Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimal Hat Measurements through Golden Ratio?

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
Has anyone tried to match their face features to a hat using the golden ratio? I have studied various photographs of persons with a hat fit that looks good to my eyes; all of them follow quite nicely the golden ratio with a very small margin of error. To illustrate my point, a person with a face length of 1 (measured from the chin to the brim) should choose a hat that has a width of 1.618 (the width of the crown plus two times the width of the brim). Again, the height of the crown should be 1/1.618 = 0.618.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I tried to use the Golden Ratio to see if it provided the best brim width to crown height, and ended up with no realistic correlation, but I didn't factor in facial values. Interesting.

Brad

This IS very interesting...

As I have gained and then lost sufficient weight changing the width my face, I always knew a larger brim worked better with my fleshier countenance. The length of my face didn't change, (only one chin, for the most part) but the difference in the width (wider) prohibited me from smaller brims, not that I would want one (very often). A great Rule of thumb concept, maybe, but SO many subjective factors involved. I will be measuring my facial dimensions shortly.

How boring would life be in the absence of any obsessions.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRB

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Works well for me. I have a 7" long face (from brim to chin). Since my head is 6.75" wide (according to my VS customs) that implies a brim width of about 2 3/8" - 2 1/2" and a crown height of about 4.5". Many of my hats have dimensions close to that if I use crown height to the front crease.

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
Some ratios between famous people and their hats (width/face, face/crown):

Humphrey Bogart in "Casablanca" = (1.63 + 1.55) / 2 = 1.59
Steve Buscemi in "Boardwalk Empire" = (1.67 + 1.53) / 2 = 1.60
Harrison Ford in "the Last Crusade" = (1.84 + 1.42) / 2 = 1.63
Kevin Costner in "the Untouchables" = (1.61 + 1.69) / 2 = 1.65

Either all of these people had a natural tendency to pick up hats with ratios close to the golden ratio, or they had others to do so!

barrowjh

One Too Many
Probably right. I measured 6.5 length brim to chin, @ 1.618 comes to 10.5. My head is about 6.25 wide, so that leaves only 2 1/8th for the brim. The folks at Optimo thought that 2 1/4 was probably the right brim width for me, no more than 2 3/8ths. However, I loathe to wear a brim less than 2 1/2 in wide. I realize the stingier brims might be best for me, but I won't wear them, prefer a wider brim.

wine65

One of the Regulars
Calculations seem to come-up with what I generally prefer to wear in brim size but hits crown height about quarter inch too high for my liking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR