Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DIAMOND DAVE's/Howl Clothing CAFE RACER- REVIEW

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
If you have a look at the Affiliate threads, you'll see that they are talking specifics, directly with members. "This is our newest model." "This is the new leather we have available." "Yes, we can make this up in a special fabric for you." We provide the real estate for a merchant to make this kind of direct, one-on-one exchange of information, and it has worked out quite well. The modest sum we ask for this is a fraction of what most merchants get from a single sale. And it keeps us up and running, and growing. That's how we stay alive. Members can post about products they have received, post pictures, share their thrills and disappointments as customers, all they like. That's a key part of the Lounge's value to members. The vendor who supplied the item can say "thanks for the kind words." That's still free. But this thread quickly came to look just like an Affiliate thread, with direct, Q&A, look-at-our-offerings, these-are-our-hides exchanges - and that isn't free. It is the same as our walking into a merchant's place of business and taking garments and walking out the door without paying for them. It also isn't fair to those who are a part of the Lounge's Affiliate program.
We are very proud of the service the Affiliate program offers to both members and merchants, and it will continue to grow, with new affiliates coming on board, and exclusive offers. Fedora Lounge-ony limited edition products, discounts for our members, promotions, and other things that we have in the wings to be announced soon. It's all good. And, I might point out, it avoids the frequently-raised specter of beginning to charge membership fees to remain on the Lounge's members rolls. This is something we have consistently rejected. Just as we have rejected the idea of continuing to pay the Lounge's monthly expenses out of our families' monthly budgets. I really don't know how to be more plain spoken about it. The Fedora Lounge is our baby. We intend to insure its continued good health and viability and relevance as long as we have breath.
Dave, I hope you'll stick around. I've always coveted one of your crushers, since I got my hands on one Matt Deckard was showing off in LA a few years back.
(Profuse apologies to the original poster)

I have a question I'll take to PM but in general, I totally understand all of what you guys have said here. And you know I've done my sure of b*tching about vendors here over the years. I just thought this particular instance seemed to go from 1-100 pretty quickly is all.
If you seriously have to consider more income, I'd suggest starting out with a poll asking the current members about whether a fee or ads would be less painful. Most likely you'd get a pretty even split, but who knows. I'd hate to see it go that way as there's probably lots of folks that can't afford it or just flat-out won't pay a fee. Not even sure where I fall on this one, but I don't begrudge you needing to recoup costs.

Thanks for explaining the "new model" and other bits.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
We appreciate your understanding, and the suggestions. MK, Scott, and I are 100% against having a fee for members, and we'll continue to work as hard as we can to keep it that way. PM away.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ignoring the very strange tangent this thread went off on...that jacket is gorgeous, it fits you perfectly. I seriously think I've just found my next jacket/maker.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Man, i am deeply sorry to see this get to this point. Dave is one of only a handful of true artists in this game (JC, Mark Fisher, and Himel- love Aero, but not at all the same thing IMO) that do what he does. a loss for all of us.

That said I gotta think the cost to speak your mind freely as a vendor would be FAR outweighed by the exposure youd get as a business.

But perhaps we're too far to kiss and makeup at this point?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
This all seems a bit harsh. DD didn't start this thread and from what I saw until it was deleted, he was merely answering a question or two regarding his work.

I can understand stopping vendors posting "marketing" posts if they haven't signed up for the "sponsorship" stuff but a fellow just answering a question or two seems a little draconian.

But then again, it's not my site and I don't make the rules.

Seems as if when a vender post pics of his products in a thread(as happened here)..they really belong in a affiliate thread. Customers posting pics of a vendors products in a regular forum thread however are an acceptable different story.
HD

seabass

Call Me a Cab
[video=youtube_share;7rFDM6XLQuQ]http://youtu.be/7rFDM6XLQuQ[/video]

dadonn,
im late to the party & I think the jacket is just awesome as well as your candid & detailed review...."well written"

I would love to get Diamond Daves version of the buttoned jacket with the rounded collar that was posted quite a while back...
& seems to be popular amongst the various jacket makers lately

im over in the hat section a lot & don't post much on this side
I am a giant fan & collector of Horsehide jackets both repop but mostly vintage..ive sold a lot of rare stuff as well
I have a lot of jackets more than I need but can use a DD

any way he makes caps as well not just the flighters..
I have 2 custom caps DD made & love em...they go well with leather jackets & old hogs tooo..

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv4824%3Dot%3E27%3A6%3D%3A65%3D865%3D36%3B5%3A6577434%3Bnu0mrj

this one I received a few weeks ago...bill & strap is Horsehide
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3859%3Dot%3E7%3A77%3D487%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E27%3A%3C752%3B%3A825%3Aot1lsi

hey sorry to go off topic with the OP thread
but I just wanted to show what DD can do as I like his caps.. & will hopefully get him to make me that special jacket...

sure would be cool to have more Vintage jacket threads here on this side of the forum..:cool:
che

Last edited:

dadonn

Familiar Face
As the OP of this thread gone a little askew, I do take some responsibility in promulgating Diamond Dave's goods. I did not know it was against policy for him to post pics in this thread even when prompted. Had I known this is the case, I would not have asked him to. I apologize if I was out of line in any way.

My rationale in asking Dave to post pics was an effort to demonstrate that he can and does make most anything. When I was doing my research, I happened upon his website, diamondcapco.com, which does not represent the breadth and depth of his product offerings. As a brand noobian (if anyone gets that reference, God bless ya), I assumed he made the styles of jackets shown on his website and that was that. Had I known that he, and others for that matter, make any number of styles, my comfort level would have risen considerably. Hell, I may have even considered a different design although I'm obviously more than thrilled with mine. For example, Johnson Leathers is a company that has a great reputation but their website is limited. Thanks to the information and pics (albeit pics posted by members not the merchant) I've seen on here, I now know that they are a highly reputable outfit.

In any case, thank you for the continued compliments that have trickled in. Again, this jacket worked out far better than I could have imagined and I attribute that to Diamond Dave and as importantly, my willingness to defer to his expertise and not deviate terribly from the classic J-100 pattern. If I had to do it again, the only change I would think of making is perhaps a lining other than cotton drill. The nature of the heavy weight cotton makes it a little encumbering.

dadonn

Familiar Face
Hey 2wheel, where did you see them? I saw them at Blue Green in Soho. I'd put my DD jacket up against them. You're welcome to have a look at mine if you're ever around Chelsea.

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
Hey 2wheel, where did you see them? I saw them at Blue Green in Soho. I'd put my DD jacket up against them. You're welcome to have a look at mine if you're ever around Chelsea.

Yup, Blue in Green Soho too, also in a store in Southeast Asia where I think it was even more expensive! I'd love to meet up & check out your jacket, unfortunately I leave for an overseas trip in a few days, will be back in a few months, perhaps then. Thanks for the offer, and if I haven't mentioned it before, loved your video-review!

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ignorant here.
Does "Real McCoy" custom fit their jackets also ?
They do only off the rack, no custom job. The cut of the RM is very different from the originals that the other companies copied from. If you prefer RM's cut, you probably need to go with RM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner