shawl collar, you'll want to make sure you've got a lining your wanting to show off as well.

BTW, the heron has a "shawl collar" but the round part is, as you note with the Hartman photo, an approximation of a "club collar". Personally I think club collars are great.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Yep, bretron is right, "it's awesome". Not really sure how it would look on the jacket your proposing, but my gut feeling is it would look "awesome". One of the real benefits of the shawl collar is that it leaves you with a really nice "v zone", and will very nicely fit and frame a muffler, tie, bolo as well as leave you a little more room to show off your shirt. With a shawl collar, you'll want to make sure you've got a lining your wanting to show off as well.

BTW, the heron has a "shawl collar" but the round part is, as you note with the Hartman photo, an approximation of a "club collar". Personally I think club collars are great.

You mockin mr with all them "quotes"? ;P

Ishmael

Practically Family
Sorry, man, can see how it would come off that way. Not at all, just wanted to fully concur with you. I'll chalk up the miscommunication to the influenza I'm fighting with. Really should just go lay down....

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Sorry, man, can see how it would come off that way. Not at all, just wanted to fully concur with you. I'll chalk up the miscommunication to the influenza I'm fighting with. Really should just go lay down....

It's all good mayn. I totally admit i I tend to "over do it" haha! Go get a hot toddy and enjoy the ball drop!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I love the shawl collar look and I do intend to get a Heron of some sort in the future. The thing that attracts me is in part its relative rarity, but also I think that the fact that it's not hugging your neck by a standard collar will make it more comfortable in warm weather.

D

Deleted member 16736

I imagine a shawl collar will degrade the lining a bit where it's exposed. But otherwise, I think it's fine and handy in bad weather when turned up.

I picked up a double breasted horsehide jacket with a belt in Paris back in the 90's...Very cool 3/4 length, I thought 40's. It had a shawl collar with buttons for attaching a fur piece.

IXL

One Too Many
It is a bit different, which describes most of us here.:) I think it would work, with the caveat mentioned above concerning the lining.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I love the shawl collar look and I do intend to get a Heron of some sort in the future. The thing that attracts me is in part its relative rarity, but also I think that the fact that it's not hugging your neck by a standard collar will make it more comfortable in warm weather.

I'm seeing it differently (from computer images, not in person), ergo the Mary Hartman picture. I look at it as a regular collar, except the sharp "shirt collar" points are rounded off. I figured it would work the same in back and the only real difference in function would be if you chose to "stand it up." It would be a colder weather jacket so warm weather doesn't enter into my calculations. Bottom line: If this collar doesn't function in back and on the sides/lay just like on a normal Half Belt or Hercules collar (except it's more rounded), then I'm not interested.

SE-Himel-Jkt01.jpg

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I should imagine that given the shape of it, when turned up and buttoned across, a shawl collar would be pretty wind-proof and cosy.

D

Deleted member 16736

The other issue is the era. If you're not dressing 20's, it might look out of place on a 40s/50s ensemble.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
The other issue is the era. If you're not dressing 20's, it might look out of place on a 40s/50s ensemble.

Ensemble is too strong a word. I would say utility plus some understated style. Frankly, at this second, I'm leaning back to a pointed collar because all the old Hercules jackets were like that. It's just that I'm pretty decided on almost all details of a new order and that's one area where I can still "design." If I was still on the fence and Alan said, "That's the greatest idea since the discovery of fire," that would mean something to me. The same with, "No way, Jose."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot